Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts
Default Rant on E-statisticians

E-statisticians

These people can be distinguished from E-warriors and general Trolls for one main reason. E-warriors want you to believe they're tougher than you. E-staters don't cross the line beyond just wanting you to think they're stronger than you.

I’m reminded of a guy who recently commented on one of my humble home movies.
Quote:
“I do 50kg with one arm buddy. Straight barwith 50kgs of Chrome wights on it, thats around 8 and a half stone.
Its not a regular thing, i only do it to "show off", but i do boxing practice with 10kg dumbells, try it out, you'll be suprised at how strong you get, it makes your mucles as hard as bone.”

“I can do curls and raises with the 50kg, but like i said, its not a regular thing, im not interested in getting big.”

“Im not into getting big like a wrestler or anything like that, i have always tried to maintain a balance between size and speed so i dont get to big of a build.”
I’m still not sure what provoked this person to talk about his amazing feats of strength, but anyway I asked him to provide me with a video. He wasn’t being critical or offensive, why not entertain the guy?
He eventually came back with this:

Quote:
“I stuck the camera on yesterday to show me lifting the 50kg with one arm, and i cant do it WAAAAA
I even tried lifting it straight like standing up to use the power of me legs and i still couldnt do it,, i reduced the weight down to 40, then to 30, then to 20kg and even at 20 it got sore after a few curls,, i got my friend round to help with the wioghts at 50kg (he has seen me lift the 50kg with one arm before), and even he was suprised i couldnt.
So now i feel stupid.”
Yes. I bet you do.

I don’t know much about this guy, but he sounds like an MMA devotee, and from his other posts I’d go with ‘functional strength’, body weight type training is his thing… so (again, I’m assuming) he’s not a big, big dude like me. Not if he’s in any way serious about what he does.

So why would somebody – anybody – just chime in on an unrelated video and make a ridiculous claim like this?

Look. I’m not saying I’m superman, but I would never even attempt to curl a 50 kilogram dumbbell, at least not right now. Maybe in another year I might be able to do it; seated, with a generous amount of ‘body language’ involved if it’s for reps…
If it ever happens it’s a long way off, is what I’m saying.

But this guy wants me to believe he can do something I can’t, yet has never focussed on ‘getting big’ and doesn’t actually do what he says he can do very often at all… because I don’t know about you, but I find I get much much better at a particular exercise by not doing it very often. Right.

Some people just need their keyboards taken away. Use the mouse. Surf the net all you want. Just don't type bullshit. It only adds to the ever-increasing mass of utterly useless crap and lies surrounding this industry.

And besides there is a home for this type of thing: it's called bodybuilding.com

34 kg / 75 lbs dumbbells. I know I can move these for a few reps... if I'm pedantic enough I might add the weight of those extra-long bars to the total, but I'd feel like a wanker.*

*2.3 kgs / 5 lbs each

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet

Last edited by Abaddon; 09-29-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
So why would somebody anybody just chime in on an unrelated video and make a ridiculous claim like this?
That is the question.

With each passing day I find myself restricting my responses on the Internet more and more. There are so many time wasters, and so many people directly or indirectly trying to bring us down.

This challenges me to look in the mirror and ask what can I do to be the opposite for people?

One of my good friends used to remark to me that there are 2 types of people: life givers and life suckers. I believe that if we spend our time as life suckers, it starts to wear us out and shred us to pieces internally. We can't live our lives destroying without it destroying us.

I am far from perfect, and still find myself pulled off track every day. Even on days where I awake feeling highly motivated to be a contributor, something always blindsides me and I end up allowing the negative energy to suck my life.

I don't know why people are like this. I mean I do understand the mechanics that create the mental instability, but I don't know why people aren't able to see what they are doing. I'll never understand why people don't see themselves with a greater degree of transparency.

All of this makes me appreciate those in life that build and repair. More and more as I age I believe the key to helping anyone, or the key to being successful, is having the ability to ignore the fluff and hate and put the majority of our energy into building something regardless of the consequences.

Anyway, that's my midnight philosophy for tonight.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:05 AM   #3
Hazzard
Max Brawn

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

Because with the internet comes anonymity. And with anonymity its easy to boast about what you have done. even if it is completely falsified.

You can curl 34kg DBs mate? That's pretty damn awesome.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:48 AM   #4
Gaz6682
All-Rounder
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2 Years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: USN Muscle Fuel Anabolic
Gaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
Because with the internet comes anonymity. And with anonymity its easy to boast about what you have done. even if it is completely falsified.

I can never get my head around these people. What do they get from showing off to complete strangers who they have never met and are unlikely to ever meet?

"If you want to look like some Abercrombie model, then find another program and enjoy your nice, easy training style. If you are serious about adding muscle to your frame, then get under the damn bar and make it happen"
Gaz6682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:02 AM   #5
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz6682 View Post
I can never get my head around these people. What do they get from showing off to complete strangers who they have never met and are unlikely to ever meet?
Same.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:35 AM   #6
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn

Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

What I find the most odd about this is that the guy actually admitted that he can't do it, instead of making excuses for why he can't make the video. Usually these douche canoes will skirt around the issue of proof rather than admit they were wrong.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #7
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
What I find the most odd about this is that the guy actually admitted that he can't do it, instead of making excuses for why he can't make the video. Usually these douche canoes will skirt around the issue of proof rather than admit they were wrong.
That's a valid point. But yeah, I'd still say he's a tool for trying to brag. Lol, and he couldn't do the lift, because its "not a regular thing" that he does.

One word - Consistency.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
rippednmichigan
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
And who are you again? Lol sup girly!

Ab's sadly enough people feel the need to sound off at the mouth and be someone they are not, sad.

Sent from my Epic 4G with Tapatalk

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

Its referred as seeking validation through others' praise

I could care less how strong haters are on a message board. I was damn impresses with BTB's strength in person though. I have never seen the point of over bragging my lifts. I dont video a lot of stuff, probably wont in the future either. If I was to brag about being super strong eventually a lurker would call me out in a meet and why would anyone risk that? I eventually would be more than thrilled if I could make a career out of the fitness industry once I retire from the army and being proven a liar would be severly detrimental to that cause.
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn

Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippednmichigan View Post
And who are you again? Lol sup girly!

Hey Ripper.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote