Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #211
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The bench press per se is not a risky exercise. When done right, it can help improve upper body strength and size. It's only when form takes a back seat to numbers and when it's grossly overtrained that problems result. Injuries occur in the shoulders and elbows when the bench press is overtrained, poor technique is used, such as rebounding the bar off the chest and bridging, no other exercises for the upper body are included in the program, and there are no core exercises done for the upper back. Quite often, it's a combination all these factors.

--Bill Starr

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #212
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

JM Blakely Quotes

"Admit that you are under-eating!"

"I don't feel sorry for those who lack the discipline to eat more"

"I don't believe you if you tell me you can't eat more than you're eating now"

"You must not excuse yourself from eating what you are supposed to when you are supposed to"

"Carry mayo with you and add lots of it to everything"

"Dip potato chips in honey"

"Always have a jar of peanuts in your car"

"It takes less than 50 seconds to eat two candy bars"

"Never drink any fluids that don't have calories"

"Above all, you must accept the inarguable fact that you must put more food into your mouth"

"Remember - If you want to beat the man, you've gotta out-eat the man!"

Old 08-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #213
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
JM Blakely Quotes

"Admit that you are under-eating!"

"I don't feel sorry for those who lack the discipline to eat more"

"I don't believe you if you tell me you can't eat more than you're eating now"

"You must not excuse yourself from eating what you are supposed to when you are supposed to"

"Carry mayo with you and add lots of it to everything"

"Dip potato chips in honey"

"Always have a jar of peanuts in your car"

"It takes less than 50 seconds to eat two candy bars"

"Never drink any fluids that don't have calories"

"Above all, you must accept the inarguable fact that you must put more food into your mouth"

"Remember - If you want to beat the man, you've gotta out-eat the man!"
Only just discovered this man but he is AWESOME!

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #214
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Posted this elsewhere and had to remind someone that if you eat like this you have to train twice as hard as you eat.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #215
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
If you can grow a beard and don't, you will go to hell. It's a fact.
--Jim Wendler
Old 08-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #216
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Best quote ever.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #217
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Best quote ever.
Agreed

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #218
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Dan John Quotes

"Most champions are built by punch the clock workouts rather than extraordinary efforts."

"Recovery doesn't come in a can. Recovery is sleep."

"Back in the 1970s, I ate a high-protein diet to get bigger and stronger. As a senior at Utah State, I weighed 218 pounds with eight percent body fat, and threw the discus over 190 feet.

Then I got some advice from the people at the Olympic Training Center. I needed carbs, they advised, and lots of them. They pointed to studies done on the American distance runners. Being an idiot, I took the advice to eat like emaciated, over-trained sub-performers. It took years of high carbohydrate grazing to learn the evils of this advice."

"Years ago at a clinic, a young man told me, "Squats hurt my knees." I asked him to demonstrate for me, and after he did said bluntly, "Squats don't hurt your knees; what you are doing hurts your knees."

"Look at your goals. Look at your behavior. Does your behavior match your goals?"

"Someday you're going to pay for the 10,000 crunches you were sure would build a six pack. Instead, those built a bad lower back. Ab work does absolutely nothing for you. Just ask any long-time strength coach."

"The Soviets did a study about the correlation between maximum Olympic lifts and assistance exercises. The first four lifts with “highest correlation” for helping on the competition platform were:

Power Clean
Power Snatch
Clean
Overhead Squat

An article on one of America’s lifting superstars once summarized his secret with this wonderful line: “through extensive work on the powerclean had laid the foundation for John Terpak’s versatile athletic success.”

The Russians noted in the 1970′s that, simply, “A lifter must do many power cleans and squats to succeed.”

I’m also convinced that power cleans are one of the “secrets” to gaining muscle weight."

Old 08-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #219
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." - Mahatma Gandhi

Old 08-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #220
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Some do not like his brash straight forwardness, but I do. Tell me like it is so I can fix shit, baby! There is no room for a friggen cry baby in this body, I have work to do:

A quote from Lyle McDonald:

It's hard in that hard work is hard (in the sense of being effortful), because it's hard.

And people are lazy. The discomfort that is required to make progress at anything is beyond most people. It gets a little bit difficult and they stop.

I knew a guy back in Austin who did supplements and always asked me to design him one that 'worked'. I said come up with something that would make people actually put some effort into the gym and watch their diets. That's what works.

I also think it's 'hard' in that there is such vast mis-information out there. 99% of what's in bodybuilding comic books is garbage, a bunch of stuff that nobody actually does made doubly irrelevant by the drug use of professionals. Nobody knows how to train naturals any more and everybody ends up on idiotic training schemes focusing on the wrong things (the pump, exhaustion, etc) so of course they don't grow.

And it's in the magazines vested interest to make those guys think that the solution is a pill. Because giving free training advice that works doesn't make you money, selling a stupid supplement at $45/month for a year does.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote