Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-R View Post
And its a bigger shame that once the dust settles, we're back to our cut-throat ways...
All I can say is "we're" is always reduced to "I".

It always boils down to being a life giver or a life sucker. We can't expect the world to act differently when we don't care about the impact of our own words and deeds. It always starts with the man in the mirror. That is all we can control, and that is all we will ever be able to control.

Each day the lives of my friends ebb and flow with tragedy and happiness. Sharing the boat with them during this journey is an important part of my day. Each us us has days where we feel high and everything in the world feels perfect. The longer we feel high, the easier it is to forget hard times.

But as we age, we accumulate experiences and difficult circumstances. Difficult circumstances help to mold and shape our lives and philosophies. This is growth and part of the maturation process. It's a normal, healthy aspect of life and humanity. We are able to appreciate the highs in life with a better perspective.

When we are young be believe we are invincible. We feel in control and unstoppable. We feel that the highs will last forever, and we get a little reckless and careless. Bad habits that our bodies and minds tolerated in our 20s become creeping death in our 30s and 40s. Some choose to live in denial about their choices. It's a selfish and destructive coping mechanism.

The challenges we face can be a purifying fire. Each of us is refined with each passing day, even the worst of us. It might not make us a better person, but we learn that things run smoothly only for so long. We can either choose to be proactive, and try to prolong this process, or just let things fall apart when they do and just say oh well, such is life.

How we respond to challenges in life is very important. A culture as a whole is made up of new life and youth learning new lessons, and death, which takes away valued wisdom and lessons. We are part of this ebb and flow, and the day we realize that small things do impact people in big ways is the day we add something to this culture and become a life giver.

I certainly am not perfect in my pursuit to be a life giver, but I try to be aware and filter myself better each day.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-12-2011 at 12:04 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

I feel ya, GT-R. I avoided the coverage because it's too much like reliving it and I won't do that to myself.

The saddest reality to me is that the terrorists won in some deeply fundamental ways. They aimed to disrupt our way of life and, in many ways, they did just that.

They completely changed the way we live and operate on a daily basis. Traveling (especially flying) now feels like being in prison. Electronic signs on the roads in MD say "Watch for Suspicious Activity." They are positioned about every 20 miles. Large cement barriers now line the sidewalks of post offices and all government buildings in MD and DC. Our politicians used the attacks as a wedge issue and took us into a different war because they wanted to do so. Some politicians used the opportunity to paint themselves as heroes when they did nothing at all. They took our collective outrage and amplified fear and abused it.

Simply put, 9/11 brought out the best in us for a short time, but has brought out the worst in us long term.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #13
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

I'm a native New Yorker. I grew up in a small town 1hr. north of NYC.
That morning was the first time in 21months I had a chance to sleep past 5 a.m.
When I woke up my kitchen radio was on The Howard Stern Show. I thought Howard was doing his rendition of "War of the Worlds" NOT!

I couldn't believe what was happening. I called my training partner who was NYPD ERT at the time. He had just fallen asleep from working all night. He made me promise to look after his boy and he headed back to the city.

I called around trying to figure where friends and family were. I was relieved to find out one of my buddies who worked in the towers had missed his train that morning and was 1hr. late to work. Another buddy stopped to make a phone call and saw the first plane go through his office window.

My fight coach called me to ask for my assistance. The schools were dropping kids (who parents worked in the towers) off at the martial arts school. I armed myself to the teeth, gathered my survival supplies, ammo, my pits and headed to the school.
By 2:00 we were pretty sure that at least 61 of our kids were orphans. By that evening there were over 100 kids sleeping on the school floor.

The next day I knew how many friends and clients I was never going to see again.

By the end of the year the economy in my area was non-existent and I was flat broke.

I will end here before my EXTREME HATE for all deity belief spills out!

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote