Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Bodybuilding debates (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9423)

SeventySeven 03-22-2012 10:37 AM

Bodybuilding debates

I have stumbled on a war on going between several parties in BBing. The Hodge Twins, Lobliner, No Bullshit bodybuilding( Ian Mcarthy) and others. I am going to bring up things that Ian claims and get your opinions.

1. Eating immediatley Post workout is bull. Stated, you never come close to depleting your glycogen therefore you dont need carbs PWO, you cant spike your insulin to be anabolic only anti catabolic unless injected. As long as you have Protein within 24 hours your good to go.

2. Glycemic Index in Bull

3. Carb is a Carb( IIFYM)- He claims no matter what a carb source is a carb source, whether its a poptart or a yam its the same thing. He eats grass fed beef, so if a carb is a carb wouldnt that apply to the other macronutrients?

4.BCAA's are bull Saying there effect is grossly exaggerated and was over hyped by Lobliner to make money.

theres a few to get the ball rolling

Fazc 03-22-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventySeven (Post 226511)
The Hodge Twins, Lobliner, No Bullshit bodybuilding( Ian Mcarthy) and others.

Who?

I think I will default to whatever Emeka has to say on the subject!

SeventySeven 03-22-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 226513)
Who?

Ian McCarthy is No Bullshit Bodybuilding on facebook and liftingforlife on youtube

MC 03-22-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 226513)
Who?

Yeah, I am with Fazc here.

And I'll add:

All carbs aren't equal. Table sugar is not equal to steamed broccoli.

I might be inclined to agree with the spirit of the the BCAA argument. I know a lot of strong, advanced lifters swear by them (and I take it that they can tell the difference), but I am not buying that anyone walking into a gym needs to take them.

For 90% of people who train, I would say their money is better served in other places (like more steak and less chicken).

EDIT: This is very snarky of me, but I expect someone spouting knowledge and having a site called No Bull$hit Bodybuilding to, um, LOOK like a bodybuilder.

SeventySeven 03-22-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *MC* (Post 226518)
Yeah, I am with Fazc here.

And I'll add:

All carbs aren't equal. Table sugar is not equal to steamed broccoli.

I might be inclined to agree with the spirit of the the BCAA argument. I know a lot of strong, advanced lifters swear by them (and I take it that they can tell the difference), but I am not buying that anyone walking into a gym needs to take them.

For 90% of people who train, I would say their money is better served in other places (like more steak and less chicken).

I find the IIFYM vs Wholefoods it usually younger guys supporting the latter and older the former, given younger guys can get away with it with their boosted metabs, older guys have to be more careful. That being said nothing is ever black and white everyones body responds differently.

BendtheBar 03-22-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

1. Eating immediatley Post workout is bull.
Eat where you're most hungry. If you're trying to build muscle, why wouldn't you eat after lifting?

I am thirsty and hungry after lifting so I drink and eat.

I understand that obsessing that one must consume protein the second lifting is done is OCD, but let's not push the needle too far in the other direction. If you are serious about building muscle you will want to eat sometime soon after lifting. I prefer to take a protein shake after lifting because I am thirsty and want to get some nutrition in my body while I cook dinner.

Perhaps this is idiotic on some grand level. I don't care. It makes sense, so I do it.

Quote:

As long as you have Protein within 24 hours your good to go.
Oh, ok then. I'll wait 23 hours after lifting to eat protein. This makes sense.

BendtheBar 03-22-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

BCAA's are bull Saying there effect is grossly exaggerated and was over hyped by Lobliner to make money.
I hear this all the time. Yet, using them during cutting while on intermittent fasting made a world of difference for me. My DOMS are also reduced when using BCAAs.

Fazc 03-22-2012 11:13 AM

Not that I know too much about all this, but Martin Berkhan, Lyle McDonald, Ori Hofelmeiker (sp) and a few others have based entire dietary approaches which have been hugely successful and hinge directly on post-workout feeding. Something to consider.

BendtheBar 03-22-2012 11:22 AM

Ori recommend to me (indirectly through a friend) that I (or bodybuilders in general) take in BCAAs or protein during the underfeeding to help retain muscle mass. Wesley Silveira advocates this as well, I believe. He has worked with scores of clients using Warrior Diet/IF style plans.

My only point in bringing this up is to mention that both of these gentlemen believe BCAA supplementation is beneficial in certain circumstances.

Because of their opinions and my personal experimentation, I think BCAA supplementation is a very good choice while cutting, or using IF/Warrior, or if someone has a slow metabolism and can't eat as much, or if someone has a physically demanding job, or if someone gets very poor sleep, etc.

I am no expert, but I certainly don't think this is a black or white issue. Not everything has to be black or white.

MC 03-22-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 226525)
Ori recommend to me (indirectly through a friend) that I (or bodybuilders in general) take in BCAAs or protein during the underfeeding to help retain muscle mass. Wesley Silveira advocates this as well, I believe. He has worked with scores of clients using Warrior Diet/IF style plans.

My only point in bringing this up is to mention that both of these gentlemen believe BCAA supplementation is beneficial in certain circumstances.

This makes sense to me. Completely. And you know we trust your feedback.