Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
Goat
Max Brawn
Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: MEAT
Goat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Ads from Unhate...creating quite a buzz.

]
figures
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
T-Bone
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn
Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
T-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
To them its not pushing buttons its pushing thought. The message is to imply that cultural leaders and religious leaders that may have opposing views(hate) can show they are capable of love(unhate). The message seems to have a point to it.
I think you're right, and I doubt the image is meant to be taken literally. My guess they were hoping for the shock value of it.

"There's nothing wrong with being a large mammal." - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison - The Doors (1991)

Sergey Krastio Trelawny
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
So they're saying that it's ok for people with opposing political and religious views to make out?

It's sensationalism, pure and simple.
I think that the majority of what we are force fed in this country is sensationalism. This ad is no different i agree with that. However that does not mean it cannot provoke thought. You don't always have to take things for there surface value. I can still see the message they are tryin to send and it is clearly not dudes making out they simply used the male on male kissing to be extreme with proving their point.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
jslep
Max Brawn

jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
I think you're right, and I doubt the image is meant to be taken literally. My guess they were hoping for the shock value of it.
Exactly
Old 11-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
I think that the majority of what we are force fed in this country is sensationalism. This ad is no different i agree with that. However that does not mean it cannot provoke thought. You don't always have to take things for there surface value. I can still see the message they are tryin to send and it is clearly not dudes making out they simply used the male on male kissing to be extreme with proving their point.
1. The fact that everyone else is doing it doesn't make it right or worthwhile. I learned that in Kindergarten.

2. I'm forced to take it for what it is because they make no attempt to tell me what the hell they actually mean. You say they're trying to prove their point, but I don't even know what that point is.

3. Like I already said, if they had a cause that was worthwhile then they woudn't need sensationalism to get my attention. Extreme images like this serve ONLY to polarize the public, which certainly doesn't serve their purpose as far as I'm concerned.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:40 AM   #16
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Benetton have a long history of creating deliberately provocative ads. It's their thing.
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #17
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

I think people care too much about shit that doesn't matter.... Its ridiculous.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #18
jslep
Max Brawn

Quote:
1. The fact that everyone else is doing it doesn't make it right or worthwhile. I learned that in Kindergarten.
The fact that i said sensationalism was everywhere was not a justification for it. I'm simply stating that if we ignore every ad campaign and world news report that used it we would get little to no information. The way i see it is we can't take things at face value no matter where they come from. Do i think this is a stupid controversial ad HELL YEAH but does that mean i can't see the forest through the trees...NO.

Quote:
2. I'm forced to take it for what it is because they make no attempt to tell me what the hell they actually mean. You say they're trying to prove their point, but I don't even know what that point is.
The point of the ad is clear to me. The ad is saying "UNHATE". The U.S. and Venezuela have been at odds since Bush tried to get their leader tossed from office. The fact that Obama is patching that relationship is showing "UNHATE" from where there was once hate. Like you said the pic is just a sensationalist way of getting that point across. The Pope made some comments recently about muslim folks which struck up a protest and such out side the vatican. The Pope and the Sheik were patching up the "hate" in a meeting and once again the kiss shows the "UNHATE". I'm not sure why they need to explain it with words to get the point across.

Quote:
3. Like I already said, if they had a cause that was worthwhile then they woudn't need sensationalism to get my attention. Extreme images like this serve ONLY to polarize the public, which certainly doesn't serve their purpose as far as I'm concerned.
I can totally agree with that. I just think that currently these types of ads are run because of the controversy they incur and the results unfortunately that society provides. For a lot of companies even bad publicity is good publicity. I'm not tryin to say its right.....i'm just sayin that's how i see the world workin.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #19
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I think people care too much about shit that doesn't matter.... Its ridiculous.
Yup. As long as people act insulted or weirded out about this kind of stuff (two guys kissing, two enemies hugging), it'll always make news and draw attention (And thus, be used in advertising and political campaigns).

Oh, the OUTRAGE!! [/sarcasm]
Old 11-18-2011, 08:47 AM   #20
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

I'm weirded out by two guys kissing, but I don't really give a damn. I have much bigger things to worry about in life... Like... What's for dinner.