Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Chewing gum makes you smarter! (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=873)

Roid Monkey 10-01-2009 09:33 AM

Chewing gum makes you smarter!

A* study sponsored by the Wrigley Science Institute was conducted by researchers at Baylor College of Medicine, and presented at the Annual Meeting of Experimental Biology 2009 in New Orleans. A hundred and eight students ages 13 - 16 were*assigned to either chew sugar-free gum during math class, while doing math homework and during math tests [...]

More...

RickB 10-01-2009 10:45 AM

I think this is just a sign of the times. Kids are so used to being stimulated via TV or video games through game consoles or handhelds, that idle time with nothing to do drives them crazy. My kids are like this.

Chewing gum probably mildly satisfies that need for additional stimulation and that combined with school work, it makes for an improved combo. Just my guess.

BendtheBar 10-01-2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB (Post 6361)
I think this is just a sign of the times. Kids are so used to being stimulated via TV or video games through game consoles or handhelds, that idle time with nothing to do drives them crazy. My kids are like this.

Chewing gum probably mildly satisfies that need for additional stimulation and that combined with school work, it makes for an improved combo. Just my guess.

I think you're on to something.

We limit our kids to mindless entertainment..only 30 minutes a night. We allow them to play with interactive media as much as they want...computer, Wii creative games, etc.

I tell my daughters...when you get a job and buy your own TV, then you can watch it all day.

RickB 10-01-2009 12:57 PM

And that's a good thing that you've set limits on TV! I wish we had done that early on. Last school year we cut them off of everything like that by 7pm but haven't reinstated that rule yet this year. Glad this subject came up because it reminded me I need to do that.

Of course, with my oldest son's busy schedule, that means this rule will only apply on Wednesday. He's in football and band.

BendtheBar 10-02-2009 12:03 AM

Given the chance, I think any kid would prefer to watch TV all night.

We make the kids do homework right after school, and then they can watch the tube.

RickB 10-02-2009 08:18 AM

That's our rule too. Home work first, chores 2nd, then whatever they want to do. But we need to re-up the rule about hanging out as a family after 7pm. Boy my oldest is having some severe mood issues right now!

BendtheBar 10-02-2009 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB (Post 6412)
That's our rule too. Home work first, chores 2nd, then whatever they want to do. But we need to re-up the rule about hanging out as a family after 7pm. Boy my oldest is having some severe mood issues right now!

Sorry to hear that. My older daughter is approaching the teens. I;m bracing myself.