Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   3D TV (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8596)

5kgLifter 01-13-2012 03:55 PM

3D TV

Anybody seen one? I thought they were going to be absolute rubbish, similar to the 3D films viewed through those plastic and card glasses that always end up giving you a headache and allowing you to see some sort of depth but not in a good way...always with too much black and white instead of colour due to the way the film and/or the glasses have been put together.

I was really surprised though; it was fantastic, I watched a shark which looked like it had come over 3ft out of the screen at us whilst we stood in front of the tv watching through goggles/glasses that were comfy to wear, put no strain on the eyes and were in fact very much like wearing sunglasses...and the great thing was that all the colours were as they should be, no blurry lines...brilliant stuff. I asked the store to pull up a couple of chairs for us, because we had 30 minutes free :march: they didn't of course, but we knew the guy and he saw the funny side to it...but, I could have sat and watched the thing quite happily; shame they're so expensive.

MC 01-13-2012 03:59 PM

I've looked at them in local electronics stores. In the one closest to me, they have two on display with the glasses mounted about 5 feet away. It's interesting, but I don't think I need my TV in 3D-- at least not yet.

5kgLifter 01-13-2012 04:06 PM

Yeah, that's similar to the set-up we saw; I did see it some months ago but figured it would be rubbish to look at so I was a bit surprised to find that the technology is more advanced than the old style red and blue plastic lense set-up of yesteryear.

Pretty sure in a decade or so they will be the in-thing and will have dropped in price; though, not a necessity, it may be the way things go.

MC 01-13-2012 04:12 PM

Oh yeah. They have completely mimicked the way a 3-D movie works in the home setting. It's fascinating to see. But, then, who wants to wear googles to watch football?!? ;-)

5kgLifter 01-13-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *MC* (Post 207336)
Oh yeah. They have completely mimicked the way a 3-D movie works in the home setting. It's fascinating to see. But, then, who wants to wear googles to watch football?!? ;-)

We're thinking they'll eventually get to the holographic stage where goggles won't be needed :D

BendtheBar 01-13-2012 04:42 PM

I have checked one out at the store but to be honest I can't ever see myself wearing glasses over glasses to watch TV. Plus with kids, we would lose our glasses in 3.2 minutes.

gaspers04 01-13-2012 07:28 PM

Might be purchasing an LG 55" next month, pretty cool 3D image.

jslep 01-13-2012 08:13 PM

3-D doesn't seem quite marketable yet unless the buyer is really into gaming or high budget films. Nothing can be seen in 3-D unless filmed that way and i don't see them filming sitcoms and sports and the news and such in 3-D anytime soon so until the cost is way down i think the popularity will be way down as well.

gaspers04 01-13-2012 09:13 PM

GAMING!!!!

Ryano 01-14-2012 08:37 AM

My brother has one with surround sound. Glasses are about $80/pair but the TV was only about $1600. I watched a dinasor movie. It was really cool. Stuff will fly out of the screen at you. At times you could hear things behind you. I think you will have to limit the time you watch because it takes your eyes time to adjust. It will be much better when games come out & movies like "Saving Private Ryan" or "The Longest Day". I like it, but since the 3d movies are very limited now it's not worth the investment IMO.