Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!
Default Bruteforce's Computer Corner

Thought I would make a thread to post my observations on computers, computer security, my unfounded fear of cat5 ethernet cable, and anything else tech related rather than spreading it far and wide.

Today's Topic: Security - Why you should have at least two accounts for your PC.

It occurs to me that a lot of people only have one real account for their computer, be it Mac, Windows, or even Linux. This account is a heavy duty, administrative account. This is bad. Here's why.

If you have only one account, you open yourself up to MUCH more in the way of malware. If youíre surfing the web with your admin account, any malicious software you end up with on your PC has your account permissions. Not a big deal if itís a low level account with no permissions, but if youíre an admin, the malware now has free reign over your system, anti-virus software not withstanding.

Consider using your admin account ONLY when you need to install software or change system settings and using a locked down account for browsing and other activities. This can greatly reduce your headaches.
bruteforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
T-Bone
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn
Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
T-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machine

A very good idea. Our computers at work are set up like that.

"There's nothing wrong with being a large mammal." - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison - The Doors (1991)

Sergey Krastio Trelawny
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Thanks for the tip. I will now be creating a second account.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Very welcome. Glad I could be helpful Also, everyone feel free to post their own tips or questions here. I may not know the answer, but less time fighting with the computer means more time in the gym and the kitchen
Old 08-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

OK bruteforce. I'm have Windows XP Home. I am constantly getting notifications that my virtual memory is too low. Certain programs like Microsoft Works won't open (I know Works is antiquated, but I have a lot of word processing files saved that I can't access anymore). It seems that there is always alot of stuff running in the background (the "think light" is on or blinking and there is some quiet mechanical chatter). Is there a way to see what nonesential programs are running and shut them down?

big valsalva thanks you in advance.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
OK bruteforce. I'm have Windows XP Home. I am constantly getting notifications that my virtual memory is too low. Certain programs like Microsoft Works won't open (I know Works is antiquated, but I have a lot of word processing files saved that I can't access anymore). It seems that there is always alot of stuff running in the background (the "think light" is on or blinking and there is some quiet mechanical chatter). Is there a way to see what nonesential programs are running and shut them down?

big valsalva thanks you in advance.

Like with any computer problem, we have to deal with some basics. Give all the information you can on all the hardware you have installed in your computer that you are able to provide (such as Motherboard, RAM INSTALLED, Video card, etc, etc, or if a propriety box, the manufacturer and model number, which will provide these details).

How much ram is installed?

How much disk space is left on your primary Windows partition? (Double click my Computer, and it should lift your disks, and space left/used)

Processes running: Right Click the task bar, and select task manager. In the menu tabs, select processes, these are the list of the current running processes. And if you highlight it, you can link it to the program responsible for running it.

Installed programs are another important element as well as start-up (when booting) programs.

How to tell which programs are starting at boot, and taking up ram space or process time/write: Type in MSCONFIG at the run command. Select start-up, and deselect the ones you do not want to start-up.

How to tell how your swap file is set up in windows: Right click My Computer, then select advanced, settings, then advanced (again), then under virtual memory, select change, and tell me what you see there.

Peace

Chillen

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 08-07-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Not a whole lot to add. Was travelling all day yesterday.

Memory (Ram) will tell us a lot. You also want a swap space at least the size of your ram.

When is the last time you rebooted the PC? If its been a long time, this may help on windows.

If your hard drive is completely full, this can be the cause of virtual memory problems. Even with 500MB left, if could be so fragmented that there isnt enough space to swap programs out of memory onto the disk. If this is the case, find any non-essential files and delete them, or better yet, back them up onto an external device and then delete them, this way you have a backup incase you need it.

The constant running sounds like an issue where there isn't enough memory to handle the files that are open, and the processor spends all of its time switching between processes and loading them rather than running them. Depending on that amount of RAM you have, you might be able to add another stick for super cheap and fix the issue.

the MSCONFIG suggestion is a good one, if a lot of programs are starting at boot time, they can take over the whole system and prevent anything from running.

If you get a chance to post up the RAM, disk usage, and processor you are using, we should be able to get this fixed for you.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

I have only 1 piece of advice.
Get a Mac.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

^Not a bad idea if you just want to have a computer to use. I would suggest locking down some aspects of the mac as apple takes a rather soft stance on many security aspects. Not a definitive list, but a couple things to do.

1. Lock down the bios and single user mode. Never a good thing when someone can boot into the admin user in a few seconds by holding down a key.

2. Disable ssh servers and other non-essential servers, this will reduce the possibility of a remote attack.

Mac's security is ok, and no worse certainly than windows. I really enjoy my mac laptop, and have never had an issue with it. Fewer viruses/malware are written for mac, so its safer in that aspect as well.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Save time with shell scripting.

If you find yourself having to perform the same task over and over, consider writing a script to do it for you. This may not work for every task, but if you frequently need to do things like rename pictures or retag your mp3s, figure out how to do it on the command line and then write a script that will loop through all your directories and files to do the job for you. MP3 retagging example follows. ( I know it isnt bullet proof, but to does what I need it to)

Code:
#! /bin/bash
#bruteforce
#this script traverses given directories and updates tags of amy mp3 file it finds 
#tags updated are track number, name, artist, and album title
function taggit {
#track number
    #   echo $1
       track_number=`echo ${1%%_*}`
       id3tag -2 --track="$track_number" "$1"
#track name
       temp_name=`echo ${1#*_}`
       temp_name=`echo ${temp_name%.*}`
       track_name=`echo $(echo "$temp_name"|sed s/_/" "/g)`

id3tag -2 --song="$track_name" "$1"
#getting artist