Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #21
recarp82
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,307, Level: 20 Points: 1,307, Level: 20 Points: 1,307, Level: 20
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

recarp82 is new to the forumrecarp82 is new to the forum

i dont know squat about the conan books but apparently hes (the stargate atlantis guy)is more of what he looked like originally then arnold did.i dont know but to me conan should be a monster not a semi-built guy.
recarp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #22
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I rather see 250 lbs of ripped beast with poor acting skills than 175 lbs of chest n biceps with semi-good acting talent to play a comicbook character thats supposed to be big.

That guys acting fits more into The Bold and the Beautiful or some shit like that.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #23
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
I rather see 250 lbs of ripped beast with poor acting skills than 175 lbs of chest n biceps with semi-good acting talent to play a comicbook character thats supposed to be big.

That guys acting fits more into The Bold and the Beautiful or some shit like that.
See, I absolutely don't get that. I could not enjoy a film with some wrestler dude chewing his way through crummy lines, except in a 'so bad it's good' kind of way.

There's a reason why Reg Park and co never broke out of low budget B movies - they just weren't convincing. Likewise why Victor Mature was chosen over Steeve Reeves to play Samson.

Likewise Nathan Jones - he's never, ever going to play the lead in a film, because if you give him centre stage for more than a few minutes he's going to ruin it.

You put a genuine bodybuilder in a film and usually, the only people its going to appeal to are other bodybuilders and pre-teen boys.

I can think of two exceptions of big giys who can carry a movie:

1) Arnold, I think his movie career was built on an almost supernatural ability to pick movies that played to his strengths and avoided his weaknesses.

2) Dwayne Chambers (?The Rock)- has a bit of lunky charm to him.
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #24
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
See, I absolutely don't get that. I could not enjoy a film with some wrestler dude chewing his way through crummy lines, except in a 'so bad it's good' kind of way.

There's a reason why Reg Park and co never broke out of low budget B movies - they just weren't convincing. Likewise why Victor Mature was chosen over Steeve Reeves to play Samson.

Likewise Nathan Jones - he's never, ever going to play the lead in a film, because if you give him centre stage for more than a few minutes he's going to ruin it.

You put a genuine bodybuilder in a film and usually, the only people its going to appeal to are other bodybuilders and pre-teen boys.

I can think of two exceptions of big giys who can carry a movie:

1) Arnold, I think his movie career was built on an almost supernatural ability to pick movies that played to his strengths and avoided his weaknesses.

2) Dwayne Chambers (?The Rock)- has a bit of lunky charm to him.
I see what you mean by this, absolutely. But for me, the thing about this kind of movies (based on comics) are all about making the comic come to life in moving pictures and give out the same feeling as i got when i read em.

I wont get that if the actor is too far from the hero, both by manners and looks.

Its a whole other thing with movies like Troy, which are supposed to reasemble reality, and in that case the acting is of much more importance.
But for "comic-movies" i want effects, violence, women and big angry guys slaying each others, just like in the papers.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #25
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100

Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
I see what you mean by this, absolutely. But for me, the thing about this kind of movies (based on comics) are all about making the comic come to life in moving pictures and give out the same feeling as i got when i read em.

I wont get that if the actor is too far from the hero, both by manners and looks.

Its a whole other thing with movies like Troy, which are supposed to reasemble reality, and in that case the acting is of much more importance.
But for "comic-movies" i want effects, violence, women and big angry guys slaying each others, just like in the papers.
Different strokes for different folks.

I think that the actors for comic films are always going to be slightly disappointing, because comics are drawn in a stylised ways, and real humans don't look like that.

Maybe it's an age thing. I grew up in the 70s, when all effects were rubbish, actors playing heroes usually had no muscle, and fight scenes were lame. So maybe my expectations about that stuff are much more easily satisifed. I don't know.

I was a massive Marvel comics fan, and I still like to see comic based films. But for me, when you go from one medium to another, you have to adjust or it's going to look ridiculous. If characters on screen speak like they do in comics, it screams 'fake' at me much more than an inadequate set of lats.

My prime example would be Zack Snyder's 300. I'm told it's very close to the Frank Miller graphic novel. Real or digital, the physiques are awesome. Yet I thought it was a stupid, stupid film, one of the worst I've seen for years. Every line was chronic. The physiques couldn't save it - in fact they made it even sillier (that Mr. America line-up can march 30 miles a day?). Whereas Iron Man, with a bit of wit and a charismatic lead from Robert Downey Jnr, was a lot of fun.

All in my opinion.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #26
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Whey Powder
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
I like Arnold, but he was laughable in Conan. "...Und hear de lamentations ov de vimmin."
Take it back!

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #27
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Whey Powder
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

Quote:

^ This.

Conan and Thor, especially the latter, are supposed to be larger than life, not guys who look like they couldn't pull a 2x BW deadlift and are bereft of a back, ass, and legs.

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #28
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member
Default Crom laffs @ your 4 winds

Is this movie "conan" supposed to be me when I was a toddler?
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #29
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Saw Thor over the weekend. Enjoyed the movie.

I thought Hemsworth embodied the part all the way around. I don't think he looked small overall (except in a few scenes) but when he looked big, he looked massive: when he was trying to pull the hammer in the rain and mud, when he was fighting people in the hospital, and fighting people on way to get his hammer.

I suppose he could have been even bulkier, but given the "arrogance" of Thor, it makes sense that he would have visible abs, in a sense. According to published reports, he gained 20 pounds for the film and they listed his trainer, Duffy Gaver, in the credits. (Note: If you see the movie, sit through all the credits for more movie goodness)

In the end, he only needs to look bigger than everyone else around him and he accomplished that.

I think we should keep in mind how big most of us would look on a screen next to Joe Actor (as most actors are short and very skinny/lean). So, for things like this, its all about perspective. For example, they had Anthony Hopkins stand on boxes next to him to make Odin look taller (since Hopkins is short).

Also--I think it there IS something to be said about having quality actors play these "larger than life" roles. It brings a little extra believability to the movie, IMO. Not saying the huge Aussie couldn't play a superhero, but if you are banking a 2-4 movie franchise on someone, the studios are going to pick an actor over a wrestler or UFC guy.

In other news: Hugh Jackman has been told to be bigger for the next Wolverine movie. Word was he was about 210 last time (and lighter in the X-Men Films). I thought I read that we was aiming for 220-225. The Director thinks that in Wolverine, he looked big up close, but too lean in the far shots.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #30
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWeasel View Post
^ This.

Conan and Thor, especially the latter, are supposed to be larger than life, not guys who look like they couldn't pull a 2x BW deadlift and are bereft of a back, ass, and legs.
This post rocks. Your desire for a more impressive Thor extends even to his ass. That's what I call a fan.

Dear Kenneth Branagh,

I am writing to complain about Thor's ass - it was by no means full and round enough. I didn't shell out my hard-won dollars to see a man with a flat, normal-sized ass. Why oh why didn't you choose someone like Nathan Jones, who has a bad-ass ass, the godly ass that Thor demands.

Last edited by Tannhauser; 05-09-2011 at 05:18 PM.