Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #21
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I wanted to comment of #2. I ALWAYS perform better the more people are around me. When I'm jogging, if I pass someone I always seem to find my second wind. Even as a golfer, when someone is letting me play through and they whatch me hit my drive, I ALWAYS seem to nail thr crap out of it straight down the middle. I also play my best rounds when I get paired with other groups, but only if they are as good as or better than me.

I find the same thing true in the gym. A few weeks back I went in on a Saturday, and there were lots of people. Combine that with the fact that my wife was being "cranky" and pissing me off, and I had one of the best squat workouts I've ever had. I just felt so pumped up because I knew people were watching. My mentality is "You think you're training? I'll show you what training is!." When I'm alone, I just can't get going.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #22
T-Bone
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn
Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
T-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machine
Default Role Reversal

No. 4 - I started going to my gym about 4 years ago. Even though I knew my way around a weight room, it took me a long time really feel like I belonged there. (It was just me, I'm sure. The gym is pretty friendly.) There were lots of big guys lifting, and while I did not feel intimidated by them, I didn't feel like I measured up.

I watch people in the gym sometimes, I watch what other guys are doing and how they do it. It's a great way to study form, both good and bad. Eventually, as I began lifting heavier and making physical gains, my confidence increased and I opened up an and have since made a number of friends.

I looked around a couple of weeks ago and realized I'm now one of the "old timers". Most of the guys in the gym today joined after I did and the previous "old timers" have moved on.

Now to the point, I'll quote Soldier above:

Quote:
I just felt so pumped up because I knew people were watching. My mentality is "You think you're training? I'll show you what training is!."
I also recently noticed that people are watching ME! Now, as I watch other guys lifting, I am way more critical of form and routine than before. I am doing things in the gym that others aren't doing. Deadlifts for example. There is only one other guy that I ever see doing them.

Makes me feel good and supercharged to be setting an example in the gym.

I know this post is fairly self-indulgent, and I apologize, but I find it coincidental that Soldier made his comments at the same time I was feeling it too.

I don't know guys, but I really feel like the tide is turning for me and my goals are closer than ever before. I'm excited and wanted to share it with everyone.

Jim

"There's nothing wrong with being a large mammal." - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison - The Doors (1991)

Sergey Krastio Trelawny
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #23
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

I don't know guys, but I really feel like the tide is turning for me and my goals are closer than ever before. I'm excited and wanted to share it with everyone.

Jim
It's a great feeling to know you're doing something well enough to the point where people want what you have. The next step in the process will be people coming up to you and asking you "what supplements you're taking."

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #24
T-Bone
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn

T-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
It's a great feeling to know you're doing something well enough to the point where people want what you have. The next step in the process will be people coming up to you and asking you "what supplements you're taking."
Wish there was fancy scientific name for Whey so I could dazzle them with doublespeak.

"There's nothing wrong with being a large mammal." - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison - The Doors (1991)

Sergey Krastio Trelawny
Old 09-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #25
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Wish there was fancy scientific name for Whey so I could dazzle them with doublespeak.
They will want to know "supplements", not supplements.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #26
T-Bone
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn

Default My Secret Weapon

It's been a while, but I've had these thoughts rolling around for a long time:

No. 5 - I don't have all the answers, but I have learned a lot about lifting/programming in the last three years by hanging out here and next door, so I believe I have a legitimate voice when I talk lifting with friends.

I consider this forum, this little corner of the internet, to be my secret weapon. With what I have learned here, I have gained both strength and brawn, patience and discipline, and don't freak out every time I fail or miss a rep.

I get frustrated when I hear guys complaining that nothing is working for them. They always say, "I guess I'll go back to my old routine." Or, "I found this routine in a magazine that's supposed to get me ripped, but it's not working..."

I want them to break out of their tired old magazine routines and focus on the basics. I ask them, "What are you doing? Are you squatting? Are you dead lift/bench/OHP-ing?"

"Oh, I can't squat or dead lift and OHP hurts too much."

I want to tear my hair out! I try to educate these guys, but they always have an excuse. I don't like leaving my friends floundering in blind, stubborn ignorance while I get bigger and stronger, but whaddya gonna do?

I know what I'm going to do. I'm going to keeping plugging away 4 days a week. I'm going to keep logging here and soaking in all the motivation and info I can. I'm going to keep setting goals just out of reach so I push myself harder. And I'm going to be that guy that the 50 year old pot-bellied wannabes look at and say, "I should have tried harder."

That ^^^ might sound arrogant, but honestly, I feel proud of my progress so far and feel I have an edge over the other guys.

So, keep sharing all the great information, stories, tips and videos so we can all take pride in ourselves.

EDIT: By the way, I realize everyone has their own goals, so please don't think I expect everyone to do as I do. But I think you understand what I'm talking about.

Sergey Krastio Trelawny

Last edited by T-Bone; 07-06-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #27
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Thanks for the great post TB.

Quote:
That ^^^ might sound arrogant, but honestly, I feel proud of my progress so far and feel I have an edge over the other guys.
You should feel proud. The secret mystery element that leads to success that most people miss is dedication and hard work. You've never been afraid to pick up a barbell, follow a program for months on end, and muck it out.

That is so refreshing for me to see, and it will never get old.

I love seeing people succeed. You have always been an inspiration to me, and that's no exaggeration. I absolutely love popping into a training log and seeing 2 things:

1) A person stuck to his program.
2) A person is making progress.

Not that changing programs is inherently bad, but it's so nice when you see someone find a program that is working for them, to the point where they ride it for a very long time.

You have always been no excuses. My hat off to you.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #28
MikeC
Uber Brawn
Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47

MikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributor

Really enjoyed reading this T-Bone.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote