Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #21
muscleboundmama
muscleboundmama
New Brawn
Points: 92, Level: 1 Points: 92, Level: 1 Points: 92, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Squats
muscleboundmama is off to a good startmuscleboundmama is off to a good startmuscleboundmama is off to a good startmuscleboundmama is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Lol, I'm the opposite. I avoid all contact at the gym, for the most part. I have 3 friends at my gym, the rest I've talked to are complete tools. One of my buddies is an ex-college powerlifter. The other two are older guys (mid-late 50's) and they're ****ing strong. Like, really strong. I watch them out lift people less than half their age all day long. Good guys though.

Then there's the lumber jack, who I've had a very brief conversation with; I spotted him, he spotted me and our explanations of what to do were about all we said to each other. This dude is an animal. If I see him again, I'll take a picture. I've never seen anyone work like this guy does. Never.
Agreed, I stick to myself. I don't offer help, even if I see horrendous form. It's not my place. He may think he's doing it right and who am I to tell him he's wrong? I mind my business, they mind theirs, we all win. If someone ASKS for my help, I gladly give it. Otherwise, it's me and my iPod
muscleboundmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #22
Gaz6682
All-Rounder
Max Brawn
Points: 2,447, Level: 29 Points: 2,447, Level: 29 Points: 2,447, Level: 29
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: USN Muscle Fuel Anabolic
Gaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleboundmama View Post
I'd say you are lucky and i'd love it if your idea of gender equality in the free-weight area was more common. happy to hear you have a different experience than i had. my experience is different - and having fun with it makes it makes it less obnoxious.
Well I'm sorry you have had to endure that and perhaps my first retort was a little harsh but I still believe some of what you have said to be ridiculous. Perhaps it's the perception tho

"If you want to look like some Abercrombie model, then find another program and enjoy your nice, easy training style. If you are serious about adding muscle to your frame, then get under the damn bar and make it happen"
Gaz6682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #23
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I can agree with most everything that the OP said, except the 'staring' part. Guys stare, that's the way we are wired. We are visual and women are verbal. We stare at EVERYTHING, including attractive women. I've been happily married for 25 years, but I still stare at the attractive women walking by me. I also stare at the young thugs with their sideways hats and low slung jeans, I stare at the guy next to me in the resteraunt who's dinner looks better than mine, I even stare at the dog licking his butt in the middle of my living room. It's what we do, live with it.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #24
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz6682 View Post
Well I'm sorry you have had to endure that and perhaps my first retort was a little harsh but I still believe some of what you have said to be ridiculous. Perhaps it's the perception tho
It really is perception! Most regulars at the gym know that my wife is my wife, and we are usually together, but she's told me multiple times that it's a very different experience at the gym depending on whether I'm with her or not. Not blatant things, just small differences that let her know that she's being treated differently. It doesn't take much to make someone feel unwelcome.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #25
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I can agree with most everything that the OP said, except the 'staring' part. Guys stare, that's the way we are wired. We are visual and women are verbal. We stare at EVERYTHING, including attractive women. I've been happily married for 25 years, but I still stare at the attractive women walking by me. I also stare at the young thugs with their sideways hats and low slung jeans, I stare at the guy next to me in the resteraunt who's dinner looks better than mine, I even stare at the dog licking his butt in the middle of my living room. It's what we do, live with it.
Well, I don't stare like a stalker, but I do glance.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #26
Gaz6682
All-Rounder
Max Brawn

Gaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Agreed. Same goes for a nice sunset or a fantastic piece of art work. If it looks good, we stare at it. It's human nature.

"If you want to look like some Abercrombie model, then find another program and enjoy your nice, easy training style. If you are serious about adding muscle to your frame, then get under the damn bar and make it happen"
Old 09-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #27
muscleboundmama
muscleboundmama
New Brawn
Points: 92, Level: 1 Points: 92, Level: 1 Points: 92, Level: 1

Fav Exercise: Squats
muscleboundmama is off to a good startmuscleboundmama is off to a good startmuscleboundmama is off to a good startmuscleboundmama is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz6682 View Post
Harsh? Yes. Ridiculous? Perspective. My post was to share with people the insecurities MOST women face when first exposed to the free-weight area. Its purpose was to evoke compassion for all people in that area and understanding that we all come from different places and it's reasonable to be kind.

Thank you for your recommendation to get over myself, but i'll pass. I'm quite proud of my piece and it's helped a number of women who have felt the very same way I did in the beginning. siouxcountry.com reviewed it quite favourably, and I was happy to lighten the subject for many.
muscleboundmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #28
Gaz6682
All-Rounder
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
It really is perception! Most regulars at the gym know that my wife is my wife, and we are usually together, but she's told me multiple times that it's a very different experience at the gym depending on whether I'm with her or not. Not blatant things, just small differences that let her know that she's being treated differently. It doesn't take much to make someone feel unwelcome.
To be fair I should have pointed out my background. I have trained almost exclusively in military gyms and the majority of the girls who come in to the free weights area are military girls so are and always will be treated like "one of the lads" so to speak. i really don't think I'd be any different with a civilian girl tho, perhaps I am in the minority.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #29
Gaz6682
All-Rounder
Max Brawn

Quote:
Harsh? Yes. Ridiculous? Perspective. My post was to share with people the insecurities MOST women face when first exposed to the free-weight area. Its purpose was to evoke compassion for all people in that area and understanding that we all come from different places and it's reasonable to be kind.

Thank you for your recommendation to get over myself, but i'll pass. I'm quite proud of my piece and it's helped a number of women who have felt the very same way I did in the beginning. siouxcountry.com reviewed it quite favourably, and I was happy to lighten the subject for many.
If your piece had been written about women by a man it would be ripped apart and probably labelled sexist. I was on board for the mostpart until I got to the code of conduct part. I mean why on earth would you complain about someone helping you to rack your weight for one thing? i can't work that out, surely that's a nice thing to do.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #30
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:

Let's not be hasty. I think Gaz is doing a poor job of explaining his position, as I often do.

I believe when he stated "get over yourself" his intentions were to tell you what we would tell anyone else; put your other ear bud on, pay more attention to what you're doing instead of others looking at you, and do what you came in there to do. SFW!