Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   2011: A Positive Look Back On The Past Year (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8246)

Hazzard 12-16-2011 09:31 AM

2011: A Positive Look Back On The Past Year

Facebook is a wonderful example of a place where people cannot bring themselves to stop moaning. Cold weather? Moan. Hot weather? Moan. Didn't sleep? Also moan. Bad day? Oh awesome, I'd love to hear about that too. With all this pessimism going around it's inevitable that the moaning will commence about how moan-worthy 2011 has been. So, I decided that on this wonderful forum that has treated me so well these past couple of months it would be fun to celebrate the best of the past twelve months.

Because I'm fairly heavily into various forms of visual media - music, films, games - I consider this a good place to start. What would your album, film and game of the year consist of and why? It sounds contrived, but I like to use this to look back on things that have been released and entertained me over the past year, especially since so much of it is lost.

So here are my picks:

Album of the year: Protest The Hero - Scurrilous

If I'm really honest I have no idea what my film of the year really is, but I'll say Drive for now.

Game of the year: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword

So that's that. But what about a more training look back on the year? What have you achieved? Highs and lows? Progression? New exercises? Periodisation? Diets? Weight loss? Strength Gain? And so on and so forth.

For me it has to be partaking in my freshman powerlifting year. Despite starting in 2010, it really took off at the beginning of this year where I lifted at the southern counties regional competition and qualified for the British. I then competed at the WDFPF British, Euros and Worlds a month or so ago and am extremely proud of what I achieved in my first year. Despite only being a member of this forum for a couple of months I just want to say thank you for all the support.

So, to everyone here - what has 2011 meant for you? What are your highlights and favourite moments of the past year?

BendtheBar 12-16-2011 10:06 AM

2011...my first powerlifting meet. I shattered all my expectations, which was a nice surprise.

My deadlift also rocketed up in 2011, seemingly out of the blue. I had to take a long look back at my training to see what I was doing differently.

2011 was also the year of the pirate...or pirate thrash metal. Truth is, I don't care for pirates or pirate movies, but the driving music from Swashbuckle became my workout staple. I listened to them at one point for 6 straight months while lifting.

2011 was also a year in which I got hooked on Breaking Bad. I needed a good show after the end of Lost, and this fit the bill.

One movie that really stood out for me in 2011 was Let Me In. In a year of a lot of let downs, this movie really stood out for me. I understand it wasn't made in 2011, but there you have it.

ffemtny 12-16-2011 10:33 AM

Bendthebar,
Being a child of the 80's I can definitely relate to Swashbuckle. Slayer definitely influenced them more than a little . I listen to everything, from Johnny Cash to Eminem to Hatebreed for working out though just depends on my mood. Though Johnny Cash has something for just about every mood I might ever be in.

BendtheBar 12-16-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffemtny (Post 198475)
Bendthebar,
Being a child of the 80's I can definitely relate to Swashbuckle. Slayer definitely influenced them more than a little . I listen to everything, from Johnny Cash to Eminem to Hatebreed for working out though just depends on my mood. Though Johnny Cash has something for just about every mood I might ever be in.

I listen to a wide variety as well. Mostly mellow music. I don't like noise unless I am lifting.

ffemtny 12-16-2011 12:53 PM

Almost forgot the second part of your post. Feeling about as good as I ever have which is awesome seeing I'm staring down the barrel of the big 40 in less than a year. Spent most of my training this year focusing on passing the Army PT test, and Army medic school. Survived medic school at my advanced age, though I re-injured my craptastic shoulders and kicked ass on the PT in pushups and sitsups but missed run by 12 seconds. Which can be attributed to the fact I weigh 255 and like to lift a whole lot more than run.

As for life in general I feel truly blessed, so you certainly won't hear me whining. I'm fulfilling my dream of becoming a paramedic and getting paid some money to do it through the G.I. Bill.Two healthy, bright kids who do well socially, and the list could go on. I like most, often forget how much I have but all it takes for me lately is some time on an ALS ambulance in New York city and seeing how people treat each other , the effects of poverty and apathy, and how little some have to hammer home the wealth of possessions and opportunity that my life has afforded me.

Tannhauser 12-16-2011 01:45 PM

The best thing about 2011 for me was that after three years work, I finally finished my novel. I got some great feedback on it from professionals and readers. It's not publishable (too long for a new author, not commercial, too dark, too violent, too weird) but it is well written and original. Next stage is to rewrite with a view to approaching agents.

Had some great holidays this year (walking in wales, walking in Northumbria, Paris, Loire Valley) and read loads.

Set a new PB last week just when I thought my strength was on the inevitable age-related decline.

T-Bone 12-16-2011 01:45 PM

I like this kind of question, but my answers will not be definitive.

Movie of the Year: I only saw three movies this year - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 / Rise of the Planet of the Apes / Contagion. HP was probably the best of them.

Album of the Year: I only bought one album released this year - Explosions in the Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care

Game of the Year: the only definitive answer - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (a huge and very deep RPG)

Personally, this has been the year when diet and lifting finally came together and made a difference in my life. I discovered that I am way stronger than I ever knew.

Chillen 12-16-2011 02:12 PM

Person of the year: One in which brings peace, goodwill, heartfelt fellowship, and honor to another person or persons, without prejudice or hidden inappropriate agenda.

Persons of the year: The litteral thousands of Fathers/Mothers: In which bestows honor, discipline, love, to their family and children. In which are guided by a conscious of right and wrong, and bring guidance among the misguided. The unsung true heros, in which provide the back bone and super-glue to our beloved country; provide our true future, and get no press, internet, nor television coverage.

glwanabe 12-16-2011 05:23 PM

I'll get back here tomorrow.

This year has been a roller coaster to say the least.

Hazzard 12-16-2011 05:59 PM

Great replies guys, very interesting. Keep 'em coming! :D