Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member
Default Dad gets even

Yes...even dad will have his day!

CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Love it! Dad of the Year right there
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
ONpump17
Perservere
Max Brawn
Points: 6,485, Level: 52 Points: 6,485, Level: 52 Points: 6,485, Level: 52
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 4 serious years, 1 meet
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Water
ONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machine

Ah yes, this video has been making its rounds online... Essentially, I do understand where the father is coming from, and I agree with him, though the destruction of property on camera while rubbing it in (ooh you'll have to pay me back for that too) was a bit sadistic.
His daughter acted out of line for sure, yes she needed to be punished, yes you want to send a message, but it could've been done better in several ways.
"Choose to not to be a product of your environment, but rather a product of your desires."Kroc
Comp Lifts(lb/kg): Squat: 385/175 Bench: 231/105 Deadlift: 463/210 Best Lifts: Squat: 395/180 Bench: 250/113 Deadlift: 475/215
ONpump17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I have certainly contemplated the same thing once or twice. My problem? I don't own any guns.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

I love it. And you had better believe that once I do have children, I will be monitoring all of their online activity. Facebook, chat logs, downloads, websites visited, passwords used. Everything. I will not have my children fall prey to some of the sickos out there. Also, the kid deserved it. Once her dad cools off (I'm guessing maybe mid 2013) she might get some things back, and hopefully she'll appreciate them this time.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Dad is having to react to his situation. This is a fairly common occurance today with kids.

Parents would be better served by being proactive and not giving their spoiled rotten kids so damn much stuff.

You appreciate that which you earn more than that which is given to you.

My kids have chores to complete around the house not because they are servants or maids. They have chores and jobs to complete because they live there, and contribute to the mess, and therefore the upkeep of the household.

Had my child done that she would have found here room empty save for a bed, pillow, and blanket. If she didn't like that then things would go downhill from there.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I remind my kids that all I am required to give them is; a blanket, a pillow, a roof, a few boring meals, health care, and school.

I give them everything they have because I love them and they are good kids. But I remind them that it can all be taken away when they turn into rotten teen-agers
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Mine are reminded that as long as I pay the bills, I have free access when ever I want. The phone is my phone until they purchase and make payments on their own. Being a computer geek, I check up on the kids computers quite regularly.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
_J_
Chalk Rebel
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35

The wife and I don't have kids (yet), but I've seen what happens when kids and young adults are given so much and made to earn so little. It robs them of their drive to achieve and their appreciation for what they have.

The dad in that video deserves an award. Sure, it's heavy-handed, but apparently, she had been grounded once already for 3 months for doing something similar. 3 months is a long time for a teen to go without a computer/phone. One would think she's learn after the first time.

I watched a teen freak out in Sam's when his parents wouldn't buy him a new phone. From his yelling, I gleaned that he carelessly broke his old phone and now wanted a very expensive one. The parents offered to give him one of their phones or a low-priced alternative until their plan gave them an allowance toward a new one, but he wouldn't be seen with such a crappy phone. My wife and I stood there and gawked. For pulling crap like that in public, we'd have come home to a room with nothing but a bed and desk in it.

I know a 35 year old married man (with a 6 month old child), who is still tied to his mother's purse strings. Entry level job for 15 years (no education, training, or work ethic), but his mom, who remarried a well-to-do businessman, helped them buy a house in a neighborhood that is way out of their price range, yet he bragged about the loan amount "he" was preapproved for. Every year, she gives him a wad of cash for his brithday. Every 2 or 3 years, she buys them new furniture and wall to wall carpet (whether they need it or not). If a major appliance breaks, mother pays for new, top of the line appliances. He was outraged when his real dad, demanded repayment of some money he'd loaned them. When he was fired (lazy), he collected unemployed for more than a year while his pregnant wife worked full time (this isn't someone in a specialized field or a tough economy, there are tons of open jobs in this area he is "qualified" for, but he thinks they are beneath him). He wasn't worried b/c his mom was paying the bills and giving them spending money.

What kills me is that he isn't shy about telling people about all the gifts his mother gives him. All the mother's "help" has done is to rob him of any desire to work hard and provide. He has never had to grow up and live like an adult. Glwanabe is right on the money--this guy doesn't appreciate anything he has b/c he didn't have to earn it, instead it was all given to him.
_J_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:18 AM   #10
ONpump17
Perservere
Max Brawn
Points: 6,485, Level: 52 Points: 6,485, Level: 52 Points: 6,485, Level: 52
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 4 serious years, 1 meet
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Water
ONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
I love it. once I do have children, I will be monitoring all of their online activity. Facebook, chat logs, downloads, websites visited, passwords used. Everything. I will not have my children fall prey to some of the sickos out there.
Seems too extreme to me. Teach them the basic lessens needed, and people aren't going to jump out of the screen. I was the administrator on my family computer from a relatively young age, I moderated myself.

I think sometimes people overestimate the 'perils' of the Internet.
"Choose to not to be a product of your environment, but rather a product of your desires."Kroc
Comp Lifts(lb/kg): Squat: 385/175 Bench: 231/105 Deadlift: 463/210 Best Lifts: Squat: 395/180 Bench: 250/113 Deadlift: 475/215
ONpump17 is offline   Reply With Quote