Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #11
6footmidget
Brawn
Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Supp: everything in the fridge
6footmidget is new to the forum6footmidget is new to the forum6footmidget is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Oh and lastly if I've rowed your first rep' off you, don't then start lowering the bar for double Further through the set you are, stronger you will not get.
My friends at school will do this all the time with me literally having to do work for them the entire set. Made me laugh when i saw this
Old 08-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!
Default Bring the noise

During training sometimes we make some noise. Sometimes it's before a lift. Sometimes it's while you're getting ready to lift. Sometimes it's during. If you train in your own gym at home, this is not a problem. You can scream and yell to your heart's content and no one will hear or care. If you train in a commercial gym though, you may need to tone it down a bit. So what is an acceptable level of noise?

Please note that the following is just my opinion and while it hasn't got me kicked out of a gym yet, it may get you kicked out of yours so please don't blame me

The first question is when do you make noise? In my case I make noise at two points during my lift:

- Beforehand. This is to get me psyched up. Before I make a big attempt I am quite often scared. These are big weights and if I wasn't scared, they're probably not big enough. Positive self talk is important at this stage and the same applies to your spotters. When you're getting psyched up, you won't take in long phrases. What you need is short snappy commands and cues which help you remember your technique. If I'm squatting I want to hear things like, "knees out, back, get tight". Same applies for during the lift. I don't want to hear, "lockout or push" that means nothing.

As well as the positive self talk I also like to get primal. I will grunt and snort and breathe hard. This is all to get me as angry as possible because that is when I am the strongest. It might not work for you but try it, you might like it.

- During. I make very little noise during a lift. This is because I am holding my breath for most of it, however, the breath gets released as I hit a sticking point and I make an involuntary noise. This is more a function of the air being released rather than anything I do consciously but it does help.

Secondly, and probably more importantly, WHY make noise?

For me noise helps me do two things:

1. Get angry which covers up the fear and makes me stronger.
2. It's part of my pre-lift transformation.

What I mean by transformation is that when I go for a big lift, I make a conscious effort to change myself. Al is a nice guy. He's relaxed, he's been chatting with his training partners right the way up to the big working set. Once it gets to that time, Al is no longer there. I don't really know what I become but it's very much a product of all of the stress, anger and issues that I endure in my everyday life. The thing is that this transformation is only temporary. It can only last for a few minutes, enough to lift the biggest weights and then it's gone. I can get it back for another couple of sets but there's no way I could do it for a whole training session and neither can you.

I guess that's the point of this rant: sure you could get massively angry and pscyhed before your 3rd set of curls and you'd probably hit a PB but do you really wanna go green on that, or would you rather do it on a compound move and make a real difference?

I have more to say about the transformation and will try to write another rant about it soon.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I make a lot of noise then training. I am constantly talking to myself and yelling at myself. It's part of my method of focusing. I wouldn't say I expend a lot of wasted energy doing it, but it helps me stay in my zone.

I know we've all seen the haters on forums say that you don't need to yell, and that it's mostly braggadocio. It's not like that for me. Putting 450 pounds on my back is always an intimidating feat. It's scary and a rush at the same time. Same with benching, deadlifting and most incredibly taxing exercises.

I never think...today I must yell to stay focused.

I call myself pork chop, fat boy, and mock myself saying things like...that lift didn't count, you exploded the row.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
Aurik
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

I've been known to get pissed off and yell kiai-like at a sticking point on the bench.. especially when I start getting past that SOB of a sticking point. I'll grunt a bit here and there on heavy compounds but I've NEVER grunted when doing curls...
Valentin Konstantin Platz
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:43 AM   #15
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100

LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

The importance of training partners

I am on the clock writing this as mini LtL is probably going to wake up again soon ready for her second breakfast (we all have two breakfasts around here ) so I'll be brief.

If you have a great training partner, you will be stronger. That is a fact. I know you're all sceptical and so you should be
Quote:
A witty saying proves nothing.
(Voltaire). So here's my reasons:

1. Training partners keep you honest. If you miss a session, they'll know. If you miss a rep', they'll know. If you get lazy and half ass your assistance, they'll know. They'll also call you on it and slap you upside your head if they're a good training partner but more on that later.
2. Training partners help you complete your sessions. They help load the bar: save energy and they handle and spot for you: save you from killing yourself.
3. Training partners bring the element of competition into your training. If they're doing the same exercises and rep' schemes, you will naturally want to beat each other. This will push you all to become stronger.

So to summarise the reasons for having training partners are: honesty, consistency, efficiency and competition. Hopefully this is enough to convince you that I am right but now you're on my side, how do you go about choosing your training partners? Again I'm pushed for time so I'll be brief:

1. Choose people who are stronger than you. If you want to squat 6pps, find someone who can already do it and train with them. If you really want to get humbled, do what I did and find a guy who can do it at 75% of your bodyweight:

2. Test them. We've all experienced this: you meet someone who wants to train with you. They seem enthusiastic and ask for help with a programme, with diet, with technique or whatever so you oblige. You spend some of your valuable time giving them the information that they need at which point they disappear after about a week, not to be seen again. To avoid this give them a test. If they want diet advice, make them keep a food diary with macros and calories for a week. If they want technique advice, give them something small to work on and if they can correct that, give them a little more. Drip feed.

3. Once they've met criteria 1 and 2, it's time to open up. Now as a man I am not spectacularly emotionally open but I will take it on the chin for this. In order for your training partners to help you, they need to know what your goals are. Tell them what you're working towards, what your weak points are, where you're likely to fail a bench or what cues you need when you're squatting. The more they know and the more they realise how important they are in helping you achieve your goals, the more you will get out of them.

To finish I'd also like to remind everyone that this works both ways: you too need to be the best training partner you can be. Here's Brandon Lilly (top 308lb's multiply lifter) talking about the legendary Chuck Vogelpohl having recently moved to his gym to train:

Quote:
First and foremost training with the guys at Lexen humbled me. At Westside you kinda feel like you're on top of the world and people automatically know you at meets. At Lexen no one gives a shit about all that crap, and no one is better than the next guy, or more important. Chuck loads as many plates as anyone... I've really increased my conditioning cause we move so fast and because Chuck is in such great shape. I've also corrected some positioning issues in the dead lift that allow me to stay in line. My squat is coming along but I was tremendously weak on my hips so by learning to squat again, and use my hips more I've had to take some steps back as far as weights are concerned but it is all in the name of moving forward. We do so many different exercises its hard to explain, but I keep a log of what I'm doing here on Pro Power, and at Lexen Xtreme. I think I bring knowledge of the bench and the bench shirt that were lacking at Lexen. I also try to be the best training partner I can be and I hope the guys see me as a good addition.
Now that's a winning attitude.

LtL
Old 08-29-2011, 04:29 AM   #16
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Nice words buddy.

I have trained with a training partner and made great gains, BUT he was much more experienced than me and the training style was ultimately not what i wanted to be doing. He was a great proponant of bp splits, and as a conditioning coach for (non natural) bb'ing competitors his training methods are a million miles away from where I am now. Yes he gave me some good instruction on different exercises for different parts of the muscle, and if I ever wanted to compete and sculpt my body then i wouldnt hesitate to get with him again.

Trouble is there are so FEW likeminded people around that i could train with. people who just want to move weight, people who see the benefit in the basics and dont get bogged down in curls and rubbish like that.

I would love a training partner who had similar goals to me, and more importantly a similar idea of how to get there, but as i have said they are few and far between, especially in South Wales the home of the S.A.S (sunbeds and steriods) warrior.

A training partner is a fantastic tool, as long as they are the right one. If they arent then they can be more of a hinderance.

Like anything in life choose wisely

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:33 AM   #17
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

Exactly Carl that's the last point I forgot to mention: if you can't find at least one good training partner, you're better off training alone rather than lifting with someone who isn't right.

LtL
Old 08-29-2011, 04:35 AM   #18
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Good stuff here LtL. I need a training partner!

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:42 AM   #19
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
Good stuff here LtL. I need a training partner!
Ill train with you Gasp

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #20
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

That needs to be an article on MAB. Would you mind?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote