Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor
Default When do you become a powerlifter/bodybuilder/strongman?

Hey MAB!

I have been thinking about this for a while, so I wondered what you all think? At what point can you call yourself a powerlifter/bodybuilder/strongman? When have your first comp or reach a certain level? When you start training hard? When you have it as a goal?

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

IMO you are what you do. If you train for PL, you're a powerlifter. I don't think you need to compete to validate that.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
Hey MAB!

I have been thinking about this for a while, so I wondered what you all think? At what point can you call yourself a powerlifter/bodybuilder/strongman? When have your first comp or reach a certain level? When you start training hard? When you have it as a goal?
Bodybuilder - Much earlier than most people suspect. At your average local shows many competitors compete in the 150-160s, with the best usually in the 170s. If you have any noticeable degree of muscularity and have built it from training and proper diet you can pretty much compete or call yourself a bodybuilder.

Basically anyone who "gets it" is a recreational bodybuilder.

Powerlifting - Whenever you want. You will get supported no matter where you are at. For meets...I would say you must at least have a minimal understanding of good form so you don't bomb and waste your own time. Other than that, my opinion is have at it.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-02-2011 at 08:21 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
Aurik
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

What Al said.

IMO the fundamental difference between bodybuilder/powerlifter/strongman is the training. Case in point: I'll go into the gym and someone will ask me what I'm working today, and I'll say "Bench". They go, "Oh, chest", and I'm thinking "No, BENCH".

A bodybuilder generally thinks of training in terms of body parts. Arms, legs, chest, back, shoulders, etc. A powerlifter thinks of training in terms of "What will get me stronger on the bench, squat, and deadlift." A bodybuilder will do some bench and/or incline bench, and then think of where their arms or chest are lacking in size, and then perform accessory work to hit those muscles. A powerlifter will do his bench press (or similar movement), and then pick accessory work to hit his/her weaknesses.

Now a professional bodybuilder will be stronger than 99% of the guys in the gym, and a professional powerlifter will be more muscular and bigger than 99% of the guys in the gym, but their overall goals are different.

Again, the difference between the three is all in attitude and training. If you decide to compete that's another thing entirely.
Valentin Konstantin Platz
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40

Training Exp: 4 years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Thanks guys! Very interesting posts.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Agree with what both BTB and LtL said. This hit a chord with me as well:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurik View Post

A bodybuilder generally thinks of training in terms of body parts. Arms, legs, chest, back, shoulders, etc. A powerlifter thinks of training in terms of "What will get me stronger on the bench, squat, and deadlift." A bodybuilder will do some bench and/or incline bench, and then think of where their arms or chest are lacking in size, and then perform accessory work to hit those muscles. A powerlifter will do his bench press (or similar movement), and then pick accessory work to hit his/her weaknesses.

Took me a while to understand that I was training for aesthetics. I like being stronger, but if I have to choose between a 315 bench press and a bigger, better looking chest with lighter DBs, I'm picking number 2.

Aurik really hit the nail in the head. I have been thinking, "What will get my legs looking better?" not, "I can't wait to have a 300 pound squat." Now, I fully understand that the quest for a 300 pound squat can and will make my legs look better, but hitting that number is not my primary goal.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
BigFiveFive
White Mamba
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows
Fav Supp: AMS Pump Fixx
BigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributor

I'm going to have to go with after you officially compete. Had a lot of older guys and professional bodybuilders say the same thing after my first competition, "Now you can officially call yourself a bodybuilder!"

Same with PL, go compete, grow from there.

Get your Fixx at the Muscle and Strength store!
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/sto...e-science.html

Or our online store!
www.advancedmusclescience.com

Don't talk about it, Be about it
!

TEAM THOR!
BigFiveFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The difference will always be the primary end goal.

I have always wanted big legs and a big squat. I never mentally saw them as separate concepts or goals. It wasn't until 2007 when I started poking around on lifting sites that I learned that some lifters wanted big muscles without big lifts. (No disrespect meant)

I was always a powerbuilder in heart, mind and soul. I wanted to be big and strong and never had intentions of competing.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

My trouble is I have still yet to decide which i prefer... I want big lift totals and I want to look big and well built... I nver know which way to trin to be honest. I wont stop trying to lift heavy, but I also want to lift to look good. The only lift Im not concerned about having a good total on is bench press, but i would love a good looking chest. That being said I wouldnt sacrifice size fore a higher toatl on the big lifts (except perhaps a 200kg deadlift....)

Suppose Im a powerbuilder.

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
Suppose Im a powerbuilder.
Most days I don't know what I am Carl. Mostly I'm just a dad.

I figure sooner or later I will try a few things to knock them off the bucket list.