Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

View Poll Results: Which would you rather have?
Genetics 3 18.75%
Work Ethics 13 81.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #31
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post
I implement a hard core "worth ethic" because in order to remove the millions of fat cells on welfare, tax the muscles and spend the nervous system, I must withdraw from my personal debit card and spin the genetics; its depends on me.

Period.
Don, you beat that metaphor to within an inch of its life.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #32
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

it depends on the person. some rely to heavily on their genetics and some who have no genetics sit and bitch because they "cant get anywhere".
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #33
tonpaulerc
Brawn
Points: 845, Level: 15 Points: 845, Level: 15 Points: 845, Level: 15
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

tonpaulerc is off to a good starttonpaulerc is off to a good starttonpaulerc is off to a good start

Genetics are poor in my family, so for me it has to be work ethic!
tonpaulerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #34
emekajokammor
Menace
Max Brawn
Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Probably seated row
Fav Supp: Anabolic Pump
emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

Love to hear you guy's different angles on this topic

www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
emekajokammor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #35
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

You'd be a fool to say genetics don't play a role, but a solid work ethic determines how far the individual moves towards their goal. Some "get it" quicker and easier than others, but everyone has to show up and put in work to become successful. Some will rise to a higher level than others without a good work ethic, but they are limited by their work ethic as much as other guys are limited by their genetic potential.

I've meet way to many very gifted people who could have gone relatively far in a sport or actively but haven't and won't because they don't put in their time or have the drive to do so.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #36
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Don, you beat that metaphor to within an inch of its life.

Another perspective on Work Ethic versus Genetics, are those individuals in which are middle aged or older (past their prime), in which think that age has eroded their capability (genetically) since hormones (etc), are at levels (on average) far below their prime years. In some instances, this makes some pocket their work ethic as they think its a waist of time to have goals relating to bodybuilding or power-lifting, and do not awaken their genetic set-point at this stage in their life.

When I was in my prime, I always seem to have a physical-strength set-point no matter what I did. When I went to Army boot camp (very early 20's), O.C.S., and the Police Academy, it wasn't (physically difficult) for me (and I did no training to prepare), and I wouldn't even come close to categorizing myself as "looking" muscular or physically fit. As I approached 40 and above, I "felt" this strength set-point drop. I also could see some major physical changes taking place: I was physically weaker, gaining fat tissue, dropping muscle mass, and heavier, as compared to my prime years.

My greatest regret toward my prime years, is the potential I see in my middle aged years. And, let this be a lesson for one's in their prime and for one's middle aged or older.

There are two comparisons to make. The first is that I "never" weight trained nor watched my diet within my prime, and my strength levels never declined and seemed to have a set-point. I didn't gain or lose any muscle (at least to the naked eye), though I did gain some fat tissue, was very healthy, and recover ability was very fast. In contrast, post 40 I saw muscle loss, strength decreasing, fat accumulating faster, and a drastic decline physically (in the visual sense).

The point? We all have genetic potential, and we are to play with the deck we are dealt. Do we have a choice? There are always choices, and some you can not take back.

In my prime, my genetic potential went "unrealized", as I did nothing personally to bring about genetic nourishment. I can never, ever, change that. But, the iron has taught me many lessons. It taught me: What could have been by what I see in the active present, what can be (by reversing and improving the aging process), what can come (by looking better than and feeling as good as in my prime), and that my body is still genetically willing and capable give the relationship with the iron.

It has proven, that by "realizing" my aging potential in the present, that I "unrealized" my genetic potential in my past.

And, for the young ones:

DO NOT DO THIS.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 02-18-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #37
emekajokammor
Menace
Max Brawn
Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Fav Exercise: Probably seated row
Fav Supp: Anabolic Pump
emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

^ Absolutley amazing post

www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
emekajokammor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #38
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

I'm taking this from a non-lifting perspective. Great talent/genetics and a bad work ethic(I'm not talking procrastination or laziness, but as in won't train/practice) makes for shitty results. Bad genes and balls out effort gets good results. Good genes and balls out effort gets slightly better results. The sooner a person applies this, the better.

-A gifted guy who often forgets what I am posting here (not necessarily gifted in lifting)
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #39
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emekajokammor View Post
^ Absolutley amazing post
Thank you very much Emekajokammor.

In fitness, I spend very little time in the things in which I have no control over and a large amount of time on the things in which I do have control over. For example: The errors in my past (as in not training regularly in my prime, and realizing my potential) are the principle teachers in the present. Genetics can be a wonderful thing, but, what is far worse in my opinion, is ruining your own personal potential because (psychologically) one beats themselves up because they "think" they have less potential as compared to someone else. We ALL can be great in our own way. Just have to make it happen.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #40
ONpump17
Perservere
Max Brawn
Points: 6,485, Level: 52 Points: 6,485, Level: 52 Points: 6,485, Level: 52
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 4 serious years, 1 meet
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Water
ONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machine

Certain things that are attributed to genetics can be changed through hard-work. Genetics is beyond your control, so except who you are, use it to your advantage (certain leanings in training, metabolic typing, etc) and work to become the best version of yourself as possible. It's all you can do.

Source: Personal experience and mental development due to having a training partner that has a genetic advantage over myself.
"Choose to not to be a product of your environment, but rather a product of your desires."Kroc
Comp Lifts(lb/kg): Squat: 385/175 Bench: 231/105 Deadlift: 463/210 Best Lifts: Squat: 395/180 Bench: 250/113 Deadlift: 475/215
ONpump17 is offline   Reply With Quote