Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #21
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Way to Help MAB Grow #7:

Don't leave.

Over the years a lot of popular community members have left because they no longer are "hardcore enough" (training as much), or they have incurred an injury, or for many other reasons.

Remember, MAB is a community. Many people here miss you when you're gone. If time is short, we understand. But please don't leave because you aren't trying to crush PRs and break squat records every week.

One of the keys to helping MAB grow is welcoming lurkers. And we have an amazing amount of lurkers. People come here for information they don't find elsewhere.

You came here for that same reason. Even if you don't currently care about destroying PRs, you don't have to leave. Your wisdom and insights are missed.

It's ok to be a recreational lifter on MAB.
Seems to apply. lol

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #22
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
MAB is not just a powerlifting/strength training or classic lifting site. MAB is also a site for bodybuilding, recreational lifting, general fitness and conditioning, kettlebells, etc.

Sometimes bodybuilders come here and misunderstand the advice given. MAB is not anti-bodybuilding, anti-split, or anti-anything else.
I can tell you from experience that this is a hard thing to get accross to people. Everybody tends to gather into camps and throw stones at other's ideas. I tend to keep things simple and the advice I give is also simple. For this reason everybody thinks I'm anti-everything-else, but I am not. I just have my prefered methods and experiences and like to share those. But just like MAB, I'm open to gathering knowledge from wherever it may come from. This place is a jewel when it comes to different ideas being welcomed and valued.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #23
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I can tell you from experience that this is a hard thing to get accross to people.
We've had our share of bodybuilders leave. It is hard to watch, but I am grateful for the guys like Emeka and Rich who have stuck around.

At the end of the day I personally don't care how anyone trains as long as they are working hard and progressing. The biggest challenge with lifting sites is that the vast majority of people are novices and aren't making any real progress at all (MAB excluded), so the advice is almost continually...simplify, basics, simplify, basics.

This advice can be taken out of context and interpreted as meaning that intermediate and advanced bodybuilders should train this way as well (Fullbody, dumping most isolations), or that splits or advanced training techniques are useless.

What is also almost always lost is the fact that 90% of people on boards (MAB excluded) are recreational lifters and don't want to look like Ronnie Coleman. They simply want to bench 3 wheels and add 15 pounds of muscle.

Personally, when I find a lifter not making results and focused on the wrong things, I simplifying. I get them on the basics, and focused on progression. I think this is the right thing to do for several reasons which we have explored many times elsewhere.

But, when I find a lifter that is making progression and using the big lifts (like T-Bone), if they want to play around with 4 day splits I help them.

I will also say that if a novice on this board was being trained by an experienced bodybuilder on this board I would leave them alone. I don't care if this is a 6 day double split, seriously. As long as they are working hard, progressing and having fun then have at it.

Long post, sorry folks.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:14 PM   #24
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I can tell you from experience that this is a hard thing to get accross to people. Everybody tends to gather into camps and throw stones at other's ideas. I tend to keep things simple and the advice I give is also simple. For this reason everybody thinks I'm anti-everything-else, but I am not. I just have my prefered methods and experiences and like to share those. But just like MAB, I'm open to gathering knowledge from wherever it may come from. This place is a jewel when it comes to different ideas being welcomed and valued.
Some people can't understand the concept that a weight is a weight is a weight, if that makes sense.

As you say the "camps" are split, very often, even though, if a female prefers to lift a kettlebell (which seems to be common) they are still lifting weight. I'd rather see a female lift 2 x 24kg KBs and be lifting weight than never lift a weight because the only thing deemd correct to lift (by some) is a barbell.

PS: the female, kettlebell scenario is just an analogy but it does seem that kettlebells don't appear so alien to females, in general; it might be because they aren't yet associated with bulky muscles or at least to their knowledge.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #25
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

A way to help MAB: be a good ambassador to the forum, all too often people that belong to various forums can be seen to be leaving a bad taste by their actions and doing the forum to which they belong no good.

Wear your MAB t-shirt! If you have one.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:56 PM   #26
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Here's a thought for the site.

The sugdenbarbell.co.uk site that Faz and I are on has a powerlifting league and a PB chart. The PB chart has stuff like floor to overhead, jerk, front squat, weighted pull-up etc. It's a bit of fun to see where you rank, though as the site has grown my own PBs have got pushed steadily downwards! The powerlifting league can be filtered by age, equipment etc.

I don't know whether it really fits in with the spirit of MAB, but I'll just put it out there as a suggestion.

Also: is there any mileage in getting some poundage calculators on here for the popular lifting routines? When I want to try a 5 X 5 or a Sheiko or a Russian Squat program, I always search for "routine ABC" xls. Up comes joeskopec.com, and I'm off there. He must get stacks of traffic off those. There aren't that many links for some of the Sheiko routines, for example.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #27
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Here's a thought for the site.

The sugdenbarbell.co.uk site that Faz and I are on has a powerlifting league and a PB chart. The PB chart has stuff like floor to overhead, jerk, front squat, weighted pull-up etc. It's a bit of fun to see where you rank, though as the site has grown my own PBs have got pushed steadily downwards! The powerlifting league can be filtered by age, equipment etc.

I don't know whether it really fits in with the spirit of MAB, but I'll just put it out there as a suggestion.

Also: is there any mileage in getting some poundage calculators on here for the popular lifting routines? When I want to try a 5 X 5 or a Sheiko or a Russian Squat program, I always search for "routine ABC" xls. Up comes joeskopec.com, and I'm off there. He must get stacks of traffic off those. There aren't that many links for some of the Sheiko routines, for example.
Is the ranking programmed or a list?

As far as calculators, I add all that I can to the site and am always up for adding more. If one is missing from the tools section let me know and I will add the spreadsheet.

Tools - Muscle and Brawn - Bodybuilding and Powerlifting

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #28
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

I like the idea of a lifts chart with a number of different lifts on it (not just the powerlifts). Some might agree, but I think the spirit of competition gives people a drive to work harder and hit their goals.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #29
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Is the ranking programmed or a list?

As far as calculators, I add all that I can to the site and am always up for adding more. If one is missing from the tools section let me know and I will add the spreadsheet.

Tools - Muscle and Brawn - Bodybuilding and Powerlifting
I think the PB chart programmed, as once you are logged in, you just update your lift and it reorders the rankings. Caveat: I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I hadn't discovered the tools section, I must admit.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #30
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

I think the PB chart would be a good idea. Could just do it in a database type?

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote