Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Spiderman Dead (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6959)

BendtheBar 08-02-2011 09:17 PM

Spiderman Dead

New ‘Spider-Man’ Swinging Into Comic Book Shops Following Death Of Peter Parker CBS New York

Quote:

Miles Morales is a half-black, half-Hispanic super-powered teen who gets into the hero game after being inspired by Parker’s death.

“He’s younger than Peter Parker, he’s coming from a completely different background, a completely different world view,” writer Brian Michael Bendis told the Associated Press. Bendis, who has been writing Ultimate Spider-Man (and many other) comics for Marvel since 2000, is enthusiastic about the change. “I’m now sitting with a pile of legitimately new Spider-Man stories to tell and that is the best news a writer could have.”
Might be gay...

Marvel Comics reveal new Spider Man is black and could be gay in the future | Mail Online

Quote:

But another surprise could be in the pipeline after his creators said that in the future they would not rule out making him gay.

Read more: Marvel Comics reveal new Spider Man is black and could be gay in the future | Mail Online

Off Road 08-02-2011 11:03 PM

WTF are they thinking? Why kill Spidey? He was my favborite growing up as a kid. I'm pissed now!!!

BendtheBar 08-02-2011 11:15 PM

Spiderman was my favorite growing up. I could see starting a spin off with a new character, but this is a bit bizarre.

Race and sexual orientation aside, Spiderman is Peter Parker.

MC 08-03-2011 07:36 AM

The Marvel Ultimate Universe was created in order for them to tell stories that can't tell in the main universe- to reinvent some things with greater liberty. There seems to be this new wave of multi-cultural super heroes that they are pushing. DC will have more "color" in its reboot in September. They will have the Asian Ryan Choi be the Atom, for example, instead of Ray Parker.

As far as him being gay, I think (like ethnicity) comics have always done a good job of being places where kids find comfort and escape and part of that is seeing people like themselves. I remember the power of the New Teen Titans in the 80s, especially their stories about runaways, teen prostitution, and teen drug abuse.

There are several out and proud gay X-men running around currently. Off the top of my head I can think of Northstar (revealed a few years ago that he had a crush in IceMan) and is married to an African American, Karma who has been shown in bed with other women, Rictor, Shatterstar, Destiny, Mystique (always was implied that she and Destiny were lovers --technically bisexual), Daken (Wolverine's son, also bisexual), Anole, and more. Plus, the X-Men moved to San Fran, so it only made sense.

MikeC 08-03-2011 09:16 AM

I didn't know what the Ultimate part meant.

BendtheBar 08-03-2011 09:16 AM

I didn't either to be honest.

MC 08-03-2011 10:05 AM

Yeah. For example, the Ultimate Universe concept of the Avengers is called The Ultimates.
BTB's ban hammer picture of Thor is actually Utlimate Thor.

Nick Fury as an African American is an ultimate universe concept that they decided to use in the Marvel movies, by casting Sam Jackson in the role.

I don't read many of the ultimate titles, but I keep up with general trends via a few fan boy websites.

BendtheBar 08-03-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *MC* (Post 158360)

I don't read many of the ultimate titles, but I keep up with general trends via a few fan boy websites.

I've been out of touch with things like this. When I got back into collecting, I mainly went after pre-1990 comics.

5kgLifter 08-03-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 158250)
Spiderman was my favorite growing up. I could see starting a spin off with a new character, but this is a bit bizarre.

Race and sexual orientation aside, Spiderman is Peter Parker.

Yep, Peter Parker IS Spiderman...he's just Parker's alter ego, so what are they up to? :confused:

MC 08-04-2011 07:33 AM

There has been a TON of backlash about this decision. Lots of really ugly and, frankly, racist postings on fanboy message boards.

The entire point of the Ultimate Universe was to imagine what could happen if these characters were created today and could be explored with some modern themes and sensibilties.

Here is an article about the backlash:

Newsarama.com : Hey, That's My Cape! – Superheroes, Race, Change, & Hate

This all comes on the heels of Laurence Fishbourne being cast as Perry White in the new Superman movie.

Excerpt from the article:
Quote:

For instance, over at The Beat, Heidi MacDonald posted the Spider-Man news and received an influx of racist and ignorant comments. Many were so bad she had to delete them and close off comments. Here’s one that remains:

“Political correctness run amok. Kill off whitey. Replace with multiculti. As a white person who has read and loved Spiderman my whole life, I am out. Will no longer buy Spiderman or Marvel. They could easily have created a new black/hispanic hero if they wanted to but this guy [Editor in chief Axel] Alonso changing a cultural con is a FU to white Americans. This is a FU moment to white people.”
I is sadface.