Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   You Cheap Son of a Gun (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7624)

BendtheBar 10-17-2011 08:47 AM

You Cheap Son of a Gun

There are certain products where the cheaper, generic alternative just won't cut it. It's not good enough, or not worth the hassle.

Which cheaper versions of products do you avoid?

My big 2 are tuna and toilet paper. Cheap tuna tastes horrible compared the "Chicken of the Sea." When my wife buys bargain tuna I feed it to the cats.

Toilet paper...every day in my household is an adventure. My wife never buys the same brand of toilet paper. One day the rolls are so big and fluffy that they rest up against the wall and can't be unrolled, the next she buys the brand that breaks after square after square. I plead with her to get the "good brand", but to no avail.

Disciple X 10-17-2011 08:51 AM

I dispise crappy tp. Lol

Shadowschmadow 10-17-2011 08:53 AM

Any kind of car parts outside of simple maintenance things like filters, hoses, etc.. Anything major like exhaust, alternators/starters, etc.. They never seem to last long, or they're not constructed properly the first time. For example, one of my exhaust systems I bought a long time ago wasn't expensive, but it wasn't necessarily cheap. Damn thing was molded wrong and it knocked against the sub-frame. And their high-temp paint coating melted instantly when I got the exhaust hot while toying with my car after I put it on.

Another fine example; I was in a pinch and needed an alternator. I had to get 4 before I bought one that actually worked. The other 3 would fry themselves right after installation.

Ryano 10-17-2011 08:58 AM

When it comes to tp, multiply is the KING! No raw or single ply for me. As for Tuna, it has to be StarKist packed in Garlic Olive oil. Yummy right out of the can. For the most part, generic or cheaper brands are O.K. for OTC medicine(aspirin, Glucosamine...) They have the same ingredients as the expensive name brands.

Disciple X 10-17-2011 08:58 AM

Other items would be boots, electronics, speakers, and lawn mowers...

The best pair of boots i ever owned i still wear almost every day. Harley davidsons. They're made by wolverine boots, so i guess they'd be just as good. Electrinics and soeakers are self explanitory... you get what you pay for. Crappy lawn mowers are more trouble than they're worth. Get a good one :)

BendtheBar 10-17-2011 09:15 AM

I will not buy cheap tools or cheap cooking pots, pans or kitchen gadgets.

Shadowschmadow 10-17-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 181149)
I will not buy cheap tools or cheap cooking pots, pans or kitchen gadgets.

That's another one for me. I learned my lesson after I had my first apartment. Now all my knives, pans, etc. are big money items and they are worth every penny.

Abaddon 10-17-2011 09:19 AM

Hookers. I generally avoid the cheap ones.

BendtheBar 10-17-2011 09:27 AM

I can't begin to tell you how many cheap tools I have broken...

I can remember at least 3 screwdrivers off hand. And cheap bits for my cordless...the enemy of the working man.

Shadowschmadow 10-17-2011 09:47 AM

I always break cheap tools. I've bent a wratchet into a U, I've twisted a 4 inch adapter, and I've cracked countless sockets. I have about 10 10mms and about 9 of them are split.