Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Iron Gladiator
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,577, Level: 30 Points: 2,577, Level: 30 Points: 2,577, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Iron Gladiator is a dedicated contributorIron Gladiator is a dedicated contributorIron Gladiator is a dedicated contributorIron Gladiator is a dedicated contributorIron Gladiator is a dedicated contributorIron Gladiator is a dedicated contributorIron Gladiator is a dedicated contributorIron Gladiator is a dedicated contributorIron Gladiator is a dedicated contributorIron Gladiator is a dedicated contributorIron Gladiator is a dedicated contributor
Default Squats: Are They Really That Important?

These days, it seems like everyone “already knows” how important squats are. And yet, it’s still incredibly rare to see anyone performing full squats in most gyms. And it’s even more rare to see someone working HARD with the barbell on their back. On some level, I get it. Hard work will never be popular. But everybody loves [...]

More...
Iron Gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

This article is by Mike Marshall, a new contributing writer to MAB:

Matt Marshall | Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding and Powerlifting.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
beam
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,054, Level: 34 Points: 3,054, Level: 34 Points: 3,054, Level: 34

beam is a dedicated contributorbeam is a dedicated contributorbeam is a dedicated contributorbeam is a dedicated contributorbeam is a dedicated contributorbeam is a dedicated contributorbeam is a dedicated contributorbeam is a dedicated contributorbeam is a dedicated contributorbeam is a dedicated contributorbeam is a dedicated contributor

I hate being reminded how important squats are in a workout. My damn back won't allow me to squat. Leg press and machine hack is all I can do.
beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
AthleteCreator
Trollin'
Uber Brawn
Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16 Points: 962, Level: 16

AthleteCreator is new to the forumAthleteCreator is new to the forum

Beam, why?

Have you tried front squats? Zercher Squats? DB Squat Jumps?

Now, if you have fused disks or vertebrae or anything as serious as that, I understand. But if it "just hurts" there are other options out there.

Hell, even if it is something serious as that, have you tried backwards sled drags? Those things will MURDER your quads.

There is nothing "smart" about a 3rd attempt deadlift.
AthleteCreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:48 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beam View Post
I hate being reminded how important squats are in a workout. My damn back won't allow me to squat. Leg press and machine hack is all I can do.
Yeah bud...what's going on with your back?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member
Default Just my opinion, worth exactly .02

WATCH THIS VIDEO!!

The Video FitCast- Episode 6

Dan John is talking about squatting, and the proper position your body should be in, when in the down position.

SQUAT LIKE AN OLYMPIC LIFTER!

Notice the pictue of Arnold on the article. He is in the exact position that Dan is saying not to get into. Since I have started using a full Olympic squat I feel the move through all of my body.

You will probably need to reduce your current weights, because your bringing muscles into the move that have been isolated out when muscling yourself through them. Doing an olympic type move has really been working my glutes and making them stronger. Your glutes are a major power source for your lower body, use them!!

Lower your weights and stop wearing a belt. Let those muscles do the job they are supposed to be doing, and get them stronger. Wear a belt when your pushing for a max. How often do your really need to set a new max?

Is your waist going to get bigger from not wearing a belt? Maybe a little, but when you lose the fat on your gut the point is moot. You'll also build a solid wall of strong abs, abs your not going to get by doing crunches.

gotta run.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
Hell, even if it is something serious as that, have you tried backwards sled drags? Those things will MURDER your quads.
I love backwards sled drags, I do not have a sled but I just drag weights on the grass so it works. Nothing blows up your legs like drags, awesome burn and pump.
jwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

I need to set a new max every week. Thats what its all about. Breaking Records.

As far as the belt. My abs are more sore after a squat or deadlift workout with a belt as opposed to an ab routine. Its due to expansion against the belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
WATCH THIS VIDEO!!

The Video FitCast- Episode 6

Dan John is talking about squatting, and the proper position your body should be in, when in the down position.

SQUAT LIKE AN OLYMPIC LIFTER!

Notice the pictue of Arnold on the article. He is in the exact position that Dan is saying not to get into. Since I have started using a full Olympic squat I feel the move through all of my body.

You will probably need to reduce your current weights, because your bringing muscles into the move that have been isolated out when muscling yourself through them. Doing an olympic type move has really been working my glutes and making them stronger. Your glutes are a major power source for your lower body, use them!!

Lower your weights and stop wearing a belt. Let those muscles do the job they are supposed to be doing, and get them stronger. Wear a belt when your pushing for a max. How often do your really need to set a new max?

Is your waist going to get bigger from not wearing a belt? Maybe a little, but when you lose the fat on your gut the point is moot. You'll also build a solid wall of strong abs, abs your not going to get by doing crunches.

gotta run.
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwys61 View Post
I need to set a new max every week. Thats what its all about. Breaking Records.

As far as the belt. My abs are more sore after a squat or deadlift workout with a belt as opposed to an ab routine. Its due to expansion against the belt

When I say MAX, I mean 1 rep max. I also push to constantly do more than I did last time, but I'm not setting a new 1 rep max each week, are you?

Have you ever tried to hold a "planche"?

Working the gymnastic moves taught me a whole new way of experiencing core strength, and how it is employed. To do a planche, or even any of the easier progressions up to it, you must contract your abs tightly for rigidity. Pushing your abs out gives you nothing.

I've worn a belt in the past to do squats. Without wearing one, I need to contract my abs tightly, pull my shoulder blades together, and build rigidity into my whole core, front to back. It brings a more whole body approach into play when performing the movement.

Like I said, this is my opinion. I've done it the old way, I prefer this way. In a very real sense I've had to start over because I'm working muscles in a way they have not been stressed before. I can tell you that my lower back has never felt better, and I have much less problems with doing bent rows, cleans, and deads. My lower back feels worked, but not sore that that it causes pain. There is good muscle growth happening there.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

With the conjugate method, I am trying to set a new 1RM each week, just maybe not the exact same lift. It may be a squat or good morning or a deadlift or any variation of the previous 3.

I haven't held a "planche" or tried to

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
[/B]

When I say MAX, I mean 1 rep max. I also push to constantly do more than I did last time, but I'm not setting a new 1 rep max each week, are you?

Have you ever tried to hold a "planche"?

Working the gymnastic moves taught me a whole new way of experiencing core strength, and how it is employed. To do a planche, or even any of the easier progressions up to it, you must contract your abs tightly for rigidity. Pushing your abs out gives you nothing.

I've worn a belt in the past to do squats. Without wearing one, I need to contract my abs tightly, pull my shoulder blades together, and build rigidity into my whole core, front to back. It brings a more whole body approach into play when performing the movement.

Like I said, this is my opinion. I've done it the old way, I prefer this way. In a very real sense I've had to start over because I'm working muscles in a way they have not been stressed before. I can tell you that my lower back has never felt better, and I have much less problems with doing bent rows, cleans, and deads. My lower back feels worked, but not sore that that it causes pain. There is good muscle growth happening there.
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote