Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #81
bikx43
New Brawn
Points: 172, Level: 3 Points: 172, Level: 3 Points: 172, Level: 3
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

bikx43 is off to a bad start

I honestly do not remember the last book I read. It has been a while ago. I just do not have the time to read. I wish I did.
bikx43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #82
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikx43 View Post
I honestly do not remember the last book I read. It has been a while ago. I just do not have the time to read. I wish I did.
I used to read a lot, and then for some years I virtually stopped. It took me a while to figure out that the internet had taken over So recently, I made a conscious decision to cut down on my internet usage and read real books for half an hour or an hour a day.

Only when I started again did I realise how much I'd missed reading.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #83
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100

Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I've just finished Bram Stoker's Dracula. I enjoyed it in patches. The construction, as a series of interlocking reports and diary entries, was clever and intriguing, but the constant justification of this device - "I must try to recall every detail of what has passed" - quickly became wearing.

I found too, that I was overfamiliar with the story. Having seen a gazillion adaptations, I knew what was coming, and this undercut the carefully ramped up tension. At 450 pages, I couldn't help feeling that it could have been trimmed by a good one hundred pages without damaging the central story and themes.

Except for a couple of places, the sexual subtext that I was expecting was almost absent. Maybe it was just too subtle for me to detect.

All in all, a necessary read, but probably not one I'll repeat.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #84
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
I've just finished Bram Stoker's Dracula. I enjoyed it in patches. The construction, as a series of interlocking reports and diary entries, was clever and intriguing, but the constant justification of this device - "I must try to recall every detail of what has passed" - quickly became wearing.

I found too, that I was overfamiliar with the story. Having seen a gazillion adaptations, I knew what was coming, and this undercut the carefully ramped up tension. At 450 pages, I couldn't help feeling that it could have been trimmed by a good one hundred pages without damaging the central story and themes.

Except for a couple of places, the sexual subtext that I was expecting was almost absent. Maybe it was just too subtle for me to detect.

All in all, a necessary read, but probably not one I'll repeat.
I was fortunate enough to have read it long before the vampire craze. I believe I might have even read it as a teen. It was a page turner back then though I do wonder how it would stand up now.

Been a long time since I have read Dracula or Frankenstein, but I have a feeling Frankenstein would hold up a bit better.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #85
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Been a long time since I have read Dracula or Frankenstein, but I have a feeling Frankenstein would hold up a bit better.
I've got Frankenstein ready to go. It looks rather more compact. But I might save that until after George and Wheedon Grossmith's Diary of a Nobody, which looks fun.

I've lost so many years of reading, I'm determined to make the most of those I have left.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #86
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Speaking of the Horror genre, there is a little known book that I have been waiting to read for quite some time and just may pull the trigger for 2012.

Montana Gothic Montana Gothic

A couple reviews...

Quote:
Since I first ran across this book more than 20 years ago, I've had a consuming desire to meet the author. I want to ask him what motivated this strange, unclassifiable work. It may be of more interest to someone who was raised in Montana, who can appreciate the dark side that Van Sickle captured in a uniquely eerie way, but even without a personal connection to the landscape of the book, it is an unforgettable read. I'm thrilled to see it back in print, and hope it gets more attention this time around.
Quote:
Overlooked Masterpiece

This twisted tale starts in the early 20th Century and its style is so appropriate that the ending comes as a real blow although expected and inevitable. The tale goes on from there, through the decades and inevitable is the keynote. This book should be taught in colleges as it is the perfect use of prose to wring our minds with truly profound horror. Not ghosts or goblins, but the real horror of mortality and fate. And yet we want to read it again, or talk about it -- like Poe, like Faulkner, it brings us into areas we hadn't considered, but which are surely there for all of us. I'll never forget this book, but it may not be for everyone. I read that the author died last year; what a tombstone to leave behind! Truly an overlooked masterpiece in our literature.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #87
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post

I've lost so many years of reading, I'm determined to make the most of those I have left.
I've hit a slump and need to get back into reading. I was on the road for a good portion of my adult life and spent the days reading anything and everything.

