Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast
Default What get's you motivated?

People find there motivation in many ways but where do you find yours?

Is it from a role model?

Is it from a quote?

Is it from a movie?

Is it your family?

Is it just you?

jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
jslep
Max Brawn

jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

My personal motivation truly comes from a fire within. I spent my entire life being told i was too small, not smart enuff, not dedicated enuff, not willing to do what it takes. My father, my friends, people who just met me......i wouldn't let it stop me. I was a small child who loved football and basketball. When i was 16 yrs old i was still just a little over 5ft tall and just 100 lbs so you can imagine its a big chore to make varsity with such a small stature. I really had no one to back me to tell me i could do it. I didn't have family support. I didn't have coaches support. By the time i was 17 i had grown to nearly 6ft tall but kept my 100lb frame. The growth was painful at times in the joints and complicated running so i gave up on both sports (which i regret to this day). But i found a new passion which was BBing. I trained constantly and ate everything i could get my hands on. Still never believing in myself after years of training, i was too intimidated to get on stage. Kids and marriage happened i put on a few lbs of fat and i lost that dream.

Then a new chapter started. I had just gotten back into weights and i found a site known to us all as MAB. Steve was running an online transformation contest which i figured i could win. Lead me to getting on stage for the first time and i have not looked back in my training ever since. Not only do i want to be a BBer but i want to be a F'ing strong one at that. Pushing harder than i think the guy i will compete against will. Attempt what maybe i shouldn't. Dig deep inside and find that fire that motivates to push for that next rep or that next plate no matter how much pain it inflicts.

Now is some of this fire due to the pain caused by people not believing in me.....probably so. Sometimes i do push because i always felt others thought i couldn't. Whatever the case maybe i know that in the BBing/PLing game the only person that can beat me is me.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Interesting topic Jslep and thanks for sharing.

For me it's just about goals and winning. I'm a driven individual and in Powerlifting I want to be as good as I possibly can be and win competitions and trophies. I know it's not seen as 'politically correct' and that 'beating yourself' is the correct mindset. I even tried to get myself to believe that for a while but that's not me and I can't pretend it is.

I like winning and if I'm going to do a competition I'm there to win. The rest be damned.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

ive just always been OK at stuff, never bad at anything really, but never excelled at anything. I doubt Ill ever excel at lifting, but if I can build an enviable physique which is seen by people younger than me as 'really good' and I can out lift people in their 20's then I will be happy. Shallow, yes. Truthful, definitely

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Myself. There isn't a soul on earth that could give me more grief about not succeeding than myself. I'm the a-hole who calls me fat, stupid, lazy, unsuccessful, etc.. My drive comes from me telling myself to shut the f-ck up.

One of my slogans that I tell everyone when they start to complain is; STFU and do something about it. Think I don't tell myself that...?
Old 11-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Lifting is an activity where my efforts lead to results. Not only does hard work in the gym pay off, but so does hard work out of the gym. I can study, read, learn and apply.

There aren't many things in life that give me this level of control. When I am lifting I am the only thing that stands in the way of complete success.

I also find motivation in slapping disbelievers in the face. My early life wasn't easy, and as I struggled to deal with the dysfunction of a broken home I made a few mistakes myself. Though these mistakes were 25 years ago, many people still view me as an irresponsible kid who only wants to party and chase women.

I want to succeed because of these people. They motivate me not only to do well, but to surpass all expectations by leaps and bounds. I find pleasure in defining who I am by my results and not by their limitations.

I find motivation in the concept of "one more rep, one more pound." Each day I enter the gym only hoping to beat my last effort by a hair. I am not satisfied with doing the same thing.

I find motivation in showing my children that any human being can thrive at nearly anything if they work hard enough. I do not want them to be victims, but rather overcomers. Life is too short, and at the end of days I want my children to know they ran a good race and did all they could.

We are what we do. When I pass on, I want people to not only remember me for what I did, but also to have found inspiration to do more in their lives.

I care about people. I want to see people succeed. There are too many "destroyers" in life who crush the dreams and hopes of people. I am motivated to be a hero, or die trying. I want people to look at me and say...every day he gave everything he could, and that inspired me to give everything I could.

And I hope this transcends just the iron.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

I do it for my family and Grand kids.
The legacy of a good memory about me and what I have done, not just another guy in a wheelchair.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Who wants to place bets on how epic Chillen's answer will be?

You know I kid!

What motivates me is knowing who I used to be and wanting to be as far from that as possible. What motivates me is the fact that I now know that I can go so much farther than I thought I could before.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Who wants to place bets on how epic Chillen's answer will be?
He always has the epic posts... The kind that make you reflect on life.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
jslep
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
He always has the epic posts... The kind that make you reflect on life.
Then i look forward to it!