Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cage fighting for kids is slammed by experts as “barbaric” (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7405)

Carl1174 09-23-2011 01:20 PM

Cage fighting for kids is slammed by experts as “barbaric”

Cage fighting for kids is slammed by experts as “barbaric”

Cage fighting for kids is slammed by experts as “barbaric” - mirror.co.uk

Quote:

Terrified children are paraded in front of hundreds of screaming adults who pay up to £25 a head to watch them beat hell out of each other.

And, amazingly, it’s all perfectly legal.

The latest shameful contest – slammed by child welfare experts as “barbaric” – was staged at a social club in Preston, Lancs.

Shocking video footage shows kids battling bare-handed and without protective equipment as 450 boozy spectators – mainly men – jeer and wolf-whistle at scantily-clad girls who appear between each of the nine-minute bouts
As a father i can't agree with this, perhaps with protection, like a proper 'amateur' boxing match, or martial arts competition OK? But grown men going to watch children try to hurt each other, there is something wrong IMHO... makes me feel sad :(

Carl.

Aurik 09-23-2011 01:30 PM

Kids have no business in full-contact martial arts, end of story. Adults have the maturity to understand the risks involved and make a conscious informed decision to compete, but no parent should allow a 9 year old kid to participate in something like this.

Edit:

After reading the whole article, I have to update my opinion on this somewhat. Based upon the rules that were conveyed in the article, I see this as very similar to kids' judo. In judo, no strikes are permitted, and joint locks aren't permitted until students reach a certain age. Sooo... I don't agree with them calling it MMA and "cage fighting", but the basic premise of the competition isn't as bad as it sounds.

BendtheBar 09-23-2011 01:32 PM

This is bizarre. Not sure how this can be legal.

T-Bone 09-23-2011 01:49 PM

from the article:

Quote:

In America cage fights involve children as young as four. Earlier this summer Bunny *Hawkersmith, 55, president of the United Fighters Alliance, pledged to bring the phenomenon to Britain.
I've never heard of this in my neck of the woods. Unless by America, the author doesn't necessarily mean the U.S.

This would have been my worst nightmare when I was that age.

Tannhauser 09-23-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone (Post 174030)
from the article:

I've never heard of this in my neck of the woods. Unless by America, the author doesn't necessarily mean the U.S.

They probably made it up, or got it wrong. The article is from the UK's Daily Mirror. It's not a newspaper noted for unalloyed journalistic integrity.

Fazc 09-23-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannhauser (Post 174077)
It's not a newspaper noted for unalloyed journalistic integrity.

Indeed!