Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default You Cheap Son of a Gun

There are certain products where the cheaper, generic alternative just won't cut it. It's not good enough, or not worth the hassle.

Which cheaper versions of products do you avoid?

My big 2 are tuna and toilet paper. Cheap tuna tastes horrible compared the "Chicken of the Sea." When my wife buys bargain tuna I feed it to the cats.

Toilet paper...every day in my household is an adventure. My wife never buys the same brand of toilet paper. One day the rolls are so big and fluffy that they rest up against the wall and can't be unrolled, the next she buys the brand that breaks after square after square. I plead with her to get the "good brand", but to no avail.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Disciple X
Max Brawn
Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine

I dispise crappy tp. Lol
Disciple X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Any kind of car parts outside of simple maintenance things like filters, hoses, etc.. Anything major like exhaust, alternators/starters, etc.. They never seem to last long, or they're not constructed properly the first time. For example, one of my exhaust systems I bought a long time ago wasn't expensive, but it wasn't necessarily cheap. Damn thing was molded wrong and it knocked against the sub-frame. And their high-temp paint coating melted instantly when I got the exhaust hot while toying with my car after I put it on.

Another fine example; I was in a pinch and needed an alternator. I had to get 4 before I bought one that actually worked. The other 3 would fry themselves right after installation.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

When it comes to tp, multiply is the KING! No raw or single ply for me. As for Tuna, it has to be StarKist packed in Garlic Olive oil. Yummy right out of the can. For the most part, generic or cheaper brands are O.K. for OTC medicine(aspirin, Glucosamine...) They have the same ingredients as the expensive name brands.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Disciple X
Max Brawn
Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine

Other items would be boots, electronics, speakers, and lawn mowers...

The best pair of boots i ever owned i still wear almost every day. Harley davidsons. They're made by wolverine boots, so i guess they'd be just as good. Electrinics and soeakers are self explanitory... you get what you pay for. Crappy lawn mowers are more trouble than they're worth. Get a good one
Disciple X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I will not buy cheap tools or cheap cooking pots, pans or kitchen gadgets.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I will not buy cheap tools or cheap cooking pots, pans or kitchen gadgets.
That's another one for me. I learned my lesson after I had my first apartment. Now all my knives, pans, etc. are big money items and they are worth every penny.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Hookers. I generally avoid the cheap ones.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I can't begin to tell you how many cheap tools I have broken...

I can remember at least 3 screwdrivers off hand. And cheap bits for my cordless...the enemy of the working man.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

I always break cheap tools. I've bent a wratchet into a U, I've twisted a 4 inch adapter, and I've cracked countless sockets. I have about 10 10mms and about 9 of them are split.