Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #11
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Bodybuilder - Someone who competes in physique competitions
Powerlifter - Somebody that competes the Sqaut, Bench, and Deadlift
Weightlifter - Somebody that competes the Olympic lifts
Yeah I'd agree with this, I've never considered someone who has not entered a Powerlifting competition to be a Powerlifter. Most people who have competed will appreciate how different competition is to youtube/gym lifting, it's a completely different game.

Gym lifting is fantastic, you get to Bench at your own pace. With your regular bar. With your regular spotter. Preceded by your regular daily routine. With your regular audience. With your regular gym time. With your regular food intake. With your regular sleep time.

Competition is different, you lift to someone else's schedule, with someone else's bar, with strange spotters, with a messed up daily routine, a large audience, usually a different start time. Perhaps a varied diet and varied sleep due to travel.

I'm sure Rich could comprise a comparative list like I have done above for bodybuilding as well. Anyone with any competition experience knows how different it is, I'll never accept calling someone a powerlifter if they have never stepped up to the platform and competed.

Never!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Gym lifting is fantastic, you get to Bench at your own pace. With your regular bar. With your regular spotter. Preceded by your regular daily routine. With your regular audience. With your regular gym time. With your regular food intake. With your regular sleep time.

Competition is different, you lift to someone else's schedule, with someone else's bar, with strange spotters, with a messed up daily routine, a large audience, usually a different start time. Perhaps a varied diet and varied sleep due to travel.
Interesting comparison. I'm sure most don't consider this stuff when thinking, "I could lift that much." I know I never did.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Now, this is interesting. I never even considered that a lack of competition meant anything at all. I'm not really a pigeon hole type person, and barely anyone I know competes, so perhaps that's why.

But to me, in my opinion up until now, if someone works solely to improve the look of their body, they're a body builder, if someone works to improve their bench, squat, deadlift, they're a powerlifter. Ditto, with C+P and Snatch, then they're a weightlifter. If you're just lifting to get stronger and fitter and don't really care about bodyfat or totals, then you're just an all around athlete who uses a gym instead of a field.

USAPL says I'm a powerlifter right now, and I've never lifted an ounce in anger. Now I will soon, but suppose I decide I hate competing, and just want to continue my body recomposition by focussing on, and steadily increasing, my squat, bench and deadlift?

What am I then? What is Ryano? He only benches, is he a powerlifter? You want to explain to him he's "not"?

Pigeon holes are for pigeons, I humbly submit, but this thread gave me food for thought.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96

Last edited by MikeM; 03-14-2012 at 06:28 PM.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #14
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

MikeM just remember this is a free and open forum were everyone can express there thoughts and opinion. Just as you can.

This is a subject that people almost never open up about. Please read all the posts starting from the first few on why I even opened up. Post #6 is a good one.
Thanks Mike.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

I am a guy who wants to be big and strong. I use a combination of "Powerlifting", "strength training" and "bodybuilding" principles. I always thought that made me a weightlifter, but apparently unless I am competing in OLYMPIC Weightlifting, I am not even that.....

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
SeventySeven
Max Brawn
Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 1 year+
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Xtend
SeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machine

I always use the word " rookie" or "aspiring" bodybuilder/powerlifter when i describe myself.I love both sports. I put in all the work and dedication to compete and have a goal set. I think the title should be earned, anyone can walk into a gym do some curls and tell someone they "bodybuild".
SeventySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #17
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
MikeM just remember this is a free and open forum were everyone can express there thoughts and opinion. Just as you can.

This is a subject that people almost never open up about. Please read all the posts starting from the first few on why I even opened up. Post #6 is a good one.
Thanks Mike.
I understand this is important to you. I understand it hit home. I don't understand why you are so narrow minded about this. People might think different than you. So what?

I think you are too touchy. I grew up in PG Co. Maryland. A whitish rural state (and I'm white) dealing with an increasingly black (ie urban) population. Lots of friction. Most folks learned to live and let live. Some stayed prickly about every interaction and still look for a bigot behind every tree.

See what you look for. If you expect wheelchair bigots, you will find them. If you ignore perceived slights, you will not see any bigotry, hopefully.

I'm on your side in general. Don't pigeon hole me.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I have to admit I've used both words loosely, especially the term bodybuilder. For over 20 years of my life bodybuilding was my primary passion. Call it naive, perhaps because I never competed, but I always looked at bodybuilding as a process that anyone could embark upon. I was a bodybuilder.

I never meant to fool anyone into believing I competed by this usage. My intention was only to express what exactly the heck I was doing.

Both sides of the coin on this issue have valid points. Eager trainees want to express their love of muscle building by claiming I am a bodybuilder. For many the definition of bodybuilding is someone who pursues building a better body. This is how I viewed it for the longest time.

When I walk into a strange gym and see someone with a substantial amount of muscle mass training using a familiar bodybuilding method, I still think to my...that's a bodybuilder.

I respect the view of competitive bodybuilders. They are dedicated in ways most people will never understand. They have a right to be proud of what they've accomplished. Competing in a contest and winning a show isn't the same thing as building muscle in a gym.

At the end of the day my only goal is to hold people more dear to me that concepts and beliefs. I try to respect that everyone is at a different level of learning, and remember that young lifters haven't formed well-rounded views on things that might be touchy subjects for us experienced lifters.

When I see an eager 18 year old making great gains and stating, I am a bodybuilder, I guess I still see that 18 year old in myself trying to be Tom Platz and proclaiming, I am a bodybuilder.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #19
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I like the term Powerbuilder, since afterall, its about being Big, Strong and Awesome.
big_swede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #20
tank
Max Brawn
Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: Rookie
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor

The difference in my opinion is contextual:

My goal in the gym is to become stronger with size as a secondary or eventual necessity to getting stronger. So in that respect I am more a power lifter than bodybuilder.

I consider myself, and all three specific sports, a weightlifter like a hockey player and figure skater both are ice-skaters.

Now when speaking of competition, I am certainly no bodybuilder, power lifter, or weightlifter. Just as I ride a motorcycle or drive a car, but I neither race cars nor motorcycles.

I suppose if I was obligated to declare a competitive position, I could argue that I’m more power lifter than any of the others because my goals and my training contribute to the competitive criteria of power lifting.

...just because I look amazing also doesn't technically qualify me as a bodybuilder.

20 JAN 12 at 200 (90) BW - 385/275/405 (175/125/184) SQ/B/D

29 MAY 12 at 206 (93) BW - 135/175 (61/79) SN/CJ

Last edited by tank; 03-15-2012 at 06:46 AM.
tank is offline   Reply With Quote