Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

BTB contacted me with this question that you have. I haven't been as active as i used to before on the forums but BTB thought I could give some insight on this topic.

Do I want to do it? Why? Why not?
You become a strength coach because you love everything there is about strength and conditioning. From strength training, speed, plyometrics, to nutrition and recovery/rehabilitation. Unless you get a job at a division 1 school, pro level, or have a successful business such as joe defranco, we as strength coaches don't go into it for the money. Our hours start before the sunrises and we are done when everyone heads to dinner. You practically live in the gym and barely spend time at home. I'm not trying to deter you away from thinking of going in to the job. But you have to really want to be a strength coach. I LOVE IT!

How do I go about it?
All of great things have already been mentioned. You can get the degrees of course, certifications is a must, but overall experience is essential. You can't just be someone who works out, you have to be more than that. You have to be a leader. Since you were in the army, you know all about what it means to be a leader. That is what a strength coach MUST be.

It is important to read up, but also start talking to other strength coaches. If you have a college or high school in your area that has a strength coach, contact them and see if you can meet up and ask them questions. Look at is as an informational interview where you learn more about them and their path in to becoming a strength coach. You never know, it may land you a volunteer job there which is a great first step.

What type of careers could I expect?
Depends on what you are interested in. Ive done group instructing, personal training, and strength and conditioning job. I prefer to work with athletes. Presently, I'm the head strength and conditioning coach at a small private college in southern california.

Hope i gave some helpful points. Best thing to do is try to volunteer at a local high school or college and see if this is actually something you want to pursue. Best of luck!

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
tank
Max Brawn
Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: Rookie
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
BTB contacted me with this question that you have. I haven't been as active as i used to before on the forums but BTB thought I could give some insight on this topic.

Do I want to do it? Why? Why not?
You become a strength coach because you love everything there is about strength and conditioning. From strength training, speed, plyometrics, to nutrition and recovery/rehabilitation. Unless you get a job at a division 1 school, pro level, or have a successful business such as joe defranco, we as strength coaches don't go into it for the money. Our hours start before the sunrises and we are done when everyone heads to dinner. You practically live in the gym and barely spend time at home. I'm not trying to deter you away from thinking of going in to the job. But you have to really want to be a strength coach. I LOVE IT!

How do I go about it?
All of great things have already been mentioned. You can get the degrees of course, certifications is a must, but overall experience is essential. You can't just be someone who works out, you have to be more than that. You have to be a leader. Since you were in the army, you know all about what it means to be a leader. That is what a strength coach MUST be.

It is important to read up, but also start talking to other strength coaches. If you have a college or high school in your area that has a strength coach, contact them and see if you can meet up and ask them questions. Look at is as an informational interview where you learn more about them and their path in to becoming a strength coach. You never know, it may land you a volunteer job there which is a great first step.

What type of careers could I expect?
Depends on what you are interested in. Ive done group instructing, personal training, and strength and conditioning job. I prefer to work with athletes. Presently, I'm the head strength and conditioning coach at a small private college in southern california.

Hope i gave some helpful points. Best thing to do is try to volunteer at a local high school or college and see if this is actually something you want to pursue. Best of luck!
wow. thanks bro! that is exactly the type of perspective i was looking for. after all the years i've been in the army, the hours of work required of my job is definitely not an issue. maybe someday if i have kids, but right now, i can guarantee with 100% certainty the hours of work won't be a problem. ESPECIALLY if i love what i'm doing. thanks again for sharing your experience. you've shed light on my goals.

20 JAN 12 at 200 (90) BW - 385/275/405 (175/125/184) SQ/B/D

29 MAY 12 at 206 (93) BW - 135/175 (61/79) SN/CJ
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #13
tank
Max Brawn

tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor

also, thanks BTB for hookin that up!!

Old 11-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #14
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post
wow. thanks bro! that is exactly the type of perspective i was looking for. after all the years i've been in the army, the hours of work required of my job is definitely not an issue. maybe someday if i have kids, but right now, i can guarantee with 100% certainty the hours of work won't be a problem. ESPECIALLY if i love what i'm doing. thanks again for sharing your experience. you've shed light on my goals.
Glad to help a fellow MAB brother. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
tank
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
Glad to help a fellow MAB brother. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
absolutely.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #16
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

I just become a personal trainer, I would love to get into strength and conditioning. When I was studying my PT certs, I was lucky enough to meet someone who was doing it. He is a powerlifter as well.

I asked him how to get into it, he gave me 3 pieces of advice:-
1. Get strong and people will notice you - In this area, a large part of it is who you know
2. Squat below parallel - Learn how to do the exercises correctly and their variations
3. Always add weight to the bar - Learn how to program routines

I am also about to start a bachelor of exercise and sport science.

I have spent a lot of time going to gym, but about a year ago when I figured out what I wanted to do, I got more serious, started reading more, I got involved with MAB and started focusing on strength.

I am planning on working as a PT full time, I am planning on enter PL meets this year and I plan on studying the degree part time. As I get stronger and better known at my gym, I will start to focus more on people wanting to get strong. I am hoping that by the time I finish my degree 4-6 years (because its part time), I will know people who are in the industry, I will be a lot stronger, I will know a lot more and I will have some experience and degrees to help me.

Just my 0.02c

EDIT:
I got my job as a PT at the gym I wanted (my local gym I train at) because I train at that gym, the trainers (and managers) know me because I am the only person who squats and deadlift. I did work experience there for my PT certs, and as soon as I finished my work exp they basically said "we want you to start asap".

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training Ė and life." - Wendler

Last edited by Spartigus; 11-14-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #17
tank
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
I just become a personal trainer, I would love to get into strength and conditioning. When I was studying my PT certs, I was lucky enough to meet someone who was doing it. He is a powerlifter as well.

I asked him how to get into it, he gave me 3 pieces of advice:-
1. Get strong and people will notice you - In this area, a large part of it is who you know
2. Squat below parallel - Learn how to do the exercises correctly and their variations
3. Always add weight to the bar - Learn how to program routines

I am also about to start a bachelor of exercise and sport science.

I have spent a lot of time going to gym, but about a year ago when I figured out what I wanted to do, I got more serious, started reading more, I got involved with MAB and started focusing on strength.

I am planning on working as a PT full time, I am planning on enter PL meets this year and I plan on studying the degree part time. As I get stronger and better known at my gym, I will start to focus more on people wanting to get strong. I am hoping that by the time I finish my degree 4-6 years (because its part time), I will know people who are in the industry, I will be a lot stronger, I will know a lot more and I will have some experience and degrees to help me.

Just my 0.02c
awesome, bro! you and i have damn near the exact same goals! good luck and keep me posted, because you'll be a few steps ahead of me throughout.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #18
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post
awesome, bro! you and i have damn near the exact same goals! good luck and keep me posted, because you'll be a few steps ahead of me throughout.
Thanks! You will do great man!

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training Ė and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote