Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #11
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
lost in translation, huh?
Evidently. She's hilarious sometimes. I actually had her do it to help build her confidence, because I didn't actually NEED a lift off. I couldn't believe it, looking up at the bar with her hands still on it.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #12
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Evidently. She's hilarious sometimes. I actually had her do it to help build her confidence, because I didn't actually NEED a lift off. I couldn't believe it, looking up at the bar with her hands still on it.
Fortunately, you could just rest it down again It's strange how we think we've given clear instruction, which it usually is and others would "get it", but some get it wrong by following to the letter of the instruction.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #13
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Actually, I do have her spot me sometimes. She doesn't grab the bar like most guys do, she just pushes enough to keep it moving, which is what I want.

If I need a lift off though. . .Hell no. She lost lift-off rights.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #14
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Actually, I do have her spot me sometimes. She doesn't grab the bar like most guys do, she just pushes enough to keep it moving, which is what I want.

Second chance?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #15
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Lmao, that's great.

I don't get the wife to spot me unless I don't see anyone worthy. Even then, I press much harder without a spotter than I do with a spotter. Some people say spotters allow them to press more because they try to lift more than they believe they are capable of. For me, a spotter causes me to press less, because I know I have someone to catch my fail. If you want to see me crush weight on bench, watch when I have no one to rely on, because I know there's no way out but me.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #16
Gaz6682
All-Rounder
Max Brawn
Points: 2,447, Level: 29 Points: 2,447, Level: 29 Points: 2,447, Level: 29
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: USN Muscle Fuel Anabolic
Gaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Lmao, that's great.

I don't get the wife to spot me unless I don't see anyone worthy. Even then, I press much harder without a spotter than I do with a spotter. Some people say spotters allow them to press more because they try to lift more than they believe they are capable of. For me, a spotter causes me to press less, because I know I have someone to catch my fail. If you want to see me crush weight on bench, watch when I have no one to rely on, because I know there's no way out but me.
This is true. Dangerous but definitely true. I rarely use a spotter and there have been times where I've found an extra 1 or 2% due to sheer self-preservation.

"If you want to look like some Abercrombie model, then find another program and enjoy your nice, easy training style. If you are serious about adding muscle to your frame, then get under the damn bar and make it happen"
Gaz6682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #17
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Not recommended:

The guy who taught me how to squat and DL uses "spotters", but no hooks. When he squats he has people observe him, but not really in position, and he has them take the hooks out of the cage. My favorite line from him is "No hooks means no way out".

Look him up on youtube. Guy's name is Andy Ruse, but his youtube name is Blenderate. He's definitely a freak of nature. And the best part; he drives a smart car. Really nice guy though.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #18
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Second chance?
Lol, I couldn't pay her enough to do it again. She felt so bad after I gave up on the lift. She has anxiety disorder, so I have to really watch how I treat her and do my best to always lift up her self confidence. The first few times I took her to the gym she cried.

Yeah. . .and not a little. Full on crying. In the gym.

Now she squats her bodyweight ATG and dead lifts 1pps like it's air.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #19
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Not recommended:

The guy who taught me how to squat and DL uses "spotters", but no hooks. When he squats he has people observe him, but not really in position, and he has them take the hooks out of the cage. My favorite line from him is "No hooks means no way out".

Look him up on youtube. Guy's name is Andy Ruse, but his youtube name is Blenderate. He's definitely a freak of nature. And the best part; he drives a smart car. Really nice guy though.
My wife is a high school teacher, and the football players she teaches told her that their coach doesn't let them use the safety bars in the power racks when they squat. There could never be a "reason" for that to be a good idea as far as I'm concerned.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #20
Gaz6682
All-Rounder
Max Brawn
Points: 2,447, Level: 29 Points: 2,447, Level: 29 Points: 2,447, Level: 29
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: USN Muscle Fuel Anabolic
Gaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributorGaz6682 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Not recommended:

Can't get on youTube at work mate but I'll have a look tonight.

"If you want to look like some Abercrombie model, then find another program and enjoy your nice, easy training style. If you are serious about adding muscle to your frame, then get under the damn bar and make it happen"
Gaz6682 is offline   Reply With Quote