Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Disciple X
Max Brawn
Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine
Default Questions about personal training certification...

I've decided to get my personal training certification. I've wanted to do it for a long time, but i've always felt like there was so much i dont know that i wasnt ready. I know there are people out there who put my knowledge to shame... but what i realized over the past couple months is that although i'm not a guru, i do know a whole lot more than the average couch potatoe that needs some help. Lately i've helped several people out in the gym and i really enjoyed it. I always enjoy helping people out who ask for advise or even just need a spot. So i'm going for it.

There are a ton of programs and certifications out there and i hace no clue which ones to look into. I would like to persue the ones that mean the most/ carry the most respect... anybody out there that knows about this kind of stuff, please chime in. Also feel free to share your experiences with personal trainers/ trainees if you want to give me some insight on what to expect.

Any advise or input in general would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys...
Disciple X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple X View Post

Any advise or input in general would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys...
Best way to approach a certificate is to target a job. Look at what they require and go for it.

There are many out there that sound great but aren't worth the paper they are on as far as credentials for companies or knowledge and studying required.

After all look at 80% of big chain gym in house trainers.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
Best way to approach a certificate is to target a job. Look at what they require and go for it.

There are many out there that sound great but aren't worth the paper they are on as far as credentials for companies or knowledge and studying required.

After all look at 80% of big chain gym in house trainers.
Rich makes some great points.

Until there is a singular nationally or Internationally recognized certification, they are all just paper. What makes the trainer is the person not the paper. There are some good certifications out there but you only get out of them what you put into them.

I have no plans to work in a commercial gym, I felt that the paper lends a little credibility to the ministry I started so I went through the process. Didn't help me start the ministry or do anything I wouldn't have already done, just allows me to say, "Certified Trainer." Not one person has ever asked, "Certified by who?" I am sure if I went to a commercial gym they would laugh me out of the place, but the results my Fit For the King folks are experiencing are not due to a test and a piece of paper. They put in the hard work, I just give them a little coaching and encouragement. I am not sure if I am going to recertify, as it really isn't needed in what I am doing.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
Disciple X
Max Brawn
Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine

Bamazav- love the "fit for the king" deal... thanks for the reply. Thats all i've been hearing is how the certs dont mean much, but i feel like i need it to get my foot in the door. After things get rolling, i'm sure i'll ghen feel the same way, but if it will help me get started, i'm all in. I just dont see a gym letting me train people there with no experience and no certification... maybe i could bs my way in, but thats not my style. Lol.
Disciple X is offline   Reply With Quote