Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
troy86
New Brawn
Points: 544, Level: 10 Points: 544, Level: 10 Points: 544, Level: 10
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

troy86 is off to a bad start
Default Stupid question but I will ask anyway

Been feeling kinda lost lately. I guess you could call it some sort of spiritual confusion. Wasn't raised around religion so I don't know what to call this or what I'm going through. It's not really depression but I find myself wondering what the point is and if there's something more important than just watching TV and trying to work overtime to make more money until I can't take it anymore.

Guess I am not really so much looking for answers but wondering why I feel this way and if others do.
troy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Hey there,
I think you'll find that many people have struggled with those exact questions. I don't read your struggles as having to do with religion as much as having to do with societal programming. Everyday, we are bombarded with messages about who we should be and how we should go about being that person. These messages include how to work, what work has comparative value, and more.

I have personally found that the more often I challenge this programming and instead opt to seek and find the things that truly bring me reward and comfort, the happier and more peaceful I am.

When your thoughts, heart, and actions are in good alignment, the world just takes on an entirely different hue. Trust me.

So, yes, there is far more to life than working overtime and being in a rat race not of your own choosing.

Good luck with everything.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy86 View Post
Been feeling kinda lost lately. I guess you could call it some sort of spiritual confusion. Wasn't raised around religion so I don't know what to call this or what I'm going through. It's not really depression but I find myself wondering what the point is and if there's something more important than just watching TV and trying to work overtime to make more money until I can't take it anymore.

Guess I am not really so much looking for answers but wondering why I feel this way and if others do.
There tends to be specific points in people's lives where they ask themselves that question along with the other familiar question of "Why am I here?"; it's not a bad thing, as long as it's not overly focussed on or starts to interfere with daily living, which it can since there's no real answer to either question.

Sometimes, it can be highly beneficial because you get to think things through that you may not otherwise have paid any attention to and as such change some part of your lifestyle or focus for the future.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

It would be wierd if you didn't wonder about that.
I keep threatning to move to Alaska, build a cabin in the woods, and dissappear.

I like my job, but I do not live for it.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I think sometimes it's good to reflect and ask at the end of my life when I look back, what do I want to see?

We often invest a lot of time in things that are pointless to us. I sometimes catch myself watching TV Show X instead of playing a game with my daughters, or things of this nature. Or I plan another pointless landscaping project instead of taking my wife out to eat.

I think it helps to be proactive about the things that are important, and to limit the distractions. Make a bucket list, take safe risks, have fun. Try new things. Adventure, go on long drives, explore. Talk to strange people. Talk to women out of your reach. Do things you are afraid to do, but do them anyway.

Another thing that has changed my life was learning about selflessness and servitude. For 30 years all I cared about was what others were giving me, not what I was giving others.

Willingly serving those in need, regardless of the avenue (lifting or feeding the hungry), will fix a lot of things that are broken inside.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +9 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: ANIMAL PAK
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

I think everyone reaches a point in their lives where they wonder why God put us here and what our purpose is. Believe me, I've been wondering that same thing since I have been unemployed. I feel like I am just wasting my life since I do basically nothing and I'm not satisfied with basically any point of my life, at the moment.

Keep your head up. Focus on the things you do right. You work everyday, you are providing for your family, then you are making a difference in this world. Focus on the things you can give back to the world that was given to you. Make personal records in the gym if that helps your confidence.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
gaster
Brawn
Points: 574, Level: 11 Points: 574, Level: 11 Points: 574, Level: 11
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

gaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good posts

Do you feel this way often? Maybe it is the just blah weather? There is that seasonal disorder that deals with this. Have you talked to anyone of your family about it? Or a doctor? Maybe they could help. Or vent about it here somemore. You have some great friends on here that will listen and help you work through it.
gaster is offline   Reply With Quote