Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
wannabesquatter
New Brawn
Points: 174, Level: 3 Points: 174, Level: 3 Points: 174, Level: 3
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

wannabesquatter is off to a good startwannabesquatter is off to a good startwannabesquatter is off to a good start
Default Would you rather?

Would you rather live to be very old and have suffered from cancer or some other disease where treatment is very harsh and your days are not comfortable or be very healthy and only live to be about 50, with no disease in site, but die from natural causes. I much prefer the later. I have seen way to many people suffer in my life with cancer and it is not pretty.
wannabesquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
sirlulzbody
New Brawn
Points: 79, Level: 1 Points: 79, Level: 1 Points: 79, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

sirlulzbody is off to a bad start

I would never want to live a life with a disease. It does take a lot out of you. I would much rather live a shorter life and know that I was healthy and not worry about anything than to have to have treatments done all the time. One can never really tell though because these diseases can hit super fast.
sirlulzbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Well, I just turned 50 last week and so far I'm fit and healthy.

However, there's a very good chance I've inherited idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, which is a progressive and incurable lung disease. It isn't pretty. My Dad and my Aunt both died from it.

From where I'm standing, I'd prefer to take my chances with the disease and have the extra lifespan.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
storm1507
Max Brawn
Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Con-Cret :D
storm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Well, I just turned 50 last week and so far I'm fit and healthy.

However, there's a very good chance I've inherited idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, which is a progressive and incurable lung disease. It isn't pretty. My Dad and my Aunt both died from it.

From where I'm standing, I'd prefer to take my chances with the disease and have the extra lifespan.
Yeah, I would like more than 2 more years as well.

Wouldn't it be great if we could all make that decision for ourselves. You better be ready for whatever and whenever.
storm1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

If I am with my wife, who I love very much and my wonderfull family. Pain isn't a issue.

I'd say me personaly I hide a majority of my pain because I love my family and don't want them to see I hurt and change the way we interact.

If I have the love of my family but have pain, let me live to 100.

I guess this is all based on how people can handle pain.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabesquatter View Post
Would you rather live to be very old and have suffered from cancer or some other disease where treatment is very harsh and your days are not comfortable or be very healthy and only live to be about 50, with no disease in site, but die from natural causes. I much prefer the later. I have seen way to many people suffer in my life with cancer and it is not pretty.
You say "50" like it's old...hhahahahaaa I'm 56, close to 57 and I'm still lookin' for PR's. Never give up. Granted, I have no cancer(yet) but have a whole pile of medication I have to take every day. I'll take my medication and enjoy my life with my Grandkids and an occasional PR as long as I can. Bottom line, life doesn't give you a choice. You live with what you get.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
You say "50" like it's old...hhahahahaaa I'm 56, close to 57 and I'm still lookin' for PR's. Never give up. Granted, I have no cancer(yet) but have a whole pile of medication I have to take every day. I'll take my medication and enjoy my life with my Grandkids and an occasional PR as long as I can. Bottom line, life doesn't give you a choice. You live with what you get.
I'm only 46 and don't have cancer eather, but I do live with pain every day and I say this. nuff said. Ryano you rock.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
storm1507
Max Brawn
Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Con-Cret :D
storm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machine

I've dealt w/ skin cancer (basal cell-the less serious kind) for over 20 years. I had actually forgotten about this when I posted earlier. You just deal w/ what the good Lord asks you to.
storm1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I'd like to live to a ripe old age while still having my mental, and physical health.

But!

If I were to gett sick I'd fight to live, because I'm not a pussy.

I just turned 50 last month, and I do not really consider myslef old. More experienced yes, old, no. Sure, my body is aging, but that is just part of life. I'm actually looking forward to the years I have ahead of me regardless of the fact that my physical self is not what it was in years gone by.

There is still a lot of good life left to live.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

i already live with a disease...next question, please.
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote