Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts
Default Becoming A Personal Trainer: Programme Design

As I've mentioned a couple of times before in previous threads I'm currently partaking in a course to become a qualified personal trainer. I have both positive and negative things to say about the course that I may address in a later thread, but for now I just want to pass. I have my anatomy exam tomorrow, which I'm actually masochistically looking forward to, if nothing else so I can simply get it out the way!

Anyway, a big component of the course is that I have to design a training programme for my partner. While it is essentially make-believe, if you will, the programme should be designed around their actual goals. I've put together an approximate routine, but I was simply wondering if you wonderful guys and girls could help me out with refining it.

First, my friend's main goal is that she wants to be a fitness model, good times! Our routines have to be eight weeks long, split into two four week cycles and the "method" of training has to be different in each cycle - muscle endurance, strength, power, etc. One thing that's pissed me off about the course is they keep banging on about training muscle endurance, so I've decided to start my routine on strength.

Four week focused on the building blocks, the foundation. After that I'm upping the reps to hypertrophy to build some size, some shape and start getting into the more 'fitness model' field of training. I also have to put cardio in, but that's another story...

Anyway, here's my routine thus far, any info, help or critiques would be extremely appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Note: I need to have a few "training systems" in each one, hence my use of drop sets, tri sets, and so on.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
gaster
Brawn
Points: 574, Level: 11 Points: 574, Level: 11 Points: 574, Level: 11
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

gaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good posts

Looks like a good program. I think that it would be neat to be a trainer. I have a long ways to go to even think of that but imagine how good you will feel when you help someone reach their goals.
gaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +9 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: ANIMAL PAK
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Looks good to me. Who are you get certified through? I'm certified through ACE, NASM, AFPA and bought the NSCA course but never took the test for it.

Personal Trainer Certification Exam Sample Test: National Council on Strength and Fitness

^ There's a sample test.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:52 AM   #4
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
First, my friend's main goal is that she wants to be a fitness model, good times! Our routines have to be eight weeks long, split into two four week cycles and the "method" of training has to be different in each cycle - muscle endurance, strength, power, etc. One thing that's pissed me off about the course is they keep banging on about training muscle endurance, so I've decided to start my routine on strength.

Four week focused on the building blocks, the foundation. After that I'm upping the reps to hypertrophy to build some size, some shape and start getting into the more 'fitness model' field of training. I also have to put cardio in, but that's another story...
Hey Hazz,

You're just as qualified as anyone on this board, or moreso, to put a routine together so I don't think you need much help there. The only counsel I would give you is from the perspective of someone on the other side of these courses, is to make sure you are giving the examiner what they expect to see for a good grade.

Make sure you're basing your answers off what the course has taught you, and what the reading material states, rather than any preconceived notions you have from your own training. In the same vein, you could ask here and you know that I or Btb or plenty others could give you a good routine but if it doesn't match the expectations of the course you will not get passed.

This is not the time to be a maverick. Once you're certified (or perhaps if you do an MA/PhD) you will have much more autonomy over what you do, just like in any profession.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Fazc; 03-31-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Hey Hazz,

You're just as qualified as anyone on this board, or moreso, to put a routine together so I don't think you need much help there. The only counsel I would give you is from the perspective of someone on the other side of these courses, is to make sure you are giving the examiner what they expect to see for a good grade.

Make sure you're basing your answers off what the course has taught you, and what the reading material states, rather than any preconceived notions you have from your own training. In the same vein, you could ask here and you know that I or Btb or plenty others could give you a good routine but if it doesn't match the expectations of the course you will not get passed.

This is not the time to be a maverick. Once you're certified (or perhaps if you do an MA/PhD) you will have much more autonomy over what you do, just like in any profession.

Hope that helps.
Excellent advice. 'Playing the game' can suck ass at times but there are occasions when it is a necessary evil. Do whatever it takes to pass the course and then you can begin the process of making people fitter and stronger through routines that give real results.

Your routine above is really good Hazz btw.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote