Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Boy sells kidney to buy iPad (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6799)

BendtheBar 07-15-2011 08:44 AM

Boy sells kidney to buy iPad

Boy sells kidney to buy iPad

Boy sells kidney to buy iPad, now regrets decision as his health wanes

Quote:

A recent report from China's Global Times explains that a 17-year-old boy from China's Anhui Province sold one of his kidneys for the equivalent of roughly $3,000 in order to buy the latest Apple iPad 2 tablet computer.

Chillen 07-15-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 152947)

I donated one of my kidney's to my wife's mother over a year ago (single incision method); I wanted to share my good health with another, so another could live (she was going to pass if it wasn't done, as I was a match). I am rocken out just fine. But this........

is stupid.

Off Road 07-15-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillen (Post 152950)
I donated one of my kidney's to my wife's mother over a year ago (single incision method); I wanted to share my good health with another, so another could live

That is Awesomeness!

BendtheBar 07-15-2011 09:46 AM

I think I would sell a kidney to pay off my debt or save a life, but that's my limit.

Aurik 07-15-2011 10:13 AM

That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen someone do. The ONLY reason I would donate a kidney would be to save the life of a close relative. My health is far too valuable to waste on something fleeting like that.

Shadowschmadow 07-15-2011 10:17 AM

There's a show on netflix, under documentaries, about black market organs. It was a rather interesting show. Apparently its rather common for Americans to fly out to China to get organ transplants due to extensive cost and waiting lists here in the US.

One story they had an Indian woman who had sold her kidney to support her family. The "dealers" promised her 3-6K and only gave her $1000-1500. Several years after, her son developed kidney failure...

Shadowschmadow 07-15-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillen (Post 152950)
I donated one of my kidney's to my wife's mother over a year ago (single incision method); I wanted to share my good health with another, so another could live (she was going to pass if it wasn't done, as I was a match). I am rocken out just fine. But this........

is stupid.

That's awesome of you bro. Mad respect.

Chillen 07-15-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Shadow (Post 152982)
That's awesome of you bro. Mad respect.

I live among the unhealthy (Brother: pancreas cancer (36), Brother: Born without two lower back vertebrae (40), Sister: Extremely over weight and bad knees (56), Sister Mildly retarded from fever when young (54), Wife: Fiber dysplacia, factor V Liden, Lupos, several surgeries, and many other issues (50), Mother-in-law: diabetes (from surgery complications), intolerance to gluten (a protein in wheat products, kidney failure (78).

I am the only one healthy and no physical ailments (though I had a mild scare with the prostate, which turned negative). My wife with all of her physical and medical problems is the strongest person I know. She always puts herself last and the family first, never complains but is always in pain; her endurance outclasses many with less physical and mental problems.

If I can give her a few more years with her mother to make amends in their relationship, then all of my time in the gym trying to keep physically fit and eating right is worth all the effort, when I can pass on some of the health to another. Don't post this much, because I am not looking for notoriety. My wife gives so much, and I gave so little in comparison.

All of our squabbles/different opinions on physiques, dieting, and method of training is nil in the end......

Most people would give nearly anything to maintain their health. In the end this is all we have. And, this is the reason I train more then one way and watch what I eat. Though I can not control genetics (family history), I only focus on "what" I can control.

Shadowschmadow 07-15-2011 02:49 PM

That's unfortunate. Its good they have you to fall back on for support.

5kgLifter 07-19-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurik (Post 152977)
That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen someone do. The ONLY reason I would donate a kidney would be to save the life of a close relative. My health is far too valuable to waste on something fleeting like that.

Agree, same here!

Hubby is on one kidney and not his own at that, so if he has issues, I would step in but I may not even be compatible :( but for others, I'd have to really consider it very hard as then the donater is left with one and has to hope they don't end up regretting the decision by giving it to someone that just throws it away, as some do...BUT as for the kid and the iPad, geez...is life really that lame now that people can't live without the latest gadgets and fads...that's society??