Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Girls Sweep Science Fair

Girls Sweep Science Fair

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/sc...ogle.html?_r=1

Quote:
“Personally I think that’s amazing, because throughout my entire life, I’ve heard science is a field where men go into,” Ms. Bose said. “It just starts to show you that women are stepping up in science, and I’m excited that I was able to represent maybe just a little bit of that.” She will start her senior year of high school in the fall.

“At the end, we were like, ‘Yeah, girl power!’ ” said Naomi Shah of Portland, Ore., who won the age 15-16 category with a study of the effects of air quality on lungs, particularly for people who have asthma. Ms. Shah recruited 103 test subjects, performed 24-hour air quality measurements at their homes and workplaces and had each blow into a device that measured the force of their breath.

Lauren Hodge of Dallastown, Pa., won the age 13-14 category for research on whether marinades reduce the amount of cancer-causing compounds produced by the grilling of meat. She found that lemon juice and brown sugar cut the level of carcinogens sharply, while soy sauce increased them.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Boys too busy trying to get abzors...

Old 07-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Yeah I wish more girls got into Sci and Tech. I went to a Tech school for undergrad and masters. Things didnt change during PhD either, being stuck up in and Engg department.

Extremely skewed sex ratio. Horrible
kitarpyar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I attended a college that was focused on science - New Mexico Tech. The specialties were Petroleum Engineering, Astrophysics, Math, etc. Of the 900 (or so) students on campus, I believe only 8% of them were female. Of these women, 75% of them were from the Middle East and studying Petroleum Engineering.

We had under 10 American born women at the university.

Baffles me, because both my girls love science.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I attended a college that was focused on science - New Mexico Tech. The specialties were Petroleum Engineering, Astrophysics, Math, etc. Of the 900 (or so) students on campus, I believe only 8% of them were female. Of these women, 75% of them were from the Middle East and studying Petroleum Engineering.

We had under 10 American born women at the university.

Baffles me, because both my girls love science.
When I was in senior school, in my last year, there were 3 females (including me) that had elected to take Physics...2 opted out after a few days because of so few females in the class...I stayed the course because I wanted to do Physics. To a degree, the amount of males in the class can put some females off taking the subject which is a tad weird if they really want to study the subject...I guess, I'm fortunate in that, to some degree, I don't care and just do what I want to do...separates the gals from the Gals
Old 07-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
To a degree, the amount of males in the class can put some females off taking the subject which is a tad weird if they really want to study the subject...
Interesting point, and I can see why.

One female with 15 males is like being a piece of food in a shark tank. The few women on our campus were constantly being swarmed. I don't know how they put up with it.