Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Grumble, grumble, grumble

It amazes me how many parents don't monitor the activity of their children on Facebook and forums. The sheer number of kids leaving hate speech, vitriol and filth is frightening to this old man.

Not trying to sit upon a high horse by any means, but we monitor the computer, texting and Facebook activity of our daughters at least 3 to 5 times each week.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-08-2012 at 11:30 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

Amen brother
Old 01-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
T-Bone
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn
Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7
Fav Exercise: Squat
T-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machine

There is a lot of hate, verbal violence and abuse out there. And little remains unscathed. A simple story of a child's birthday party can elicit ugly, ugly comments. Whatever happened to "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?"

The internet has empowered a lot of mediocre people to proclaim superiority and denounce others. These are little, little people. (See, I'm even doing it myself.)

Most adults have the ability to ignore the hate, but a child or adolescent craves support and approbation. They want to fit in, they want to be liked. When they come under attack from hate-filled sh*theads (even in the spirit of a joke) I feel it can truly scar them.

Communication between parent and child along with monitoring what they do is a 21st century responsibility our parents didn't have to face (at least not on this level).

"There's nothing wrong with being a large mammal." - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison - The Doors (1991)

Sergey Krastio Trelawny
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Whatever happened to "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?"

The internet has empowered a lot of mediocre people to proclaim superiority and denounce others. These are little, little people. (See, I'm even doing it myself.)
Well some people are the bad guys.

We all have bad days, and we all make mistakes, but it's the people that are constantly attacking everything and everyone 24/7 that are the bad guys.

Tact and respect are no longer taught to most kids. It's all sarcasm and hatred fueled by insecurity and God knows what else.

If parents (especially dads) would simply take a more loving, active role in the lives of their children this world would be a better place.

Modern men need to step up their game. We don't need to have kids to be heroes, and we don't need to be tough guys to be heroes. All we need to do is invest time and encouragement in the lives of young men.

The occasion "I love you" and "you're doing a great job" goes a long way. I never got that as a kid and it took me 30 years to overcome my issues. I still fight them.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
The occasion "I love you" and "you're doing a great job" goes a long way. I never got that as a kid and it took me 30 years to overcome my issues. I still fight them.
I love you Steve
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I love you Steve

Old 01-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
ONpump17
Perservere
Max Brawn
Points: 6,485, Level: 52 Points: 6,485, Level: 52 Points: 6,485, Level: 52
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 4 serious years, 1 meet
Fav Supp: Water
ONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machine

Quote:
It amazes me how many parents don't monitor the activity of their children on Facebook and forums. The sheer number of kids leaving hate speech, vitriol and filth is frightening to this old man.

Not trying to sit upon a high horse by any means, but we monitor the computer, texting and Facebook activity of our daughters at least 3 to 5 times each week.
Isn't texting and Facebook over the top?
"Choose to not to be a product of your environment, but rather a product of your desires."Kroc
Comp Lifts(lb/kg): Squat: 385/175 Bench: 231/105 Deadlift: 463/210 Best Lifts: Squat: 395/180 Bench: 250/113 Deadlift: 475/215
ONpump17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONpump17 View Post
Isn't texting and Facebook over the top?
Facebook has become the new Internet. The Internet within the Internet. It has it's good points, but there is so much good lifting content posted there that never gets posted on forums anymore. Times change, and I get that.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
ONpump17
Perservere
Max Brawn
Points: 6,485, Level: 52 Points: 6,485, Level: 52 Points: 6,485, Level: 52
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 4 serious years, 1 meet
Fav Supp: Water
ONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machineONpump17 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Facebook has become the new Internet. The Internet within the Internet. It has it's good points, but there is so much good lifting content posted there that never gets posted on forums anymore. Times change, and I get that.
Personally, I never had an issue with texting or Facebook. I used both on occasion, no problems. Then again, I made a Facebook later on than most people, got a phone later than most people, but have done the majority of computer/Internet usuage regulation on myself. I think there is an amount needed by the parents, but really, people have always had to realize what sort of world we live in at some point in their lives. So long as you give the right guidance alongside, kids are probably being exposed a few years earlier at most. Then again, I don't have kids, just what I seem to have observed.
"Choose to not to be a product of your environment, but rather a product of your desires."Kroc
Comp Lifts(lb/kg): Squat: 385/175 Bench: 231/105 Deadlift: 463/210 Best Lifts: Squat: 395/180 Bench: 250/113 Deadlift: 475/215
ONpump17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Some parents, and I stress the word "some" because others do, don't even monitor what their kids are up to even when they're right in front of them, let alone on forums.

A couple of weeks ago, just after hubby got out of hopsital, we were at the cinema and a kid, for some unknown reason, decided he would target us throughout the entire film by deliberately walking past us so that we missed parts of the film; he didn't want to be there and was bored so we were his outlet (thankfully, that's a first for us) but due to hubby's condition rather than have a confrontation, we upped and left. He was just a little jerk trying to be a big man, basically.

I was less than impressed with the adult accompanying the kid but also know that all kids are not the same.