Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
highkick09
Max Brawn
Points: 3,980, Level: 40 Points: 3,980, Level: 40 Points: 3,980, Level: 40
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

highkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributor
Default Ckd?keto advice? & urgent!

I have restricted myself some more today to jump into ketos tomorrow, I got into the finals for modelling, I was wndering will a keto diet increase acne or give me ance on it? advice?

I read that it will actually clear up your skin but low carbs is the sweet sport of clear skin. I have clear skin which makes me think I should just continue the way i am until summer and do it then.

Alternatively I can give the ketos a try this week & if any acne shows jump out of it?

also once on ketos is it every 6th & 7th day you recarb?

thanks again
Old 05-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

I've never heard of Keto being used to fight or prevent acne, nor Keto causing acne. The only side effect I had was headaches and lack of energy. I learned the headaches were normal for the first few days as the body adjusts to burning ketones(fat) instead of carbs. The low energy was due to me not eating enough good fats..

It usually takes a few days to see any changes, as the body will burn all available carbs and glucose before making the switch to ketones for energy.

As for when to carb-up, that is user-decided, as opposed to a set standard. I think most people go with a carb refeed every week, for an 18-36 hour period. I first read of Keto and people going a full 10 days without taking in significant carbs, then having a refeed. Using that method means you'll have to rework your gym schedule to stay in line with the refeed, if you wanted to. The once-a-week refeed is much easier to manage and set timing on, so a lot of people have been using that type of cycle.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
highkick09
Max Brawn

highkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributorhighkick09 is a dedicated contributor

Thank you, I train 6 days a week so sunday will be my recarb day? what carbs on sunday are peas & lentils ok? also you have to watch your calories on this diet?

finally i am using a fat burner with this, it was given to me by my coach, they really get you into shape very fast, so I thought why not CKD it, I haven't much to lose, looking for that 6 pack. I do core & stability this is an experiment & mental conditioning to do this diet & learn from the experience.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I get some minor acne but not sure if it's from the added fat intake, or if it's hormonal. It's not on my face though.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
highkick09
Max Brawn

thanks BTB. Talking calories how many calories on this diet? i roughly calculated my bodyweight which says my ideal calories anywhere between 2450-2650.

so hitting 2000-2200 calories should be good on ketos. Also using a fat burner so might only need 4 weeks this or even two weeks who knows.

Finally Broccoli,green beans,onions & mushrooms all go!

on my rest day (Sunday) what carbs are on the menu just have what i usually have lentils,legumes,peas & protein foods?

how many carbs read people totally go of the hook on carbs like eat whatever for 24-36 hours. anyone help me with this?
Old 05-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highkick09 View Post
I have restricted myself some more today to jump into ketos tomorrow, I got into the finals for modelling, I was wndering will a keto diet increase acne or give me ance on it? advice?

I read that it will actually clear up your skin but low carbs is the sweet sport of clear skin. I have clear skin which makes me think I should just continue the way i am until summer and do it then.

Alternatively I can give the ketos a try this week & if any acne shows jump out of it?

also once on ketos is it every 6th & 7th day you recarb?

thanks again
Whether or not it can/may cause acne, I've no idea, but waiting until after summer seems to make more sense since it's a modelling final and your skin is already clear at the moment.

Any alteration in diet can cause skin eruptions due to better nutrients flushing out toxins or due to the new diet causing blockages and toxin build-ups; either way though, breakouts may take time to go down once they flare up and it all depends on whether that is a wise situation to be in especially if it may adversely affect the finals that you speak of.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Don't expect super short results with Keto. You get your body into a cyclic routine of having fat for energy, then some carbs to refill the muscles glycogen store for the next week, then back to high fat. It takes time, and I can't say you'd see permenent results that quickly. In the first 2 weeks, you'll lose 5-10lbs real quick, but that is just the excess water and carbs being pushed through the body. You really need to dedicate a minimum of 6-8 weeks to make Keto truly effective.

As for cals and fatburners... Cals should be standard deficit from your maint cal level, about 500 below. I would stay off of fatburners during Keto to start. Your body will be under enough stress trying to find energy to burn prior to ketosis. No need to tax the CNS anymore. Let the diet do it's thing, then run the fatburner when you back to eating carbs.

And on the refeeds, you want higher good carbs, and lower fat. Protein should stay about the same. A proper keto diet is 65% Fat, 35% Protein, 5% Carbs....so on a refeed day, swap the 65% Fat for Carbs and vice-versa, go to 5% Fat.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote