Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Tray...any recommendations for programs that can control your tray.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Tray...any recommendations for programs that can control your tray.
You mean the system tray at the bottom right of the screen? I talked with my crew here in the office and the only thing we know of off hand if right clicking the individual icons and disabling them on from starting at startup and displaying. I'll do some more searching and let you know if find anything.
bruteforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
You mean the system tray at the bottom right of the screen? I talked with my crew here in the office and the only thing we know of off hand if right clicking the individual icons and disabling them on from starting at startup and displaying. I'll do some more searching and let you know if find anything.
I guess I mean system processes so they down start up at boot, or disabling some that I never use.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I guess I mean system processes so they down start up at boot, or disabling some that I never use.
Cool, thats a little easier. On Windows, go into your start menu, click run, then type MSCONFIG and hit enter.

From there, you should be able to click on startup, and deselect any programs you dont want to start, then do the same with the services tab.

To add a program, on your start menu go to all programs, right click startup, and click explore. Then add a shortcut to the program you want to start at boot time.

In Linux/Unix, you can edit the rc.d files and add/delete symlinks for programs you want to change. If anyone wants more details on this, let me know and I can go more into depth.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #15
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

this thread lost me at cat5

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #16
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Ha, cat5 and I don't get along. I really need to run my cables better near my desk, I trip over the darned things constantly.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Cool, thats a little easier. On Windows, go into your start menu, click run, then type MSCONFIG and hit enter.

From there, you should be able to click on startup, and deselect any programs you dont want to start, then do the same with the services tab.

To add a program, on your start menu go to all programs, right click startup, and click explore. Then add a shortcut to the program you want to start at boot time.

In Linux/Unix, you can edit the rc.d files and add/delete symlinks for programs you want to change. If anyone wants more details on this, let me know and I can go more into depth.
Thanks bubba.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #18
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Monday night I got back home late from a business trip to California and experienced something no computer owner ever wants to. One of my hard drives on the family desktop machine had crashed. The big one, the one with all the movies, pictures, and backups. Here's what I did to fix the situation.

First, I backed up everything on the other drives to a 2 TB external I have, in case there was an issue with the motherboard or somewhere else in the machine. Then I turned off the machine and pulled out the failed disk and turned it over gently, listening for rattling. No noise meant that most likely the head hadn't crashed and torn up the disk, so no harm in trying to get it running again.

I plugged the drive back in, started up the machine, and voila, the drive shows up. Got an error message that I had no permissions on it, so
Right Click drive -> properties -> security -> grant my user full permissions
Drive is now working, for now at least.

Back up contents of drive to external HD.

Problem solved.

Now, I'm still running the HDD, but will not be putting anything special on it. I'm in the middle of building a new system and will put the old one to rest soon, maybe keep it going as a file server and buy a few new HDDs for it.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #19
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

When sourcing parts for a new PC, check the motherboard and RAM for their speeds. Nearly bought RAM that runs at 1600 with a MoBo that only runs at 1333 and 2200. Ram could run at 1333 no issue, but at least this way I am aware of it.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #20
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Quick one today.

Be sure to clean the vents on your PC regularly. Dust can clog them and restrict air flow, causing the system to overheat. This can greatly reduce the life of your components.