Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
ffemtny
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,842, Level: 25 Points: 1,842, Level: 25 Points: 1,842, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

ffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
BBQ Tip - Place sausages in freshly boiled water and let them sit for 10 minutes prior to BBQ-ing them, saves ending up with raw meat in the middle and a charred outside.

Agreed I do the same with chicken. Learned it from Granmma, never have to deal with a raw center this way.
ffemtny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #12
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffemtny View Post
Agreed I do the same with chicken. Learned it from Granmma, never have to deal with a raw center this way.
Yeah, nothing worse than having to take a piece of chicken back to be finished off after getting halfway through it; we've attended a couple of BBQ's where the chicken has been frazzed and raw at the same time, very disappointing.

I'm pretty sure as well, that the meat tastes slightly more tender after the sausages have had that "semi-boil" and then been BBQ'd; your thoughts on this, 'cos it could just be my imagination which is possible.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Is it wrong to point out the difference between grilling dead animals, and an actual BBQ process?

Sorry, I'm a bit anal on certain things..foods like this being one. To grill is to use a medium to high heat, directly over the heat source. BBQing is slow and low, using indirect heat or smoke to acheive doneness.

My problem with grilling is, as mentioned, too many times you get a nearly charred outside, and then still pink/undercooked on the inside. I generally use a hybrid method, getting one side of the grill fairly hot, while cooking on the other. Keeping the lid closed helps as well, as does keeping a spray bottle of water handy, both for flare-ups, and to keep the meat moist.

/endrant - sorry again. will now begin to compile information to share, and make you all fire it up right now with deliciousness.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricka182 View Post
Is it wrong to point out the difference between grilling dead animals, and an actual BBQ process?

Sorry, I'm a bit anal on certain things..foods like this being one. To grill is to use a medium to high heat, directly over the heat source. BBQing is slow and low, using indirect heat or smoke to acheive doneness.

My problem with grilling is, as mentioned, too many times you get a nearly charred outside, and then still pink/undercooked on the inside. I generally use a hybrid method, getting one side of the grill fairly hot, while cooking on the other. Keeping the lid closed helps as well, as does keeping a spray bottle of water handy, both for flare-ups, and to keep the meat moist.

/endrant - sorry again. will now begin to compile information to share, and make you all fire it up right now with deliciousness.
Never knew that, then again I don't BBQ but I guess it would help if those that did BBQ all knew the difference, then we'd get great food every time
Old 04-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn

ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Smoked Out Honey Ginger Chicken-

1lb chicken - I like drumsticks, easy to eat. But breasts will work fine.
1Tbsp - Ginger
1 Cup - Honey
2 Egg Whites
1/2 cup - Liquid Smoke - set aside 1 Tbsp
1/2 tsp - Black Pepper
1/2 tsp - Cumin

Mix the 1/2 cup liquid smoke with 2 cups water, let meat marinate overnight. It's worth the time. Just do it. An hour is not long enough, and a vacuum will bring too much smoke flavor in.

Next day, mix the honey, ginger, egg whites, black pepper, cumin, and 1 Tbsp liquid smoke. You can add a little water to thin out if needed. Should be about the same consistency as most store bought marinades.
Remove chicken from liquid smoke/water mix letting excess drip off; do not rinse or pat down.
Add chicken to honey mix, let sit at room temp while you are lighting the coals. Get grill surface as hot and clean as possible.
For coals, use a side area for heat control, or for gas just reduce heat to medium, place chicken on grill. Keep chicken moist with water. When chicken is nearly cooked through, increase heat to max and slather on more honey mix. Direct heat to chicken to bake on the mix, only a minute per side.
Remember, meat continues to cook after the heat is killed, so don't let it dry out. You should wait 5 minutes after you remove from the grill, then eat.
Direct heat grilling is this method, but try not to put the meat literally right over a flame until the end.
Usually, 12-15 minutes, flipping once or twice.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Never knew that, then again I don't BBQ but I guess it would help if those that did BBQ all knew the difference, then we'd get great food every time
Yeah, it's a very popular misconception. Most people just use the terms interchangeably, including myself depending on who I'm talking to. If someone says BBQ, I know they probably mean grill..but I try not to be an ass about it. My post was more of an informative thing.

I just started getting more into BBQing over the past few years. Thanks to American TV producers, that have created TV with BBQ competitions that make me drool. I'm working on my own BBQ sauce recipe, hoping to even bottle and sell some. I have 2 versions, one sweet and smoky, the other hot and hotter.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #17
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Yeah, it's a very popular misconception. Most people just use the terms interchangeably, including myself depending on who I'm talking to. If someone says BBQ, I know they probably mean grill..but I try not to be an ass about it. My post was more of an informative thing.

I just started getting more into BBQing over the past few years. Thanks to American TV producers, that have created TV with BBQ competitions that make me drool. I'm working on my own BBQ sauce recipe, hoping to even bottle and sell some. I have 2 versions, one sweet and smoky, the other hot and hotter.
Ghost peppers (bhut jolokia) in any of that by any chance?
Old 04-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #18
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn

Bhuts are hard to find in my area..even at Whole Foods. I tend to run with Habaneros for heat.

And more info if you didn't know, the Bhut is no longer king. In fact, it's been surpassed twice already. First there was the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T pepper, rated at nearly 1.5 million Scoville units. Now there is a new king as of earlier this year, the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion is rated at 2 million Scoville units. All 3 are hot enough to require protection when handling.

Also to note, hot sauces have been on the rise recently business wise. More than 100 new brands have been introduced in various markets. The heat chase will never end now that there is a productive market for heat pain. More and more growers will try new things to boost the heat, and I don't see a steady champ reigning longer than a year or so before a new challenger comes along.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
Goat
Max Brawn
Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 2 years
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: MEAT
Goat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machine

Prime ribeye grilled rare.
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #20
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Bhuts are hard to find in my area..even at Whole Foods. I tend to run with Habaneros for heat.

And more info if you didn't know, the Bhut is no longer king. In fact, it's been surpassed twice already. First there was the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T pepper, rated at nearly 1.5 million Scoville units. Now there is a new king as of earlier this year, the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion is rated at 2 million Scoville units. All 3 are hot enough to require protection when handling.

Also to note, hot sauces have been on the rise recently business wise. More than 100 new brands have been introduced in various markets. The heat chase will never end now that there is a productive market for heat pain. More and more growers will try new things to boost the heat, and I don't see a steady champ reigning longer than a year or so before a new challenger comes along.
Yeah, I know, it annoys me when programs keep referring to the Ghost Pepper as THE hottest when it was the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T pepper that was really the hottest known, at that time.

I couldn't get any of the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T pepper but managed to get hold of some Bhut Jolokia pepper in dry powder form; it's hot Smokey too; I soon realised, after opening the powder the first time, that I have to stand well back and not have the nasal passages anywhere near over the packaging because of that very small puff of dust that rises when it's opened...talk about drilling out the nasal passage with acid, painful for hours and not a thing to take away the heat and I never even smelled the stuff...live and learn, I guess.