Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:49 AM   #21
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

You stand strong and you will prevail!

I just started working in a gym as a PT, I am not as big or as strong as you guys, but I still get hate. Though I bench more than the trainers I work with can deadlift, and most guys here at MAB warm up with my max.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
You stand strong and you will prevail!

I just started working in a gym as a PT, I am not as big or as strong as you guys, but I still get hate. Though I bench more than the trainers I work with can deadlift, and most guys here at MAB warm up with my max.
I started getting questions about what I was taking when I added about 10 pounds of muscle.

And you're not that far behind us

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #23
ffemtny
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,842, Level: 25 Points: 1,842, Level: 25 Points: 1,842, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

ffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributorffemtny is a dedicated contributor

Don't worry these haters will be gone by mid-February as their motivation wanes and lack of desire increases. Unluckily it is cyclical and they will return to make the gym unbearable for a short next late December. Keep our cool, do your thing and laugh, cause come march the gym is ours again.
ffemtny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #24
T-Bone
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn
Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7
Fav Exercise: Squat
T-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Also, yes, I had a nearly overpowering urge to drop each and every one of them where they stood. As satisfying as it would have been, I'm determined to save it for the so-called StrongMan comp this gym is planning on hosting later this year. Doubt me. Test me. 1/4 squats and bro rows won't help them now.
The hater crushing at this comp will be epic! Keep your cool and don't give them any ammunition, then CRUSH them!

"There's nothing wrong with being a large mammal." - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison - The Doors (1991)

Sergey Krastio Trelawny
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #25
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

What I find strange is, I get the opposite; when you guys add muscle, you're accused of roiding...when I added muscle, I just kept getting asked "how MUCH more weight are you going to lose?" but that's because I looked even slimmer as I added the lean mass on.

It did annoy me though.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #26
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I just kept getting asked "how MUCH more weight are you going to lose?" but that's because I looked even slimmer as I added the lean mass on.

It did annoy me though.
Interesting. It's almost like they felt compelled to save you from yourself.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #27
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Interesting. It's almost like they felt compelled to save you from yourself.
Yep, I reckon so, maybe they thought I was anorexic or going that way which could never have been given the amount of food I was consuming at every meal. I recall we went to a cafe once and when the food was brought over to us, all heads turned, considering I had a massive plate of fries piled high, a 6" burger with side salad and mayo in a bun, a wedge of chocolate cake and a cola ...and probably looked too skinny to be able to consume it, and 3 plate loads were solely for me...it was funny to see faces with such astonishment on them.

Then a friend decided to put me to the test and give me half a chocolate gateaux, deliberately, just to see if I would eat it; I was hungry, I ate it She was the one that kept on asking about my supposed "weight loss".
Old 01-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #28
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
What I find strange is, I get the opposite; when you guys add muscle, you're accused of roiding...when I added muscle, I just kept getting asked "how MUCH more weight are you going to lose?" but that's because I looked even slimmer as I added the lean mass on.

It did annoy me though.
I've had that a few times, my father-in-law has commented while on my bulk that "you've lost a bit of weight" and point to my belly. To which I have to resist saying "it's just 'cos my delts and traps are MASSIVE!!" and stretch into the a full Archer pose!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #29
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I've had that a few times, my father-in-law has commented while on my bulk that "you've lost a bit of weight" and point to my belly. To which I have to resist saying "it's just 'cos my delts and traps are MASSIVE!!" and stretch into the a full Archer pose!
It's a fascinating scenario, you're putting on weight and you've got people pointing out that you're losing weight...really messes with your head. And there's just no convincing them

Love the Archer Pose idea
Old 01-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #30
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Some peeps in the gym can be cruel. But it is a fool who uses the mouth as an improper tool when their own stink at the stool provides their fuel.

================================
I KNOW what I am doing is right, and do not give a rats-ass what people think to the contrary nor think what I may or may not be up to. This conviction has formed through education in the path I walk, and narrow-minded thinkers (who exhibit this sort of talk you expressed) cannot and will not, penetrate this education base because the source of the input is stupid and uneducated.

How ironic negative and uneducated input changes from goal to goal:

When I first wanted my first goal: I was Charged/tried/convicted before I started: I was defeated before I began: You see my "perceptional context" was that they were viewing things through a different lens, than I. As such did not have the input I possessed, nor the wisdom in the direction I sought.

But, I believed.

When I met my very first goal, it turned from the above scenario of comments to: (after losing 40 plus pounds, and working my ass off for a year and a half)

I remember when I was at my lightest weight (152/154), and ripped with abzers, I was called skinny by this big guy: (I am very blunt in person and carried a level of motivation that was seen as bizarre by a lot of persons)

Yes, I am, and I love it. Got a problem? Don't take up my space with your mouth or your eyes. I thank you.

And, I will take your big-ass out for a run for two miles, and as you become a peter-puffer at about the one block point and at the level where virtually any movement is useless to you, I will stop my two-mile jog (airborne shuffle run), and press 220 for 12 reps, and be able to perform many other physical functions.

And others:

Was standing in line at Wal-Mart, and a guy ahead of me had 3 packs of Hostess Ding-Dongs, and he made the comment: "Looks like you could use a few of these", I commented, "Looks like you could do without a few of those". His expression was one of hurt feelings, while mine was very indifferent to his verbal expression.

And, I leave you with this thought:

"NEVER" abandon yourself for the sake of another's opinion.

People with their hearts in the right place will attempt to give you good advice and various opinions.

People with their hearts in the wrong place will attempt to make inappropriate comments and various opinions.

Decipher them, but NEVER let them influence what YOU uniquely want within your own heart.

If you do, you will walk around dizzy as if being on a merry-go-round not knowing what to do for your own well-being and self nourishment.

Take opinions and advice and apply a "self-standard" test within your heart, and this will direct your personal path.

NEVER "abandon yourself"......for the sake of another persons advice or opinion.

IMO, diet and fitness training is personal.

Who gives a damn what people "think" you should be doing, when you are using education within diet and fitness to earn, and then maintain your goal.

I certainly do not care. My goals are my goals, and not theirs.

And, it so happens their goal is no greater than my own.

There are always someone bigger, stronger, and faster. However, I fight to be bigger, stronger, and faster, in my own personal creation. It brings inner peace and creates the greatest competition of all time. It also can produce a new improved person never before seen.

Within your journey, you will meet many forks in the road; and, people having diarrhea of the mouth is one of these forks: so YOU DECIDE the level of stress that is produced and how you deal with it--according to your goal, by applying diet and fitness education..........while living life to its absolute fullest.

Additionally, don't fall victim to inappropriate views on your on body. Be happy with what you have and what you have accomplished--and KNOW what you can manipulate differently. But do it for you, not someone else.

Personally, I do not care what others think; their opinion is coming from a flawed and imperfect human base to begin with, and I let this "negatively" effect my body image?

Not happening.

The Judgement of others and/or being overly judgmental of others can cause internal and external poison, and hamper true circumference of clear vision. Does one look at another and truly see? Maybe, if they were able to remove the spec from their own eye, but this isn't possible, because we all have specs in our eye.

Consider the sources. And, remember to keep your bull-shit-o-meter on all the time.

Best regards,

Chillen

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 01-03-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote