Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

I'd like to think that same sex parents make for no more or less competent parents than a traditional couple.

This is perhaps an example of a gay couple being overly protective of their child and his/her development for the right reasons, but going about it in the wrong way.

No doubt they were both persecuted as children and forced to adopt gender roles that they themselves did not feel they fit in to.

In Freudian terms, I believe it's called narcissistic valuation; seeing your kids as extensions of yourself. Straight couples do it all the time.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2011, 01:21 AM   #12
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
And I'm all for everyone being happier. We have far too many miserable people on the planet.
Damn right.

my opinion..

What people do are their decision, not mine and who am i to judge. That is when people are grown up, dont mess with the kids. Giving hormone blockers to an 11 year old? Thats just FU child abuse. If he wants to do it, let him wait until he is 18 or 21 and make the decision for himself.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:11 AM   #13
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

My original point that I deleted was simple...

Its one of those "if you want to be ____ that's cool and all, but don't let it effect ____". This is comparable to vegan parents who force their children to adopt their own eating habits, and the children end up malnourished. Let them think for themselves. (to an extent of course; they are children )

I'd be willing to bet that these women probably have a strong disliking for men. Meaning they probably gave the child some kind of reason to dislike men, regardless of whether it was or was not intentional. Maybe the child over-hears their conversations and opinions about men in general - I don't know, and I don't care.

All children in the early stages are spitting images of their parents and their parents ideals, whether we realize this or not.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:13 AM   #14
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

I think that's what I was trying to say earlier. I don't know... I know what I'm thinking, but I'm having a difficult time trying to depict those thoughts properly with words.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #15
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
My original point that I deleted was simple...

Its one of those "if you want to be ____ that's cool and all, but don't let it effect ____". This is comparable to vegan parents who force their children to adopt their own eating habits, and the children end up malnourished. Let them think for themselves. (to an extent of course; they are children )
"Want to be" implies choice in orientation and I can't agree with that. This story is being overblown because the parents are gay women. There was a similar story years ago about a straight couple with two sons, one of whom preferred tiaras and dolls and all that. He told everyone he felt like a girl trapped in a boy's body. They were allowing both to play with and like whatever they liked. Abbadon's point is very noted here.

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that these women probably have a strong disliking for men. Meaning they probably gave the child some kind of reason to dislike men, regardless of whether it was or was not intentional. Maybe the child over-hears their conversations and opinions about men in general - I don't know, and I don't care.
This is a hugely stereotypical view of gay women as "man haters." which I have never found to be true. I have worked with and am friends with several lesbian couples and they all, to a woman, enjoy time with men. Hell, they watch sports, guzzle beer/wine/shots, cheer for football teams and still find time to be the girls that they are.

Quote:
All children in the early stages are spitting images of their parents and their parents ideals, whether we realize this or not.
So, am I to take that you believe in nurture over nature? Again, I don't know what it's like to feel as if you are born in the wrong body so to speak (and I am not saying that I agree with hormone therapy for a child), but you are making a lot of assumptions and judgments that may or may not be true.

Maybe, just maybe, transgenderism exists. Maybe, just maybe, some people are born feeling out of place in their own bodies in terms of gender identity. I can and do believe that more than I buy the choice argument. Know why? Because I've never met a heterosexual person who can explain when they "chose" to like the opposite sex when the concept of choice is reflected back on them.

We are still (as a society) uncovering the the exact ways that sexual and gender identity form.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #16
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

I'm not going to quote and pick my arguments here or there, because I honestly don't care about this topic enough to argue anything, but let me ask you this...

Does your daughter not seemed to be even slightly influenced or bias by things you do or say? Say something simple, like sports teams or whatever...
Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #17
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
I'm not going to quote and pick my arguments here or there, because I honestly don't care about this topic enough to argue anything, but let me ask you this...

Does your daughter not seemed to be even slightly influenced or bias by things you do or say? Say something simple, like sports teams or whatever...
I am sure some of her tastes are influenced by what I say and do and am not disputing that. I don't think, however, that her own belief that she is, in fact, a female or her own orientation (whatever that turns out to be) is malleable by what I do or say. Her own acceptance of herself and others? Now, I think I have a large influence on that.

Does that makes sense?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #18
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post
I am sure some of her tastes are influenced by what I say and do and am not disputing that. I don't think, however, that her own belief that she is, in fact, a female or her own orientation (whatever that turns out to be) is malleable by what I do or say. Her own acceptance of herself and others? Now, I think I have a large influence on that.

Does that makes sense?
Yes.

The nature vs nurture argument is put soundly to rest every time you look at the cold statistics on the % of openly homosexual children a couple is likely to produce.

It's completely dependent on the size of the family, and has nothing to do with the parent's beliefs and values. The greater the number of offspring a couple has, the more likely one or more of them will be born gay.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #19
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post

Does that makes sense?
It does make sense. And I'm not saying that just because you press you homosexual views and practices on your children that they will become homosexual themselves. But I'm saying that the minds of the young are highly influenced by there surroundings, especially domestic - some more so than others.