Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #41
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
You are spot on Babs. These treats seem to be some sort of 'reward' for that 20 minutes of holding on to the rail incline walking you did. Here, have a treat, have a pat on the back. Next, they'll be offering pats on the head and scratching people behind the ear.

PF might be okay for someone trying to bulk with the free pizza and whatnot

No deadlifting is just weak sauce and no power racks equally so.

Edit: It almost seems childish doesn't it? You did something you didn't really want to do so have a little reward. The reward of merely getting fitter and possibly improving heart health isn't enough I guess
I dunno, it seemed to work for B.F. Skinner and his rats.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #42
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
I dunno, it seemed to work for B.F. Skinner and his rats.
I have absolutely no idea who they are but I'm thinking there may be some sarcasm here or I'm really out of touch

I reckon we should all descend on Planet Fitness, on its pizza day, after a hard session at a different gym, and just eat everything in sight.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:23 AM   #43
Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
That wouldn't actually surprise me since I couldn't for the life of me fathom why I'd been shown a dumbbell snatch shortly after being informed no "throwing" lifts, whilst standing wondering how they classified a hang clean.
It'll simply be that they don't like the noise of dumped bars. You'll probably find they're unhappy about heavy deadlifts, too.

To be honest, working in a gym, heavy weights dumped is annoying. BUMP CLANK! out of nowhere, it startles you. It'd be more pleasant if it didn't happen. If it were more common or if it were because there were a heap of strong people working out, it'd be okay. But it's people deadlifting 60kg or pressing a 15kg dumbbell.

I usually only say something when they throw the weights down. This is typically the young curlbro who's been doing 3 reps of quarter-range-of-motion dumbbell bench press as his buddy spotted him saying "it's all you bro!" and he wants everyone to know he was lifting a mighty 30kg. Dropping the weights is one thing, flinging them down violently is another. You're not Klokov snatching 200kg, if you can't lower it under control it's too heavy for you, grow up.

There was only one occasion on which I was genuinely pissed off, and that was when we got three crossfit boys in and they were doing hang snatches (badly) in the power rack and dumping the bar onto the safeties. Only with 50kg, but still, it's not good for the bar. Yet another thing to hate about Crossfit, they don't respect their equipment.

But really the thing about dumping the weights is because members whinge about it. Management responds to member whinging. They want everyone to feel included and listened to, so that they'll stay as members.

People who do 4km/hr on the treadmill reading Hello! magazine and just bench and curl may or may not stay as members, depending on how much you cater to their every whim.

People who are doing cleans and snatches don't need to be included and listened to, since they're dedicated trainees and will stay no matter what you do.

Thus, "don't drop the weights!"
Old 02-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #44
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #45
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Let us all move to an agreed location,and start our own colony centered around loud,heavy things,and lots of food.

We shall choose what commercials are not allowed on our televisions.The town will echo with a mixture of various loud music.Every home will have a grill,power rack and prowler.Town square will be the worlds biggest gym,and an alarm will sound if someone makes conversation during a set.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #46
Cutty
Max Brawn
Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

Not one compound movement was done that day.
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote