Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:58 AM   #1
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts
Default What's in your gym bag?

Thought this might be quite a fun thread if people get involved. So, as the title says, what's in your gym bag? What necessities do you take with you when you play the iron game and get ready to tear it up?

As I created the thread I should participate, so here's a list of things currently occupying my bag that I take to the gym every day (well, it was until a homemade protein shake leaked and ruined my bag, now I'm using a crappy rucksack until I can be bothered to replace it):
  • Notebook & pen - self-explanatory, used for keeping track of lifts, sets and reps
  • Caffeine pills - 200mg pills I take before training although I'm looking for a new pre-workout stimulant as I'm becoming pretty caffeine tolerant
  • Lifting belt - same size all the way round, like a boss
  • Deodorant - yup
  • Knee wraps - used these once, ouch is all I'm going to say
  • Bench press slingshot - to help overload the bench and allow me to lift more than I can raw
  • Wrist straps - to protect my wrists
  • Leotard - usually not in there, but I wear it when going for BIG lifts to simulate a comp/judge depth
  • Empty bottle - for water n stuff
  • Smelling salts - for big lifts, only really use it for comps
  • Chalk and chalk box - like cocaine
  • Bottle of talc - again, only really used in comps for the deadlift to lubricate (so to speak...) the legs
  • Protein shakes - I usually have a couple of protein shakes in there for/from before and after training.
  • BCAAs - orange flavour so I can drink them throughout my workout, not sure if they've made a massive difference, but with my sometimes mega workouts it certainly can't hurt
So yeah, what does everyone keep in their gym bag?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:21 AM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I have a BIG kit bag that I take to the gym, mostly because I can't be bothered to unpack and repack every time. In the bag I have:

- Caffeine tab's for pre-training boost
- Deep heat because I'm old and feel it
- iPod in case I have to train alone
- Loose change to buy food supplies
- Protein shaker
- Xtend
- Logbook and pen: ESSENTIAL to make sure that I track my exercises in rotation and make sure I beat the last PB
- Squat shoes used for all squats and flat bench
- Converse for deadlifting
- Regular flat soled trainers (Puma Dallas, blue, thanks for asking) for everything else
- 13mm, single prong lifting belt for lifting heavy things
- Drawstring bag containing wrists wraps (various pairs from old to new, short and thin to long and thick), lifting straps, baby powder (meet only) and fat gripz
- Canvass bag containing bands (reds, blues and greens) and masking tape to mark lines on the floor if my feet are getting out of line
- Chalk box also containing smelling salts
- Lifting suit (leotard) for judging depth on heavy squats and for pulling big and avoiding having my hands catch on my thighs
- Long socks for deadlifting
- Beanies because I am bald and like to train in a hat in winter

I think that's it. I also have bench press boards in the boot of my car

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Wow, you guys go hard with this gym bag stuff. I've got a set of straps, that never really get used, and a bag of chalk. All a man really needs.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
Aurik
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

Pair of Rogue Do-Wins
Pair of Chuck Taylors
Towel
Change of clothes
Bottle of Scivation XTend for sipping between sets
Bottle of ice water + ziplock bag of protein powder for after workout
Knee wraps
Wrist wraps
Sheet of shelf liner
Ziplock bag of chalk
Large ab strap
Fat Gripz
Couple of stretch bands
13mm double prong belt for lifting heavy stuff
Sometimes a swimsuit
Lifting Straps
Notebook & pen
Valentin Konstantin Platz
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-R View Post
Wow, you guys go hard with this gym bag stuff. I've got a set of straps, that never really get used, and a bag of chalk. All a man really needs.
Don't lie I bet you've got a cheeky skateboard in there as well

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
Hazzard
Max Brawn

Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

I usually throw some food in my bag as well as I sometimes get peckish during a massive session!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Don't lie I bet you've got a cheeky skateboard in there as well

LtL
You caught me... I fit my 4 foot longboard in my drawstring bag. Lol, no but I use my gym bag to retrieve the bagels when I go out to get breakfast on my 4 mile longboard journey on the weekends.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #8
Hazzard
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-R View Post
You caught me... I fit my 4 foot longboard in my drawstring bag. Lol, no but I use my gym bag to retrieve the bagels when I go out to get breakfast on my 4 mile longboard journey on the weekends.
Is it like Hermione's bag in Harry Potter?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #9
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

I train at home so most of my stuff is in my training room with my buddies which never shut-up when I am training (I have two of these):

I bring the nylon adjustable shoulder strap from my lap top bag, and use it to do Weighted Pull-ups and Weighted Elevated Push-ups.

My workout progression log: Which also contains, previous workouts, dietary parameters, work out calender, etc

Also bought another weight stacker a few months ago: (now I have two, I got tired of the plates laying around the Squat rack/Bench set, lol)

Before work out, I usually drink a several cups of coffee, a Protein/carb drink, and several glasses of water. And before commencement, I bring about 4 large glasses of water. I take no supplements other than Whey/Casien Powder, Fish oil, flax oil, and fiber-powder.

And, the most important thing, is I bring my sons Quentin (22, and 235 pounds, and Dustin (26, and 240ish pounds) with me to the gym on a regular basis, to work out with the old man.

Nothing special. Pretty basic and simple, and served extremely well.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 09-07-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #10
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
Is it like Hermione's bag in Harry Potter?
Something like that. I tried pulling out a GSX-R 1000 but nothing came out other then a bag of chalk. Needless to say, I was a little disappointed.