I miss exploring authors. There have been so many that have caught me off guard, and left me wanting to read more of their works. Though I will admit that I set aside about 4-5 books for everyone I finish.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #88
Chameleon
Brawn
Points: 1,673, Level: 23 Points: 1,673, Level: 23 Points: 1,673, Level: 23

Training Exp: 2yrs
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Apple Cider Vinegar
Chameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good start

Wow, MAB never fails to amaze me. Full of amazing information on weightlifting/powerlifting/bodybuilding/general fitness, basically all areas of health & fitness (even nutrition), & then I found a film thread! & not just a film thread, but people who are REALLY into the art of cinema. & now I find a book thread. What a fantastic board this is...

@Carl, I read Grisham's "The Firm" years ago & I couldn't put it down. You need to know what happens next. I haven't read anything else of his though, suggestions?

11/22/63 caught my eye too, very nearly purchased it 2 - 3 weeks back.

Anyway, up until the birth of my little girl in January this year, I read at least one book per month, sometimes two a month, but I've only read three this year

John Connolly - Bad Men
Miles The Autobiography - Miles Davis
Bird - The Legend Of Charlie Parker

Bad Men was a book I unexpectedly loved, Connolly has a style of focusing on very few characters throughout his books, yet there is no repetitive manner in his writing.
Miles was a hilarious book. Miles never held back about his life, he spills all, & trust me when I say this, his life was full on! You feel that there is a genuine quality to him, quality of honesty in what he says, & you feel sorry for him & every black individual at the time & what they had to endure. I'm going to read this again soon. Whether you're into Jazz or not, this is a spectacular read.
& Bird, well Bird is quite simply The King of jazz. Another guy with a full on & tragic life. Brilliant musician...

I am not sure what I will read next, Bill Bryson's "A Short History Of Nearly Everything" is on my shelf, as is "The Roswell File", I'm a space nut & love reading about UFO's & life outwith our own planet.

John Steinbeck's "East Of Eden" is on my shelf too though...
The Mayans never said that 2012 was the end of the world, they said it was the end of the world as we know it. Does this mean the sky will be green & the grass will be blue? Maybe the oceans will turn to beer & the oxygen into marijuana smoke. Or maybe the banking sector will get destroyed & money will therefore be useless, meaning that humans can live as creative individuals with the opportunity to express themselves freely. I truly hope so, as long as I can still play music & lift weights!

Last edited by Chameleon; 12-20-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Chameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #89
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboZaneWanabe View Post

John Connolly - Bad Men
Connolly is a new name to me. Seems to have several books @ 4 stars and above on Amazon. Might have to take a deeper look. His book Dark Hollow looks like a good place to start.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #90
Chameleon
Brawn
Points: 1,673, Level: 23 Points: 1,673, Level: 23 Points: 1,673, Level: 23

Training Exp: 2yrs
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Apple Cider Vinegar
Chameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Connolly is a new name to me. Seems to have several books @ 4 stars and above on Amazon. Might have to take a deeper look. His book Dark Hollow looks like a good place to start.
Kevin Costner's 2009 film "The New Daughter" is an adaption of a John Connolly short story of the same name. Your mouth & eyes will be wide open whilst watching it, it's not scary as such, but rather "jumpy". I jamp in my seat anyway. Well worth a watch that film Steve, fantasy & horror in one. Very few characters in the story, but your eyes are glued to the screen.

"Bad Men" apparently is under developement for a film called "Sanctuary".
The Mayans never said that 2012 was the end of the world, they said it was the end of the world as we know it. Does this mean the sky will be green & the grass will be blue? Maybe the oceans will turn to beer & the oxygen into marijuana smoke. Or maybe the banking sector will get destroyed & money will therefore be useless, meaning that humans can live as creative individuals with the opportunity to express themselves freely. I truly hope so, as long as I can still play music & lift weights!

Last edited by Chameleon; 12-20-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Chameleon is offline   Reply With Quote