Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What goes through your mind while training? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6222)

dmaipa 05-12-2011 05:18 PM

What goes through your mind while training?

Im just curious to see what the rest of you think about while training? especially during those sets where your body is telling you to stop but your mind wants to keep going, or when you are about to attempt a personal record, what goes on in your mind?

BendtheBar 05-12-2011 05:32 PM

My kind is usually focused on one of 2 things.

1) One more rep. I am completely obsessed with progression and it's what I think about 90% of the time.

2) The other 10% I am generally obsessive about doing things that are supposedly incorrect...like building big arms without bicep moves. I know this sounds strange, but I like to yell at doubters in between sets. I really have a deep-seated distaste for OCD beliefs, for better or worse, and it often consumes me when training.

dmaipa 05-12-2011 05:59 PM

It's funny because I tried doing the mad thing and swearing quietly to myself or shake the bar a little but it doesn't work much..haha.

I sometimes do reverse psychology, and say EASY..but i also do the same and say 1 more rep, 1 more rep until i pretty much shit myself hahah

Rich Knapp 05-12-2011 06:28 PM

1. I'm a Pro, push it like a Pro. Earn my keep.
2. Hit another rep. , Jr. is gunning for me and hitting it harder, so I have to hit it harder yet.
3. One lax day is one day the other get closer to me.

bamazav 05-12-2011 06:37 PM

1. How am I gonna get these kids though college?
2. What do I have to do the rest of the day?
3. It is only 8:30 am, isn't it time for lunch yet?

When I am focused it usually something like, "don't drop you idiot, lift it" or "what would I look like with a beard and haircut like Steve?"

dmaipa 05-12-2011 06:54 PM

here's what dave tate does, crazy!

glwanabe 05-12-2011 07:35 PM

While a lot of people get all noisy, and put on a big bravado show before a heavy lift, I'm just the opposite.

I stay fairly quiet, and contain my energy. I generally have a damn good idea that I can make a lift i'm going to make. Since I work out alone, I don't generally stray to far from known waters.

During the course of any normal session, I'm in a happy place. I tend to have a bit of a dialogue with the bar. The bar is my friend, and a tool that is helping me to get better. I don't see the bar as an enemy to be conquered. It is the means by which I work.

I used to have music playing, but lately, I like it quiet, and I like to be alone with my thoughts. I hate being interrupted, it takes me out of my zone.

I don't spend a lot of time contemplating a set. I simply load the plates, and do the work. I talk to myself if I'm having a struggle, "give me one more" "rack it, and rest pause those last two reps." "Thats enough for today."

I need that time with the bar. It is my time to clear my head, and let all of my stress subside. Sadly, I'mnot getting enough of that time right now, and I really need it. I'm as stressed right now, as I have been at any point in my life. I tried to lift today, but with only about 8 hours sleep in the last two days, 115lbs felt like 1000. Tomorrow I hope to feel better, and put in a real session.

IronManlet 05-12-2011 10:20 PM

I don't normally have loud psyche-ups, but when I do get up to/under the bar I'll growl at it some and get angry with it. I see the weights as something to overcome, and I commit to beating that lift.

I generally use lifting as a way to let out a lot of pent-up anger and frustration, so you'll almost never see me calm during my sessions. I laugh and joke between lifting, but when it's time to move some iron I'm a serious guy and I've had people tell me they just stay away from me because of how I look after I Deadlift...haha

dmaipa 05-12-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 136971)

During the course of any normal session, I'm in a happy place. I tend to have a bit of a dialogue with the bar. The bar is my friend, and a tool that is helping me to get better. I don't see the bar as an enemy to be conquered. It is the means by which I work.

I know what you mean about this. I'm pretty much a happy/positive guy all the time. :march:

The Iron is there to help us

BendtheBar 05-12-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 136953)
"what would I look like with a beard and haircut like Steve?"

Hopefully prettier. A buzzed head and a beard can turn even the prettiest man into someone that scares small children...