Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

I think Orton, and many of the modern guys could have potential. The problem appears to be at the top.

Bring on the next Goldberg...
Orton has been at the top of the card a few times. He had a great run with the "Legend Killer" angle. HHH, Taker etal. are slow to let mid-carders up to the top for long and believe in that very old school way that letting them up and then beating them is a way to elevate the mid-carder's status. Remember how Jericho (a mid-carder) flew to the top of the card by beating HHH quickly and then having it reversed? He got too popular and got shunted back down quickly.

For there to be a new Goldberg, there have to be people like Booker, Benoit and Jericho to carry him to good matches. He was fun to look at and was impressively strong, but he couldn't wrestle. I miss Rhino.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post
For there to be a new Goldberg, there have to be people like Booker, Benoit and Jericho to carry him to good matches. He was fun to look at and was impressively strong, but he couldn't wrestle. I miss Rhino.
I guess I just miss the era when new guys were introduced that brought about the "holy sh*t, look at them" factor. It's not so much about Goldberg. I guess it's more that there aren't as many "wow" wrestlers anymore.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #13
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

You speak truth Nard. Good knowledge.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The Road Warriors. Abdullah. The Iron Sheik. Big John Studd. Kane. King Kong Bundy.

Just big, scary dudes.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #15
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn

MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
I guess I just miss the era when new guys were introduced that brought about the "holy sh*t, look at them" factor. It's not so much about Goldberg. I guess it's more that there aren't as many "wow" wrestlers anymore.
Ah, I see your point. Well, it's kinda hard now with the steroid testing (Even though HHH still seems to keep all his pre-testing size. Being married to the boss' daughter does seem to have its advantages). HHH used to be the size of Edge, for goodness sakes. Now, most of the roster has really shrunk. So, someplace like TNA, where guys aren't tested, will have some larger dudes.

It's not that HHH can't have good matches-- he can and does, although after ripping both quads he is a LOT slower and less athletic than he used to be. More the problem is there were not ready for the loss of the Rock. Someone like HHH and Taker need a big magnetic personality to play against. Rock decides to leave (and some would say was forced out by HHH) and more (people unable/unwiling to use Jericho or Jeff Jarret) and you are left with that you have: HHH-Taker for the millionth time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
You speak truth Nard. Good knowledge.

LtL
Thanks, Al. I was a huge fan for many years. Used to hang on on fora and chat with a bunch of buddies from all over (which is how I met a lot of folk I know in other states).

Quote:
The Road Warriors. Abdullah. The Iron Sheik. Big John Studd. Kane. King Kong Bundy.

Just big, scary dudes.
True. Also: Demolition. Sid Vicious. Nikita Koloff. Kane.

Or someone like Arn Anderson who, although not the biggest, was SO Effen badass that you dared not mess with him.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post

True. Also: Demolition. Sid Vicious. Nikita Koloff. Kane.

Or someone like Arn Anderson who, although not the biggest, was SO Effen badass that you dared not mess with him.
Arn Anderson is a solid example.

The type of wrestlers that just looked tough as nails, and no matter who they were fighting, you knew it would be a good match.

Back in the late 90's before the unmasking, Kane had that feeling. He was just a bad ass. The Undertaker when he was with Paul bearer was like that too.

I guess it was about mystique. Maybe that's what's missing. They used to introduce bad ass wrestlers, and give them some build up. It was like a slow boil.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #17
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I think you've hit the nail on the head. There is no slow boil now. There is no long back story. It's a bit too simple. I am only an occasional watcher now but I can name three characters introduced in the last 12 months:

- Alberto Del Rio
- Kong
- Sin Cara

Of the three none have an appreciable back story although all were advertised by name before the debuted and of the three only Sin Cara is an athletic wrestler. Disappointing.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I saw Brodus Clay during Wrestlemania and he kind of reminded me of the bad ass type guy. I wanted to learn more about him, rather than watching Del Rio wrestle.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #19
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn

And the way to learn more about him is for him to cut effective and riveting promos (who was ever better than Rock, Flair and Austin at that?) an then have solid in-ring performances.

Most guys can't talk for themselves and they don't seem to give them spokesmen anymore.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #20
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Without Austin and The Rock at the last Wrestlemania, it would have been extremely flat.