Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member
Default Old School motivation.

The main site:

Classic Bodybuilders of the Golden Era of Bodybuilding

A few that embody what bodybuilding is to me. There is obviously more than the few I linked. What made these stand out is the overall proportions of their physique. They also posses a rugged almost power lifter type of hardness to them. Their waist are not always tiny little ultra thin. Several show power through their hips from heavy lifting. This is usually most noticable on those that have a wall of abs.

Somebody asked me what my goals were. This would be just fine.

Classic Bodybuilder: Irvin 'Zabo' Koszewski

Classic Bodybuilder: Clarence Ross

Classic Bodybuilder: Leo Robert

Classic Bodybuilder: Jusup Wilkosz

Classic Bodybuilder: Larry Scott

Classic Bodybuilder: Bill Pearl

Classic Bodybuilder: Richard Baldwin
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
TitanWIP
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39

TitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good posts

I like many of thse guys as well. Its interesting to read abotu training before the sport was infested with so much bullshit.
TitanWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

That's a great site. And it gives me a good idea.

If you guys find any routines/training philosophies by any of these guys, post the link on this thread. I'll add the routine to MAB's homepage.

I checked a few of the profiles and they were mainly pictures. Don't know if some have profiles as well...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
That's a great site. And it gives me a good idea.

If you guys find any routines/training philosophies by any of these guys, post the link on this thread. I'll add the routine to MAB's homepage.

I checked a few of the profiles and they were mainly pictures. Don't know if some have profiles as well...
Will do. I'm also looking, and have so far only found a few. I'll get some links together.

I have found this blog called, "Classic Physique Builder". It is not perfect, but does have some info, and history.

Classic Physique Builder

I believe that MAB, has some very good articles about strength training, and the aspects of physique limits. Coupled with modern nutrition science a solid classic physique recipe is already here. I have some of my own ideas and thoughts on this subject as well. Hardly any of it is new. In fact I found an article where Steve Reeves advocated the process of working Delts as a priority over pecs. The Standing Press, used to be the main strength move. Now it is the Bench Press.

Gotta go get a few thing done right now, but will send you the links to what I have so far.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Will do. I'm also looking, and have so far only found a few. I'll get some links together.

I have found this blog called, "Classic Physique Builder". It is not perfect, but does have some info, and history.

Classic Physique Builder

I believe that MAB, has some very good articles about strength training, and the aspects of physique limits. Coupled with modern nutrition science a solid classic physique recipe is already here. I have some of my own ideas and thoughts on this subject as well. Hardly any of it is new. In fact I found an article where Steve Reeves advocated the process of working Delts as a priority over pecs. The Standing Press, used to be the main strength move. Now it is the Bench Press.

Gotta go get a few thing done right now, but will send you the links to what I have so far.
Sounds good. I have nothing but time. Initially when I got the site running, I had to include a lot of filler content to get Google's interest. I'm trying to refine that content now...and am always looking for training routines.

I'll generally post those as stand alone articles.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
glwanabe
Max Brawn

So, I signed up at the "Classic Physique Builder" for his E-zine magazine. Mr. Miller sent me the first two issues to download.

The overall look of his mag is exactly what it should be. Classic bodybuilders, and how they trained. This is the bodybuilding that I'm interested in. for the most part I like it. I have not had time to fully pick apart everything that has been written, but I did notice a few things that I would disagree with.

He commented on the "Clean" as a more weightlifting centered lift, and that it should be left out of a BB program. I think that is just wrong! The clean is a classic power, and strength move, and should be a part of building a classic style physique. The clean was a basic move for many Bodybuilders. I would also point out that Olympic style lifting was the main weightlifting sport that many guys transitioned from. Concerning nutrition, we have made advances in our knowledge of nutrition, so following the old style nutrition could be updated with modern, real food knowledge.

There are sample programs that the Bodybuilders used, and this will be interesting to dig into, and tear apart.

I applaud Mr. Miller's quest to bring focus on real, "healthy" bodybuilding as it once was. I'm looking forward to really digging in to the material he is presenting.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:

He commented on the "Clean" as a more weightlifting centered lift, and that it should be left out of a BB program.
I don't think any pure strength/compound lift can be ruled out of a bodybuilding program. And I'm with you on the back to basics and healthy living aspects.

I've always trained with a lot of the old school principles. It just took the web to educate me on them.

My only advance training technique up until last year was progression of weight. I rarely spent time on arm and ab work, yet my arms grew.

I will be honest, there are some old school routines that are extremely taxing, and I'm not sure how well I could hang with them now.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
glwanabe
Max Brawn

A little more Leo Robert.

Leo Robert, Mr. Universe Pro

Leo Robert Magazine Gallery
Old 09-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #9
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Chuck Sipes,

Classic Bodybuilder: Chuck Sipes

George Eiferman,

Classic Bodybuilder: George Eiferman
Old 09-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Great pictures! Man, I've never seen that site. Awesome!