Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   NEW ROUTINE!! Please Advise (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7612)

Abaddon 10-16-2011 08:05 AM

NEW ROUTINE!! Please Advise
 
MONDAY
http://abaddontree.muscleandbrawn.co...Lower-etc.tiff

TUESDAY or WEDNESDAY
http://abaddontree.muscleandbrawn.co...ic-Press1.tiff

THURSDAY or FRIDAY
http://abaddontree.muscleandbrawn.co...amic-pull.tiff

Followed of course by Strongman training SATURDAY.
This is the routine I plan to adopt going forward. I am open to any suggestions

Fazc 10-16-2011 08:16 AM

I'd definitely switch Monday with Tuesday. You're far better off Snatching/Benching the day before you Deadlift/Front Squat.

Instead of the second Deadlift session, some Squats maybe?

Abaddon 10-16-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 180884)
I'd definitely switch Monday with Tuesday. You're far better off Snatching/Benching the day before you Deadlift/Front Squat.

Instead of the second Deadlift session, some Squats maybe?

Man, I wish you hadn't said that! Is there a definite advantage to doing 2x squat sessions rather than 2x deadlifting sessions per week? I initially didn't want to do them twice per week either, but I ran out of ideas for back work... and I like deads more than squats :(

I also thought I was doing the right thing by structuring it so I had a good 3-4 days to recover from the Max Effort session monday... :confused:

Fazc 10-16-2011 09:38 AM

I guess it's just not the way I would structure things.

Can you only do events on Saturday or do you have the equipment available on the other days as well?

If you had access to at least limited equipment you could quite easily do a traditional upper/lower split 4 days per week. At least that's how I'd set it up.

Looking through your log there's far too much tricep pushdown, seated alternate hammer curls (really?!) and even in the new routine you got stuff like pulldowns etc and just not enough work on the big stuff. I think you're doing yourself a disservice by just doing 1-2 top set on most things. If you're training for an hour and a half then at least 45-60 minutes of that should be on the big exercises.

I know SM is about a variety of strength, but at the basic level you still do need to just get strong. That's going to come from a hell of a lot of work on the basics, so hell yeah you need to be squatting, twice a week till you're damn good at them. Just look at the progress Spart is making, something like that but designed for SM would be good.

Abaddon 10-16-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 180897)
Can you only do events on Saturday or do you have the equipment available on the other days as well?.

No, I can really only train SM on saturdays.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 180897)
Looking through your log there's far too much tricep pushdown, seated alternate hammer curls (really?!) and even in the new routine you got stuff like pulldowns etc and just not enough work on the big stuff. I think you're doing yourself a disservice by just doing 1-2 top set on most things. If you're training for an hour and a half then at least 45-60 minutes of that should be on the big exercises.

Not true at all. I did seated alternating hammer curls for the first time in maybe a year, last week. I normally do pinwheels, once a fortnight. I similarly only do tri=push once per fortnight. The new routine requires doing these once per week, and I'd gladly drop the triceps work in favour of dips if I could dip my own bodyweight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 180897)
I know SM is about a variety of strength, but at the basic level you still do need to just get strong. That's going to come from a hell of a lot of work on the basics. Just look at the progress Spart is making, something like that but designed for SM would be good.

I'm pretty familiar with Spart's training (I taught him how to bench) but will have another look see.

Fazc 10-16-2011 09:51 AM

Do you actually want help with this or am I wasting my time?

Abaddon 10-16-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 180902)
Do you actually want help with this or am I wasting my time?

I'm not sure what brought about the angry retort, but I am not trying to waste your time. I was clarifying your assumption regarding my biceps training.

One of the reasons I like body part splits is because they allow for more variation in exercises. Having said that, I am happy to reduce the volume of some exercises and increase the volume of others.

The guns still deserve my attention occasionally, don't they? :march:

BendtheBar 10-16-2011 10:02 AM

Abs...just found out the reason I was confused the other day. I didn't know there were images under the day listings. My browser is not displaying tiff format for some reason.

Trying to covert these so I can upload...

Abaddon 10-16-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 180907)
Abs...just found out the reason I was confused the other day. I didn't know there were images under the day listings. My browser is not displaying tiff format for some reason.

oh can't you see my templates? Bugger. I will need to swap them out for jpgs tomorrow.

BendtheBar 10-16-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abaddon (Post 180908)
oh can't you see my templates? Bugger. I will need to swap them out for jpgs tomorrow.

No worries I got it.

Yeah when you posted them originally I thought it was a blank slate open for suggestions.


ME Lower
Deadlifts 5 sets
Front Box Squats 4 sets
Hamstring Curls 3 sets
Shrugs 3 sets
Static Holds 3 sets

Dynamic Press + Arms
One arm snatch 2 sets
Overhead press 4 sets
Bench variation 4 sets
DB curls 4 sets
Tricep pushdowns 4 sets

Dynamic Pull
Deadlifts 4 sets (light)
Seated row 4 sets
One arm rows 3 sets
Lateral pull downs 4 sets
Face pulls 4 sets


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.