Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Bodybuilder versus Powerlifter (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7569)

BendtheBar 10-10-2011 10:50 PM

Bodybuilder versus Powerlifter

What is more impressive to you...

--A bodybuilder who is able to cross compete in powerlifting and show that bodybuilders aren't weaklings and can build strength with what is considered hypertrophy ranges.

--A powerlifter who is able to cross compete in bodybuilding and show that strength training also builds muscle.

This isn't meant to start a holy war, but I think it's an interesting question.

Which of these 2 paradigms shattered your personal beliefs about lifting? Is one of these more prevalent than the other, meaning are bodybuilders more likely to be strong, or are powerlifters more likely to be muscular?

Or do you believe cross competitors are just freaks?

BendtheBar 10-10-2011 10:53 PM

My honest answer is that the powerlifter building muscle most upset my apple cart. I spent 20 years in the bodybuilding realm and found strength very important for gains, but I never expected the powerlifting style to be so effective for mass.

Then again, I never imagined that my "bodybuilder strength" would be strong enough to compete in powerlifting.

Simply breaking out of the Weider paradigm for me has changed my life and opened doors.

Abaddon 10-10-2011 11:30 PM

Being able to do either is a feat. I've seen recently one fella called Babyslayer who was a chubby powerlifter who decided to become a body builder. Turned out quite well.
http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img...ri4Fg675p.jpeg

kitarpyar 10-10-2011 11:46 PM

I agree with Abbadon. Being competitive in any one field is hard enough. Cross-competing (and winning) is plain awesome.

Kuytrider 10-11-2011 12:55 AM

I am trying to train powerlifting but I have total respect for bodybuilders and the sacrifices and discipline they have. The gym I go to is a total BB gym and a lot of the guys are decent enough blokes but of course there are a few a-holes as you would expect anywhere.
Most of these BB'ers are very strong as well as looking muscular so no one can tell me that a bodybuilder ain't strong. And no one can tell me that a powerlifter can't have muscle because when you are training hard and eating right, muscle has to come, simply because of the strain you put on your body plus the nutrition you use to feed it.

And the answer the question: Both are incredibly impressive.

big_swede 10-11-2011 01:13 AM

Anyone that has the guts to get themself on a strict diet and cut for months and the whole thing ending up in posing, painted in a dark spraytan wearing speedos, in front of people, are worth a ton of respect. I wont dare to do that, even if I wanted to =)

Props to all BBers!

LtL 10-11-2011 04:05 AM

In the golden age of lifting, the two were never mutually exclusive. The top guys such is Grimek were the strongest AND had the best physiques. It is no surprise to me that top natural bodybuilders like Layne Norton, Sean "Sully" Sullivan for example, compete in PL in their off seasons AND build significant muscle mass whilst doing so.

WRT the original question I'm going firmly on the fence. I respect anyone who has the discipline and desire to compete whether on the platform or the stage. /KOPOUT

LtL

Rich Knapp 10-11-2011 06:19 AM

As a competitive BBer. I never thought a bber could do power lifting until my comeback and followed more bber than in the past.

For any bber to be able to cross over and still get ripped once a year for a show like Layne and the guys at 3D Muscle Journey do. I respect them in both worlds.

If they do good they mastered 2 similar but not the same sports.

But we can't call them a BBer doing P/L it isn't fair. IF they started as a P/L and do BB also now it is like a P/L doing BBing in his/her off season.

Its like a Porsha winning a road race then getting fitted with knobby tires and winning a hill climbing race, or a big 4X4 winning a monster truck contest then hitting the circuit and winning a road race.
:march:

I am by trade a BBer but I have found my most gains have been made with combining the best of both worlds.
  1. P/L style w/o's (with my own twist)
  2. The science and nutrition detail of a Pro BBer.

1. Anyone stupid enough to to get under a chunk of iron that can kill them in a milla sec. deserves respect.

2. Any one as stated earlier, get up in front for 1000+ people basically naked and squeeze out some poses after 3-6 months of harsh dieting deserves respect.

3. Anyone that can master both? STAY THE HECK OUT OF THERE WAY. I don't care if they are considered a BBer or P/L thats some dedication and drive right there. :rockon:

J_Byrd 10-11-2011 06:25 AM

You have to be crazy to do either one. I am very impressed by Sam Byrd. He is probably an exception to the rule, but he is a multiple time world record holder in the squat who also is a competitive bodybuilder. At the same time Stan Efferding who is a world class body builder, and also has a world record raw total. Enough hard work and (I assume) science, anything can happen.

Shadowschmadow 10-11-2011 06:59 AM

Both are equally awesome to me.