Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Boy sells kidney to buy iPad

Boy sells kidney to buy iPad

Boy sells kidney to buy iPad, now regrets decision as his health wanes

Quote:
A recent report from China's Global Times explains that a 17-year-old boy from China's Anhui Province sold one of his kidneys for the equivalent of roughly $3,000 in order to buy the latest Apple iPad 2 tablet computer.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I donated one of my kidney's to my wife's mother over a year ago (single incision method); I wanted to share my good health with another, so another could live (she was going to pass if it wasn't done, as I was a match). I am rocken out just fine. But this........

is stupid.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post
I donated one of my kidney's to my wife's mother over a year ago (single incision method); I wanted to share my good health with another, so another could live
That is Awesomeness!
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post
I donated one of my kidney's to my wife's mother over a year ago (single incision method); I wanted to share my good health with another, so another could live (she was going to pass if it wasn't done, as I was a match). I am rocken out just fine. But this........

is stupid.

That's awesome of you bro. Mad respect.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shadow View Post
That's awesome of you bro. Mad respect.
I live among the unhealthy (Brother: pancreas cancer (36), Brother: Born without two lower back vertebrae (40), Sister: Extremely over weight and bad knees (56), Sister Mildly retarded from fever when young (54), Wife: Fiber dysplacia, factor V Liden, Lupos, several surgeries, and many other issues (50), Mother-in-law: diabetes (from surgery complications), intolerance to gluten (a protein in wheat products, kidney failure (78).

I am the only one healthy and no physical ailments (though I had a mild scare with the prostate, which turned negative). My wife with all of her physical and medical problems is the strongest person I know. She always puts herself last and the family first, never complains but is always in pain; her endurance outclasses many with less physical and mental problems.

If I can give her a few more years with her mother to make amends in their relationship, then all of my time in the gym trying to keep physically fit and eating right is worth all the effort, when I can pass on some of the health to another. Don't post this much, because I am not looking for notoriety. My wife gives so much, and I gave so little in comparison.

All of our squabbles/different opinions on physiques, dieting, and method of training is nil in the end......

Most people would give nearly anything to maintain their health. In the end this is all we have. And, this is the reason I train more then one way and watch what I eat. Though I can not control genetics (family history), I only focus on "what" I can control.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 07-15-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I think I would sell a kidney to pay off my debt or save a life, but that's my limit.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
Aurik
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen someone do. The ONLY reason I would donate a kidney would be to save the life of a close relative. My health is far too valuable to waste on something fleeting like that.
Valentin Konstantin Platz
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurik View Post
That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen someone do. The ONLY reason I would donate a kidney would be to save the life of a close relative. My health is far too valuable to waste on something fleeting like that.
Agree, same here!

Hubby is on one kidney and not his own at that, so if he has issues, I would step in but I may not even be compatible but for others, I'd have to really consider it very hard as then the donater is left with one and has to hope they don't end up regretting the decision by giving it to someone that just throws it away, as some do...BUT as for the kid and the iPad, geez...is life really that lame now that people can't live without the latest gadgets and fads...that's society??
Old 07-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

There's a show on netflix, under documentaries, about black market organs. It was a rather interesting show. Apparently its rather common for Americans to fly out to China to get organ transplants due to extensive cost and waiting lists here in the US.

One story they had an Indian woman who had sold her kidney to support her family. The "dealers" promised her 3-6K and only gave her $1000-1500. Several years after, her son developed kidney failure...
Old 07-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

That's unfortunate. Its good they have you to fall back on for support.