Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Grumble, grumble, grumble (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8526)

BendtheBar 01-08-2012 11:24 AM

Grumble, grumble, grumble

It amazes me how many parents don't monitor the activity of their children on Facebook and forums. The sheer number of kids leaving hate speech, vitriol and filth is frightening to this old man.

Not trying to sit upon a high horse by any means, but we monitor the computer, texting and Facebook activity of our daughters at least 3 to 5 times each week.

nighttrain 01-08-2012 11:26 AM

Amen brother

T-Bone 01-08-2012 12:30 PM

There is a lot of hate, verbal violence and abuse out there. And little remains unscathed. A simple story of a child's birthday party can elicit ugly, ugly comments. Whatever happened to "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?"

The internet has empowered a lot of mediocre people to proclaim superiority and denounce others. These are little, little people. (See, I'm even doing it myself.)

Most adults have the ability to ignore the hate, but a child or adolescent craves support and approbation. They want to fit in, they want to be liked. When they come under attack from hate-filled sh*theads (even in the spirit of a joke) I feel it can truly scar them.

Communication between parent and child along with monitoring what they do is a 21st century responsibility our parents didn't have to face (at least not on this level).

ONpump17 01-08-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 205552)
It amazes me how many parents don't monitor the activity of their children on Facebook and forums. The sheer number of kids leaving hate speech, vitriol and filth is frightening to this old man.

Not trying to sit upon a high horse by any means, but we monitor the computer, texting and Facebook activity of our daughters at least 3 to 5 times each week.

Isn't texting and Facebook over the top?

Fazc 01-08-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 205552)

Most adults don't monitor what comes out of their own mouths on Facebook/Forums.

BendtheBar 01-08-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone (Post 205581)
Whatever happened to "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?"

The internet has empowered a lot of mediocre people to proclaim superiority and denounce others. These are little, little people. (See, I'm even doing it myself.)

Well some people are the bad guys.

We all have bad days, and we all make mistakes, but it's the people that are constantly attacking everything and everyone 24/7 that are the bad guys.

Tact and respect are no longer taught to most kids. It's all sarcasm and hatred fueled by insecurity and God knows what else.

If parents (especially dads) would simply take a more loving, active role in the lives of their children this world would be a better place.

Modern men need to step up their game. We don't need to have kids to be heroes, and we don't need to be tough guys to be heroes. All we need to do is invest time and encouragement in the lives of young men.

The occasion "I love you" and "you're doing a great job" goes a long way. I never got that as a kid and it took me 30 years to overcome my issues. I still fight them.

BendtheBar 01-08-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ONpump17 (Post 205588)
Isn't texting and Facebook over the top?

Facebook has become the new Internet. The Internet within the Internet. It has it's good points, but there is so much good lifting content posted there that never gets posted on forums anymore. Times change, and I get that.

Fazc 01-08-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 205600)
The occasion "I love you" and "you're doing a great job" goes a long way. I never got that as a kid and it took me 30 years to overcome my issues. I still fight them.

I love you Steve :)

BendtheBar 01-08-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 205602)
I love you Steve :)

http://www.portlandmercury.com/image...8-bear_hug.jpg

ONpump17 01-08-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 205601)
Facebook has become the new Internet. The Internet within the Internet. It has it's good points, but there is so much good lifting content posted there that never gets posted on forums anymore. Times change, and I get that.

Personally, I never had an issue with texting or Facebook. I used both on occasion, no problems. Then again, I made a Facebook later on than most people, got a phone later than most people, but have done the majority of computer/Internet usuage regulation on myself. I think there is an amount needed by the parents, but really, people have always had to realize what sort of world we live in at some point in their lives. So long as you give the right guidance alongside, kids are probably being exposed a few years earlier at most. Then again, I don't have kids, just what I seem to have observed.