Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #31
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I saw this answer on another forum and thought it was good and belonged in this thread. Maybe there is a happy medium in this reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Guy
If someone plays a musical instrument, they are a musician. If they play a musical instrument professionally then they are a professional musician.

If you lift weights, you are a weightlifter. If you lift weights professionally then you are a professional weightlifter.

If you lift weights for the purpose of aesthetics, you are a bodybuilder. If you lift weights for the purpose of aesthetics professionally then......... you get my point.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #32
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I really do not understand the preoccupation non-competitors have with being called 'powerlifters' or 'weightlifters' or 'bodybuilders'.

On the one hand I can see what people are saying, that my stance may come across as arrogant or condescending but I don't see this being considered the other way around. What are gym lifters saying when they label themselves in a way which makes it appear that they do the same things as people who actually compete. As I've mentioned in this thread already, competition is a very different kettle of fish to gym lifting and gym-lifters rarely appreciate that unless they have had some competition experience.

Just as I mean no disrespect to gym lifters I would ask people to consider what implications they are putting out there to competitors, when they as gym-goers want to be called 'powerlifters' without ever having set foot on a platform.

So again no disrespect to gym lifters, but at the same time let's call it what it is and not trivialise the hard work, financial commitments, money and time commitments that are involved in actually getting up there and competing on the day.

I can do a passable snatch & clean jerk and by anyones standards I'm in decent shape. I'm not going to be calling myself a bodybuilder or a weightlifter any time soon though. It is what it is.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #33
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

To me bodybuilder has a different connotation. Powerlifting is a sport. Bodybuilding is a process and a sport. If you search for the definition of bodybuilding, 9 times out of 10 you'll get something regarding physique changes and not a sport.

The Free Dictionary, for example:

Quote:
exercise that builds muscles through tension
Whereas powerlifting is:

Quote:
A weightlifting competition in which participants compete in the squat, dead lift, and bench press.
Wikipedia on bodybuilding:

Quote:
Bodybuilding is a form of body modification involving intensive muscle hypertrophy. An individual who engages in this activity is referred to as a bodybuilder.
On powerlifting:

Quote:
Powerlifting is a strength sport.
My only point is that the general public views it in multiple ways, primarily as a transformation process. The sport of bodybuilding is seen as a freak show; a fringe side of the transformation process.

My 2 cents.

I called myself a bodybuilder for a long time. I certainly never meant to imply I was a competitor. 95% of the transformation stories I do, people say things like "then I found bodybuilding." Most people simply see bodybuilding as something that is personal, and not a sport.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-30-2012 at 05:48 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote