Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   You're a gym douchebag if... (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9757)

SeventySeven 04-25-2012 11:01 AM

You're a gym douchebag if...

..you train with any intensity. Brought to you by the influx of "things not to do in your gym" videos and articles and Planet Fitness. God forbid you train hard enough to grunt and grimace and lift heavy enough that you have a drop some weight once in awhile.

Fazc 04-25-2012 11:09 AM

Hehe, if I'm ever in the States again I'm going to visit on of those places. They sound crazy.

TitanCT 04-25-2012 11:19 AM

Grunting can actually be a waste of energy...just sayin.

ONpump17 04-25-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventySeven (Post 235846)
..you train with any intensity. Brought to you by the influx of "things not to do in your gym" videos and articles and Planet Fitness. God forbid you train hard enough to grunt and grimace and lift heavy enough that you have a drop some weight once in awhile.

Generally videos on the topic seem to be focused on the poseurs and idiots. Like this guy we call TryHard at my school gym. He'll grunt so loud, you can see people getting weirded out and annoyed....but he's not moving anything significant. He grunting like it's music...over preacher curls. And if that isn't bad enough, on his relatively light preacher curls, he has to transverse the gym and find someone he knows (we try to avoid eye contact) to spot him. It's the most embarrassing thing I've done in a gym since I farted so terribly it emptied out half of my highschool gym (which was small, but that's how egg farts and squat cleans are).

ONpump17 04-25-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanCT (Post 235851)
Grunting can actually be a waste of energy...just sayin.

I believe I read a study where it did have a small positive effect on how much weight one lifted.

BendtheBar 04-25-2012 11:23 AM

Grunt women grunt!

ONpump17 04-25-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 235848)
Hehe, if I'm ever in the States again I'm going to visit on of those places. They sound crazy.

HERC and I already have a rough idea of what we'd do if the opportunity arose.

BendtheBar 04-25-2012 11:25 AM

I find it funny that Planet Fitness doesn't allow grunting or slamming of weights, yet they sponsor the Biggest Loser TV show which has non-stop yelling, grunting and slamming of equipment.

Sponsor fail.

BendtheBar 04-25-2012 11:25 AM

We should plan a Planet Fitness meetup.

22 insane apes loose in the asylum...

ONpump17 04-25-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 235859)
We should plan a Planet Fitness meetup.

22 insane apes loose in the asylum...

From what I hear, the quality of each location tends to vary with the management. Some have only barbells that are attached to equipment, while others will be half-decent. Again, only what I've heard.